PDA

View Full Version : Diff Strippage

tmizzle
06-09-2005, 04:28 PM
I figured it had to happen sooner or later but i stripped my rear pinion and ring gear in my rear diff. I am using the mamba 6800 setup.

Anyone else experience diff strippage yet?

I wonder if my slipper was to tight???

acsubie
06-09-2005, 05:26 PM
i stripped the rear pinion, but the other gear looked fine, very weird

Hawk
06-09-2005, 05:49 PM
You know, I look at a little differently. I have seen many people including me with stripped gears in diffs on 1/8 buggies. These are hardened steel gears. You carry spares if you race or you go to the lhs and buy a new one and replace it.

I don't see how plastic gears in diffs should last longer than the hardened steel. You can order the new gears after they fail or before. If you never break a set of gears, you are a very lucky person. If you put steel gears in you may in fact strip them too. Don't be too surprised.

There are things in terms of maintenance and normal care that you can do to help and make the best of what you have. Make sure they mesh well, use a lubricant. Too much lube is nearly as bad as too little. Adjust the backlash however you have too.

These are not a weak link in the drive train, they are consumable like all the drive components including motors, engines, diffs, outdrives, driveshafts, CVDs and swingshafts. OH, don't forget bearings. If you have it for a while, you will replace a bearing gone bad.

Now if you strip a gear every weekend, I would suggest that you are doing something wrong. You may break something two weekends in a row, back luck. But if you break the same part over and over there is something to be corrected. :cool:

halfEIGHT
06-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Hawk, just curious, what lube are you using?

Hawk
06-09-2005, 06:42 PM
I am not really running my H8 yet. I am waiting for parts to be available. I want to race it and I don't think it will be ready till some parts are available. I think things are showing up every day but the diff issue, either ball diff or reasonable degrees of silicone grease to control side gear loading are lacking. I keep looking for likely substitues to no good outcome yet. I would like to get a hold of wheels from Proline or Kyosho ( I have seen Kyosho wheels other than the 1/16th MP777 wheels). The tires are good for my many purpose so I will probably buy several sets because I guess they are going to wear fast with the open diffs and all.
Anyway, for right now I am using Mugen Super Grease (silicone). I will order the 4x7 bearings ( I use Accer Ceramics) for the diffs and I want to try grease of different weights if I can find ones that stick well in silicone. :cool:

My guess is that lots of parts will break in racing. I wanted swingshafts because of the possibility of loosing dog bones if there is trouble with the hub screws. I know this to be a problem with the Kyosho design (same as 1/8 buggy). The diff gears are going to go fast and I am looking at the metal outdrives. I want to determine what I will do about the internals of the diffs before I try to fix the outer parts.
I think having the center diff. helps the shocks from differing rpms of wheels in front and back and the motor. At least that is what I have seen with 1/8. many times things are spinning at different rpms.

halfEIGHT
06-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Cool, keep us abreast of your findings! :)

TNB
06-09-2005, 10:42 PM
I will order the 4x7 bearings ( I use Accer Ceramics) for the diffs.
What's the difference between Accer and Boca other than the woman in red, very little red, barely in red. I wonder if John Dillinger is eating his heart out?

Hawk
06-09-2005, 10:50 PM
I order on line, no shipping charge and they arrive in the mail in 3-4 days with little baggies and cards with the girl in red on one them. :D
Don't hate Boca, just have had good experience with Accer and I am mostly a man of habit. In fact I would look to Bocca for engine bearings first. I don't think Accer even has engine bearings. I heard from a vendor in the engine world that Boca was having trouble in their engine bearings. I would still go to Boca engine bearings first. In fact, I need to order some for my Vspec now. I should go ahead and get two sets.

Kinda like RCscrewz. They have the right stuff for me and I have gotten good service from them. I recommend them because of my experience.
Another one would be BitHed. Good service, and great gum. :cool: