PDA

View Full Version : Some issues I discovered at the track

NitroSpazzz
06-08-2005, 03:09 AM
Well got one battery pack in before the tonado alarms ended my fun. While driving I noticed some things that I will have to adjust.

First thing when jumping the buggy seemed to nosedive. Now I don't know if that was me being stupid and letting off the gas or if I am WAY too noseheavy. I think its me because on the tabletop jump it was fine, all others it nosedive. I think I just need to keep on the gas.

Second I think I will go back to the B setting for the rear toe-in. I had the 3 degree one (think its C) and the back stuck WAY too good. I had to hit the brakes while turning to get any type of slide on the rear.

Last thing here. On one of my messed up jumps I hit the front left hard, the cvd type thing popped out and jammed the wheel at a hard angle. It was an easy fix but the bottom screw for the turnbuckle type thing is gone. It runs ok without it but I would like to know where I can pickup a replacement or an upgrade.

Overall though it was great fun, everyone loved it and a few guys might be picking some up.

tornacl90rx7
06-08-2005, 04:11 AM
You cab get the a replacement screw from Westlake or ACE hardware ... look for an 8mm screw and then shave it down with a dremel ....

Gregg

BitHed
06-08-2005, 04:40 AM
...LHS NOW stands for Local Hardware Store :p Stupid friggin' size for this screw :mad:

.5x8
06-08-2005, 04:41 AM
ur car can be nose heavy..u running 8 cells? try to lighten up the front if ur running 3 cell lipos...looks like some people might need that aluminum wing from atomic afterall :eek: even though its a bling bling factor :D

NitroSpazzz
06-08-2005, 05:18 AM
I am running the 8 cell pack and x-speed, otherwise it is stock. I'll see what ace has tomorrow, hopefully this one will last a lil longer.

O one more problem, now I REALLY want to build my own track :D

Crunch
06-08-2005, 06:16 AM
The nosedive is one of the main characteristics of this buggy, everyone at my track is trying to lighten the front as light as possible.

Keeping your finger on the throttle doesn't really help unlike larger scale buggies, you just have to plan your jumps and determine where you want to land. On the doubles, I land on the slop of the last hill nose first and not flat on the ground. I can gas it all the way and clear the entire double, but the landing kills the speed instantly as the chassis smacks the ground pretty good.

For the dogbones, you are having the exactly the same problem as I am. The kingpin and screws were lost and the holes on the knuckles were stripped. Longer screws would help, but the problem will eventually come back since the plastic knuckles are absorbing the energy from landings and kisses against the wall. I'm grabbing some alum. knuckles once they are available at the LHS (Local hobby store!)

The battery does nothing in terms of the nosedive, the battery is not located at the front of the car, it just lightens the car so it doesn't feel as clumsy.

I'm running a 300 motor plus 6 cells, speed matches the X-speed, but should be faster if I lower on the pinion (using 11T now). The car does feel alot lighter but I'm giving up run time for it. (Reminds me that I need to pick up some new GP cells).

Also, play around with different spring rates and oils, I'm running the stock toe-in and the end come around nicely (depends on how you like it and your style of driving.)

I'm having so much fun trying to find the best setting, this is what this hobby is all about. No fun if you simply just plug and play.

* The above is just what I observed and found on my car, it's all subjected to personal preference.......... :)

BitHed
06-08-2005, 06:42 AM
...Crunch you on the money baby :) If i wanted plug and play i would have bought an 18T...Oh...i DID buy an 18T...lol...

...The selections we have with this car are whats fun...the resaearch is endless...im having a ball with it...

...BTW i am using the C plate in the rear...nice steering circle...just wish i could get my LUBES right :mad: I have no 'drive' right now...Ronny is walking me through it though...

...another two cents but i will be staying away from alloy arms...aint no benfit as far as i can see...alloy rear hub and front hubs YES though...

Crunch
06-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Noooooooooooooo.....my 18T is/was FAR from being plug and play, I got so fed up with it. I would replace one part and another part would break, therefore I never had the chance to get a GOOD run with a GOOD setup. The shocks were also a nightmare...........

Anyways, the H8 rules!!!! I let one of my friends drove my H8 last night, I think I got him so hooked he's gonna give up his 18T....hee hee hee.

The alum. arms, there's really no point in having them as the stock ones are really beefy already. Just need knuckles and rear hubs to get rid of the slop/play.

:D

BitHed
06-08-2005, 07:27 AM
...yup the rear hubs are nice...fitted mine last night...havent had a REAL run yet but you can feel the difference already...I really think 3Racing is the brand of choice for the H8...

NitroSpazzz
06-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Crunch thanks for clearing up a LOT of stuff. Looks like I will be getting some aluminium nuckles because mine are stripped completely. Also need to get some REAL shocks, these friction shocks are a joke.

Bit I had mine with the C plate in back and it just stuck to good for our track (hard packed dusty clay) so I am going to try the A and do some sliding :)

As for my setup I have done some tinkering. My rear now has a lil more camber and my front have a decent amount of camber and toe in :D Some quick measuremnts here. Rear top adjustable thingy for camber 7.10mm both sides. front thing for camber 3.45-3.46, and the front toe in (steering thing) 14.05mm. I'll try to get a pick uploaded later maybe. It seems to handle really nice, the front sticks in corners and it just goes where I point it.

I have yet to install the 22 caster front set up. Could someone explain what this will do to my handling in basic simple terms? The manual says the more caster the slower the turn or something of that nature.

Now as for geting new alu front/rear hubs as well as shocks. I am seeing a lot of people going with 3racing and loving the quality of the parts. Where is the best place to purchase these?

NitroSpazzz
06-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Just did some testing in the hallway, man I love these little things, and it is the car not me :( Guess I have to really learn how to launch this thing so it can land on a good downhill slope. I set up a jump using a book and the top of my half8 box. Flew a few feet and in that time it was already nosediving into the ground and doing summersaults. Even with the throttle pinned the whole time, even during the flips.

half8 abuser
06-09-2005, 04:55 AM
Shouldn't putting thicker oil in the front shocks help with the nose diving. I am going to try that when I get my car runnin again.

NitroSpazzz
06-09-2005, 05:14 AM
I'll give it a try once I get some real shocks that use oil. I am still on the stock friction shocks.