PDA

View Full Version : In Theory

BitHed
06-09-2005, 12:48 AM
...IF by some weird freak of nature I woke up one morning and my center diff was locked / shut / closed / frozen then how would my car react? How would it drive differently? What would be the good and bad points of it? IF it was locked off course ;)

.5x8
06-09-2005, 03:51 AM
melted diff? lol thats what i think...i saw some guy post on here..he said he locked his diff and it killed it.

BitHed
06-09-2005, 04:16 AM
...umm...here we go again...lol...My diff ISNT locked right now...I am thinking i MIGHT lock it...But i didnt want to say ' I am going to lock it' because i still might not if i can get it going right, but i didnt want to say that either...So thats why i said IF...I think if i had cooked it i kinda would know...I have done in a slipper already so i know how it goes...

...so to restart :o

...What will happen if i lock my CENTER DIFF?

.5x8
06-09-2005, 04:39 AM
i never said it as that way...i said I THINK that it would probably melt the diff! thats what i THINK :D

Crunch
06-09-2005, 05:29 AM
Bit buddy......it's not possible to lock/shut/close the center diff. The drive cups move in opposit direction against eachother, so by locking them, your front and rear wheels would be spinning in the opposit direction.

I hope I am understanding what you asked and I am answering the right thing.

:D

BitHed
06-09-2005, 06:15 AM
...they only do that in a NO-POWER situation...when the MOTOR is powering their movement they move in the same direction..think of the 18T :) BTW has anyone ELSE noticed the 18T center shaft is almost a PERFECT length? lol... ;) Here comes frankensttein..lol...

Crunch
06-09-2005, 06:36 AM
You're right buddy.......I feel like an idiot now..... :(

Neeeeed a break.............someone come save me from my pile of work on my desk!

BitHed
06-09-2005, 06:51 AM
...i dont REALLY want to lock it...just looks like i do..lol..

jatetu
06-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Bit, like rc18t's, it become much more nervous, in curves the rear train will slip more than now. The spur gear should be more exposed to the power of the motor (and been melted).
In conclusion, worst lap times for the common mortal. The over skilled pilots may be will take advantage of it.

OneTimeCRX
06-09-2005, 01:17 PM
I temporarily locked my center diff, and the first thing I noticed was that the acceleration was MUCH better. No longer was all the power being wasted by spinning out the front wheels. However, on uneven ground I could hear how stressed the front and rear gearboxes were, and was scared that I would strip them. Luckily, the center diff "unlocked" itself before any damage could be done. Now with everything unlocked, the acceleration is being wasted away by the front wheels again but at least nothing is close to breaking.

After seeing this, I can't wait to get a center ball diff.

BTW, I temporarily locked the center diff by using glue on the spider gears. I made sure that it was glue that doesn't stick to plastic, but also becomes hard when it's dry (and therefore wedges itself into the gear mesh and locks everything up).

Hawk
06-09-2005, 04:44 PM
I temporarily locked my center diff, and the first thing I noticed was that the acceleration was MUCH better. No longer was all the power being wasted by spinning out the front wheels. However, on uneven ground I could hear how stressed the front and rear gearboxes were, and was scared that I would strip them. Luckily, the center diff "unlocked" itself before any damage could be done. Now with everything unlocked, the acceleration is being wasted away by the front wheels again but at least nothing is close to breaking.

After seeing this, I can't wait to get a center ball diff.

BTW, I temporarily locked the center diff by using glue on the spider gears. I made sure that it was glue that doesn't stick to plastic, but also becomes hard when it's dry (and therefore wedges itself into the gear mesh and locks everything up).

As to the unloading to the front diff, have you tried the Mugen silicone grease on your gears? This has been discussed by Ronny and others as a way similar to putting heavier diff fluid in the center diff.

OneTimeCRX
06-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the tip Hawk; no I haven't tried this grease yet but hopefully I'll have a chance to one of these days. There are so many projects yet so little time!