PDA

View Full Version : how to take slipper out

.5x8
06-10-2005, 12:44 AM
like the title says, how do i take the slipper out? :p sorry if its a noobie question....the slipper is new to me..so i dont know how to take it out.

holy_inferno
06-10-2005, 01:13 AM
I'm a newb also and this may be wrong, but I took the slipper out by removing the screws that held the center diff thingy to the chassis, remove the center diff from the chassis and took out the screws out that held the diff together, and there was the slipper... is this method right? :)

BitHed
06-10-2005, 03:27 AM
...THATS PRETTY MUCH IT...sorry caps on...

...remove the 5 screws that hold the center diff in...Well there are four screws and one pillow ball...be careful not to scratch the 'ball' part of the pillow ball...Scratching it will just mean it feels 'grainy' later on...

...remember that the DRIVE dog bones have one LONG spike and one short one...angle it so the SHORT one pops out first...When you fit them back on try the LONG one first...its easier...

...While you are in there check to see your DRIVE dog bones are straight...

...You also have the option of a bit of grease on each end, just a little bit, when you fit them back into their cups...

...good idea to clean the stock bearings if they are out anyway...my BIG one was awful from the start...De-lube to get rid of the chunky crap and RE-lube with your favourite...

...When you put the center diff back together with the 3 tiny lilltle screws try this...

...Looking from the rear there are two screws on the right and one on the left...Tighten the LEFT one down and leave the two RIGHT ones quite loose...It will affect the angle of the slipper shaft and the tightness of it...Have a play and see what you like...Its just an option...

...You can also shim the BIG bearing end of the slipper shaft if you would like to...

...BTW if you want to LIGHTEN the whole deal and you arent too fussed about it you have the option of using MINI Z wheel-bearing BUSHINGS inside the smaller gear on the slipper shaft...you can replace the two metal bushings that are stock...That is if you arent going to use bearings for a functional slipper...

..lastly MAKE SURE that your drive cups go on straight...if they are going on crooked then remove the screw, take all the crap out of the screw hole with a SHARP hobby knife and then screw back in...Should be good to go...Hope this helps a little bit...

.5x8
06-10-2005, 04:49 AM
alright it does help! but i just wanted to tighten it :p lol, can you re-explain taht thing about the spikes or watever about the dogbones?

BitHed
06-10-2005, 04:53 AM
...at each end of the dogbones are metal nipples...no idea of the real names...one is long and one is short...long IN first, short OUT first...Done...

.5x8
06-10-2005, 01:25 PM
thanks! you guys are da best! :D is there anyway i can tighten the slipper wihtout taking it out?

halfEIGHT
06-10-2005, 05:17 PM
...BTW if you want to LIGHTEN the whole deal and you arent too fussed about it you have the option of using MINI Z wheel-bearing BUSHINGS inside the smaller gear on the slipper shaft...you can replace the two metal bushings that are stock...That is if you arent going to use bearings for a functional slipper...

BH, can you post a pic or diagram of this setup?

halfEIGHT
06-10-2005, 05:18 PM
thanks! you guys are da best! :D is there anyway i can tighten the slipper wihtout taking it out?

You can tighten it by just wrenching up on the nut while holding the gear in position, best way I've found is w/ a rag so you don't a) hurt your fingers or b) hurt the gear from using something hard to immobilize it. However, I'd recommend taking the whole thing apart as you can get a much better grip on it, and it's a good chance to learn more about the car. :)

Hawk
06-10-2005, 07:53 PM
You can tighten it by just wrenching up on the nut while holding the gear in position, best way I've found is w/ a rag so you don't a) hurt your fingers or b) hurt the gear from using something hard to immobilize it. However, I'd recommend taking the whole thing apart as you can get a much better grip on it, and it's a good chance to learn more about the car. :)
;) There you go. That is why I prefer a kit to a RTR. I didn't want to wait with the H8 though because it looked so good and I wanted in on the bleeding edge. This site has added immeasurably to that (the edge, not the blood :D ) You guys are the most curios if have ever dealt with and that is a good thing.
:cool:

BitHed
06-10-2005, 11:42 PM
...halfeight you REALLY want a picture of plastic washers? lol...open it and see...you will understand it instantly...hard for me to get pics of anything that smnall anyway...just take out the metal bushing and replace it with the pastic bushings....but ONLY if your slipper is NON-FUNCTIONAL...

.5x8
06-11-2005, 01:31 PM
thanks guys...i tried to take it out...but it was like all this and tat....so i tried to use the towel and wrench technique.....omg that wrench sucks just to tell everyone....i had a perfect grip..and it just slips..after like 20 times trying to wrench..i was pissed...so i just went to the garage and got a metal one...now the slipper is tightend ALL THE WAY so that would work right? =]

.5x8
06-12-2005, 05:18 AM
well..i FINISHED THE BIG REBUILD! now.....i cranked down the slipper....i didnt take it out because it looked liek a PAIN IN THE ARSE to get taht thing out!!!!!! 5 screws on teh bottom..then takeing the pivot ball screws out?!?!? just to get the slipper? so i just cranked it down..and when i ran the car...(i have a 400 speed motor in it) it was slipping! i was like wtf....and then when i tried reverse..it went faster in reverse then going forward..then iw as really like WTF....so....I NEED THE QUICKEST AND EASIEST way to get the slipper out...and do the slipper mod? what do i need to do so it wont slip guaranteed even with a brushless in it?

.5x8
06-12-2005, 06:25 PM
nvm guys....last night i loosend up the slipper and compressed the spring...dropped in a couple of drops of super glue, and it fixed it! :)

akura2
06-12-2005, 09:22 PM
super glue?

oh well I guess your setup is how it's gonna be from now on

I just got the Atomic slipper pads from Stellamodels... I haven't tried it yet... I just put in the Ti turnbuckles from the shop here

BTW.. the turnbuckles were weird... there was one REALY short one, two medium short ones, three longer ones, and one really long one

:confused:

I figured that the really short one was for the steering rod and the two medium short ones were for the front upper arms and the longer ones were for the tierods.... but that left one long one and one really long one...... oh well

BitHed
06-12-2005, 11:44 PM
...rear torque rod :o

.5x8
06-13-2005, 01:31 AM
im looking for a aon 4900 soon..still trying to look for the BEST price

akura2
06-13-2005, 01:41 AM
...rear torque rod :o

that would almost make sense if there were more rods... but the only one that seems extra is the really short one... and THAT one is for the steering... unless you don't get rear turnbuckles in the set and the last two longest ones are for the front and rear torque rods instead... THAT would explain the mismatched lengths

.5x8
06-13-2005, 04:35 AM
well..sooner or later im gonna need to take out the slipper...and glue the thing shut so it doesnt slip forever....so.....5 screws under the chassis? i took those out..but the center diff still didnt move.....what other screws are there? and do i have to remove the place where the esc mounts on?

is there a EASY way to do it? lol

akura2
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
I took out the five screws for the center diff...and the one or two screws that hold the servo on...and you have to take out the ball stud for the front tourque rod (didn't know about THAT one until I had almost taken the whole thing apart trying to find out why it still wasn't coming out)

.5x8
06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
lol alright, thanks