PDA

View Full Version : Weight Reduction

holy_inferno
06-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Which parts can I change or remove on my MinInferno that will help on weight reduction? Without affecting performance/durability?

...I'm keeping the stock electronics for the time being, and I think I even added some weight onto my MinInferno with my oil shocks, alloy shock towers, XSpeed (maybe?) and deans connectors :(

BitHed
06-22-2005, 12:56 AM
...all i can tell you is what i have done...

...right now its is 655 grams, no body no batteries...

...ALL 3mm screws replaced with titanium...some screws are also SHORTER than stock...3Racing titanium turnbuckles and torque rods...

...no battery doors, hinges removed...

...titanium slipper, alloy tower on front, carbon on rear, carbon front top plate, flourine coated pillow balls in ALL spots...front torque rod 'lower' pillow ball raised to sit on top of center gear box, lower pillow ball mount shaved from gear box...

...carbon hinge plates front and rear...

...no FRONT deck, the one that sits OVER the servo...its gone...its no more...

...i cant BELIEVE the weight savings you get from a brushless esc :D

...BAD IDEAS...

...do NOT cut the rear upper deck where your electronics sit...you actually lose some stiffness...try and KEEP the SERVO mount and the CENTER diff JOINED together...the servo mount will 'bow' out a little bit and you lose the tiniest bit of stiffness...

...PLACES to BITE THE BULLET...

3racing stiffener plate in the rear...its good...FiveStars alloy drive shafts from the center diff; only 1 gram more than stock plastic but ZERO flex...ATOMIC alloy gears, they are cast NOT billet but they are still pretty good...1:10 rims will increase the weight, maybe different shock springs will too, maybe your oils / lubes will blah blah...its a never ending spiral...drop a pound gain a pound...

holy_inferno
06-22-2005, 01:28 AM
Thanks, Bit for the nice information...but I have some questions...bear this

Without the battery doors, wouldn't the battery pack fall out upon flipping or impact? Without the front upper plate, where'd you put the antenna? Where did you get the Ti screw?

Another question to make your life difficult ;) Why does my car always does a front flip when jumping... is the front end heavy, is it my jumping technique, or both?

Thanks again :)

BitHed
06-22-2005, 01:43 AM
...battery packs fit nicely under the lip of the rear top plate...bit of velcro helps too ;) They pop out i pop them back in..no worries...

...the antenna hole: i chopped that from the rest of the front plate and I am using it...I am using an alloy antenna mount...should be 4-5 bucks at your LHS...

...The whole Japan RC industry is held together with Ti screws...check your LHS..they may have the 'sepaerate' screws hidden away...take your manual with you and go through part by part for the right sizes...in someplaces you can away with shorter ones...

...front flip? im not great on dynamics but if power ON is UP and power OFF is DOWn then you MIGHT be losing power to your diffs when the car is in the air? Hence causing it to pitch forward? Thats a question hopefully one of the 'driving techs' can answer...

holy_inferno
06-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Can you take a picture of what your MinInferno looks now under the body? Me wanna see.. :D

Found some Kyosho Ti screws at Stellamodels.. but 74 dollars?! and they're still phillips heads

Again...Thanks :)

.5x8
06-22-2005, 02:21 AM
=] i would like to see that oo bit..i do hate the stock antenna holder though

BitHed
06-22-2005, 11:42 AM
....you dont want the KYOSHO screws...IF i was a functioning seller I would do you a set dirt cheap...but unforunately the tide has turned and i can no longer...

...will try to get pics for y'all...

adrenalinrush123998
06-22-2005, 04:58 PM
your car tilts foward when jumping because your not applying enough power,
once you are in the air, very quickly let off the throttle (for like...a milisecond) and then punch it in again, hard, the momentum of the wheels or whatever spins the car backwards while in the air......likewise if you slamm on the breaks in mid-air the car somesaults forward...throttle adjustments make a ton of difference while flying an r/c car

i might not have all the physics all right.....
but punching the throttle will always make the car tilt back, and the brakes (or reverse for some extreme flips) will tilt it forward

.5x8
06-22-2005, 07:21 PM
what does that have to do with the topic.

holy_inferno
06-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Or could it be that the car does a front flip because of the momentum of the rear wheels? As the car leaves the ramp, the front wheels comes off first, it's still spinning but has no ground underneath it to gain speed..But the rear wheels are still on the ramp and gaining speed because it still has ground...Therefore, when the whole car leaves the ramp, the rear has more speed coming off, and its momentum flips the car...

Dunno what I just typed, confused myself...damn :confused: :D

.5x8
06-22-2005, 09:16 PM
lol....it flips forward when u dont give it gas because the wheels dont spin..that means air pushing ONTOP of the nose..so it heads down...and when u give it gas the wheels spin and rotate the air to the bottom which push up...i think thats what happens..OR the momentum of the wheels make the car's nose goes up when u give it gas...but either way....i dont let go of the throttle..lol im a throttle freak..the only time i even let go of the throttle is slowing down to a not really wide turn..or if its a sharp turn..i swing the tail...=] thats how i drive :D

Hawk
06-23-2005, 12:59 AM
With throttle, brake and steering of the front wheels you can change the attitude of the vehicle in mid air. You can completely turn the car over and do a flip and land flat on the wheels, time after time with a little practice.
If you don't set up your line on a jump, you can compensate with throttle (torque, procession really like a gyroscope) to raise the front of the vehicle. The faster the wheels spin (and the bigger the wheels are, think monster truck) the more force is applied to tip the front up and rear down.
If you apply brakes to the spinning wheels it pulls the nose down and pushes rear end up.
If you turn the front wheels left or right and give it a little throttle, it turns that direction. The whole car rotates or turns on a vertical axis approximately through the center differential (center of the rotating masses).
So you can take a jump, turn 90 degrees right and pop the nose down just infront of the ramp for the next jump. Just as the front wheels touch the ground, hit the throttle and you are screaming up the next ramp with out turning on the ground on a berm, .5 seconds ahead of the rest of the cars on the same jump with you. It is awesome to seem, almost like ballet. Very repeatable but takes lots of practice to do it consistently well.
I can't do it, I don't drive. My son can on a good day and I am just amazed.

Also, if you hit it hard in the air, land flat with the wheels spinning much faster than the speed through the air, you rish breaking several important parts. Diff pins that hold the side and planetary gears take a beating. They are really hard to break because they are short and hardened steel. (not on an H8) Landing flat on all four with the engine at 38K rpm will do that though.

In the case of the H8, the nose is very heavy and it is difficult to not nose over but I think Ronny said he could control it well. He is one of the World's 1/8 drivers so I would not be just any one can. :cool:

.5x8
06-23-2005, 02:13 AM
lol i can control it pretty good..i never nose dived with my h8 before.....but iono bout ronny..he is a way better driver than i am...but im just saying i can control it too =]