PDA

View Full Version : how fast?

.5x8
06-19-2005, 02:29 AM
yo i need some info on this! lol! how fast is da h8 with a aon 4900 with a mamba 25 esc, and some URC x42 8 cell nimhs? :D

i think probably 40-45 mph...my dad says im wrong..he says this car is a waste of time and a waste of money and is a big mistake....i wanna prove him wrong...so BITHED! i know u can get this info for me cuz u kewl like that! lol SO what do you guys the MPH of this baby with that combo is?

.5x8
06-19-2005, 07:34 PM
o come on..i know one of you guys knows this....

holy_inferno
06-19-2005, 09:20 PM
..Unless someone owns a speed radar, its gonna be hard to tell..Without one, one can only guess :)

To me.. a Mini Inferno as my first RC, It goes fast ENOUGH with an XSpeed and URC 8-cell :D

mOOsE
06-19-2005, 10:10 PM
I seriousely doubt that they go 40-45 mph. I would guess around 30. I am not running that setup but I do know that 4900kv is only about 47000 rpm at 9.6 volts. A 4.8v graupner is about that many with 9.6 volts. But you can gear up with the brushless and have longer runtimes. I could be wrong but there aren't any high rpm brushless to support the Half8 yet. Hopefully someone with that setup can do a speed test to help everyone out.

.5x8
06-19-2005, 11:07 PM
-_- 30?!?!?!? i have a speed 400 motor 6v with 8 cell....omg....theres no way its that slow...

if thats so..im sticking in a 6800....man wheres bithed..i know he knows the answer to this =]

BLACKHAWK444
06-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Well once you get ball bearings and lube up all the diffs and get everything tuned right, that setup will probably go around 35-40MPH. That is just a estimation though. To tell you the truth people, think that lower speeds are actually higher speeds. If you think its fast, you don't need anything faster, lol.

BitHed
06-19-2005, 11:46 PM
...i know nothing...

.5x8
06-20-2005, 12:02 AM
hmm..o bithed..can you make a vid? lol i would like to see bithed to make a vid. i am sure others would agree =] but if you dont have a camera its aiite :D

what do you guys think of the mamba 6800 in the h8? is there a torque problem since its so small?

WhoMe
06-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Everyone new to RC asks the speed question. The reality is IF you could get your H8 to move 30 mph then you have yourself a fast H8. My touring car barely gets going faster than 30 or 40 and its a blast and seems super fast. I guess what Im trying to say is that...if it LOOKS fast to you..then its fast. I wouldnt become to fixated on the actual MPH. And to those who have driven RC cars that move 40 mph or faster..KNOW...those are some hairy speeds even with a 10th scale.

holy_inferno
06-20-2005, 12:53 AM
..To calculate speed, use a stopwatch, measure 25 metres, the 1/16th quarter mile (I think)... run the MinInferno the length of the 25m with a full throttle start... take the time to run the 25m... and divide distance (25m) by time (seconds) to get speed of metres/second... :)
...Then take the answer of metres (meters for Americans) multiply by 3.6, then that's the answer for kph.. for mph, take the speed of kph and multiply by 0.6214...

This method is probably wrong, but how should a 14 year old know that much? :D

BitHed
06-21-2005, 01:28 PM
...WhoMe makes an EXTREMELY valid point...one which i wish the whole world would agree with..Speed is in the eye of the beholder...if it feels fast to you, good job...if its TOO fast, you will break it...if its too slow...move on...nice job buddy...you are beginning to get wise in your old 'RC' age ;)

plain_simple
06-21-2005, 01:33 PM
LMAO very good point bithead :D

BitHed
06-21-2005, 01:37 PM
...just following WhoMe's lead...He got the brains, BitHed got the looks ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/DSC05067.jpg

WhoMe
06-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I have got to get me a pair of those glasses.

.5x8
06-21-2005, 02:35 PM
DAYUM BIT! is that the PORSCHE SUV? lol **holds out hands** i want a present! lol yeh thanks guys..welli ahve a speed 400 in there..and i need just some more power...so i can CLEAR the jumps at socal raceway. i guess i will be paying a visit to ultimate to get me the slipper gears that are chewed up, a pinion..and a nice hs-81 servo =]

BitHed
06-21-2005, 03:14 PM
...WhoMe...Oakley WireTaps with prescription lenses...VERY cool and VERY exclusive ;) AND froom the best damn glasses maker on the planet...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/OWTSI.jpg

TNB
06-21-2005, 04:33 PM
...just following WhoMe's lead...He got the brains, BitHed got the looks ;)
If I saw someone like that crawling out from the rear of an automobile, I'd be wondering if he was stealing something.... ;)

mOOsE
06-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Good point about the speed thing. I often find that with people just getting into RC. They have radiocrap RC's that go"25" on the box. Then they get a car that goes around 15-20 actuall and they think its like 50. The half eight is fairly quick with my tuned 4.8 graupner, and matched 8 cell pack putting out 12 volts. But I doubt its over 30. The only real way to test is to measure it out, have a buddy drive his car next to it (not over it) or buy a radar gun. Until then, my half eight is simply kinda fast. ;)
ps, I need some of those glasses!

.5x8
06-21-2005, 08:17 PM
i can use them glasses at shades! woo ill look around! =-]

adrenalinrush123998
06-21-2005, 08:26 PM
you could probably hit around 40 with the inferno..but it wouldnt be easy
youd need brushless, and lipos, and the car would be need to be all alloy and CF...then youd have to re-tune it and re-tune it....
id shoot for something a bit more recheable..like 25-30

and you should slap your dad with a large, mustard covered, salami...just right in the side of the head...rc's are totaly not a waste of money...what elese are gonna do with your money?
save up for real car? put it in the bank to buy a house and support a family someday? buy schoolbooks for collegde!? those are total wastes of money, not r/c

TNB
06-21-2005, 08:36 PM
The only real way to test is to measure it out, have a buddy drive his car next to it (not over it) or buy a radar gun. Until then, my half eight is simply kinda fast. ;)
Myself, I'll probably just clock the speed of my AON Brushless 14T 11.1v 3-Cell Lipo powered Kyosho Mini-Inferno with my Nomadio Sensor as soon as the latest transceiver arrives with the latest sensor probes since it is supposed to calculate mph. However, I am sure that it will be slower than the CM2080 I had in it before though the AON seems fast enough for the track. If that is not fast enough, I also have a brand new 16T laying around and another new CM2080.

.5x8
06-21-2005, 09:26 PM
did u have any problems with chewing gears with the CM2080?

TNB
06-21-2005, 09:30 PM
No, but the CM2080 would get hot. The motor mount did slip once and tore up my spur gear; however, that had nothing to do with the motor itself. I was using the AON when that happened anyway.

.5x8
06-21-2005, 09:43 PM
im gonna go on a shopping spree soon...just after i go visit my grandma in chicago..and recieve money for my academic award signed by the president :D yeh thats right. im a nerd! :p

any torque problems tnb?

TNB
06-21-2005, 10:28 PM
In my book, it's ok if you are a nerd and have some common sense too. After all, wasn't Bill Gates a Harvard nerd, then quit, and later hired his old roommate. Deep inside, he is probably laughing at a few people who thought he was a nerd. He also appears to have enough common sense to seek advice when needed or at least hire a consultant.

Regarding torque, it appears that many don't really like the CM2080 and perfer the lower Kv rated motors. To me, it just depends on how fast you want to run and where you can or want to run. A balance issue between top end and low end, but one can't really have both the cake and icing too. One can make up a lot of time on the straight but may loose ground in the turns. I'm simply not running the CM2080 in the Kyosho Mini-Inferno since it got a little hotter than I liked which is probably because the M-I appears to be heavier than the other 1/18th scales. Notice any Castle posts? If I ever get off my rear end, I'll probably drop one of my CM2080s in my 1/24th scale ABC DTMx4.

You should also remember that I am running my brushless Mini-Inferno on an 1/8th scale track. I also can't get on my Xray M18 (CM2080 and 11.1v 3-cell Lipo) full throttle other than for a short blip on the smaller local on-road track here though I should have no problems on the other two larger local on-road tracks--just haven't ran it out there.

Track Photos (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album661)

.5x8
06-21-2005, 10:51 PM
TNB i got a project for ya if u like doing projects..lol i dont ahve the balls to do it..i dont know what to do more liek it...i was just wondering if the AON 5800kv motor would fit in the h8 w/ few or no mods at all...i can get the mamba 6800 for 100 bucks...or get the aon 4900 for 140 bucks...which one should i choose? i think the 4900..since i heard it already owns with a 8 cell =]

holy_inferno
06-21-2005, 11:09 PM
...You guys (gurls in this forum?) are really rich...money to burn! :)

Anyways, you could go fast by really lowering the MinInferno, change the wheels and sport some weight reduction, make the car like those F1s, one crash and it's a goner!... but that would make it and on-road RC :D

.5x8
06-22-2005, 12:02 AM
im only 14...lol..i have just been saving money

TNB
06-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Anyways, you could go fast by really lowering the MinInferno, change the wheels and sport some weight reduction, make the car like those F1s, one crash and it's a goner!... but that would make it and on-road RC :D
If I wanted an on-road buggy, I would have purchased the A-Tech 1/18th scale mini-buggy. I also already have a few F1s.

.5x8,
I still have one AON motor I haven't even tried yet though I know it is slower or at least believe it is so since it has a lower Kv rating. Perhaps, a good crawler down the road. I just haven't been doing any projects lately since I've been hitting the public tracks with R/Cs that require more work more often since I no longer have my own track set up, i.e. the Mugen mbX5 and Mini-Inferno. And this weekend, I'll probably spend some time at the 1/4 scale track watching my 1/4 scale being run since I am not running it myself. Hopefully, it won't get messed up or Bennie will have my hide--that's Bennie the cat.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album284/BennieLay14Scale1crop.jpg

.5x8
06-22-2005, 01:29 AM
lol aiite kew...im going to pick the aon 4900 =]

mOOsE
06-22-2005, 03:01 AM
...You guys (gurls in this forum?) are really rich...money to burn! :)

haha. no money, just plastic. And you can always get more plastic woohoo.
I really should pay off some plastic..

TNB
06-23-2005, 03:34 AM
...WhoMe...Oakley WireTaps with prescription lenses...VERY cool and VERY exclusive ;) AND froom the best damn glasses maker on the planet...
Well they are not Oakley, but hopefully I'll be able to see and drive better. I got my new Marchon's today with beta-titanium frames. They weigh practically nothing.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album573/Marchon.jpg

.5x8
06-23-2005, 03:37 AM
niceee lol i dont wear glasses though x] hey bit...they got ur glasses as shades? and not liek seeing glasses? oo tat would be tight..lol or the oens that tint when it gets sunny..oo those are bad ass...

mOOsE
06-23-2005, 05:21 AM
I hate wearing my glasses, even though I have 20/10, I still got screwed with the whole astigmatism thing. Maybe I will look up those oakleys....

.5x8
06-23-2005, 05:25 AM
try contacts moose x]

HYDRACLEAR! lol u never know..those might work..try it. if u ahvent tried it

TNB
06-23-2005, 04:22 PM
I used to have 20/15 vision then I went to college, spent a lot of time on the computer, and got older. I tried contacts too, but my eyes seemed like they became more tired. At least with glasses, they add some protection to your eyes while with contacts, junk just gets in there an irritates them.