PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket shock Question?

srad30
06-07-2005, 05:11 PM
I was wondering if there was any difference between the Kyosho or the
3Racing shocks, I you guys had any input or recommend which was nicer.
I just received my H8 and I'm going to ugrade shocks and get 2 good battery packs and steering servo.
I did try to search before asking and it get coming up with server error?

Thanks Guys,
Kevin (H8 newbie)

Hawk
06-07-2005, 05:24 PM
My experience is that Kyosho makes some of the best shocks in the industry. I heard about some problems people had with shocks leaking (strange thing is only fronts) but no problems with mine. I have much experience with puttin K shocks together (keep breaking mine) so Maybe it is something I am doing.
My son builds them leak free too, many different sizes as long as they are the teflon piston, hardened alu. body type. They have tuning parts like spring sets and pistons in different configurations. I don't care for threaded shock bodies, I like the clips I can pop in and out and automatically look at and tell if they are set the same on both sides. Only time I lost one was when the car hit a light pole at full throttle. I broke a lot of front parts that day. I am sure the 3Racing parts are good but for tunability and (soon I hope) availability of parts for rebuilds and replacement, I would choose the Kyosho parts. ;)

akura2
06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I ordered the 3Racing about a week and a half ago... but I couldn't wait any longer and bouight the Kyoshos... my Kyoshos are very smooth with nice damping using the two hole piston and the stock oil... mine don't leak and they work great.... I did get my 3racing shocks today...and I took one out to squeeze it between my fingers.... it's a lot firmer but equally as smooth... plus they have the adjusting collars so you don't need those annoying clips... if I would have waited.. I think I would have been satisfied with the 3racing... they come with extra pistons (two-hole) which I think would make the shocks a little softer.. plus changing the oil to a lighter oil would work as well.... they come with the little balls installed and ready to mount

If anyone needs a set of 3Racing titanium-colored shocks let me know...:D

but then I might just keep them so I can quick change my setup based on track conditions... Like street vs. track.... jumps vs. packed clay

plus they look cool... the titanium color is bitchen...

also... the bodies of the 3racing shocks are longer so the travel isn't going to be as much... but the shock itself is slightly longer so it may compensate

NitroSpazzz
06-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Make sure if you are getting a new steering servo that you have a new speed control and reciever ready. If ya replace servo, you replace everything :( Just wanted to make sure you were aware. Have fun, O I think the kyosho ones look cooler so thats my vote

MOTRAIN
06-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I have not ever used or seen the Kyosho shocks in person yet. They seem very nice just too pricey for me.

However I do have the 3Racing shocks and like everything they make they are pretty freakin nice....very smooth, fit is perfect and they are adjustable. Not to mention the price is right.

And like akura2 said the titanium color is so nice looking... bling but not in your face bling like the blue. This is just personal preference so please any of the blue lovers out there please, No Offense.

akura2
06-07-2005, 06:53 PM
I edited my post and put a pic above... the Kyoshos on the left and the 3racing on the right

srad30
06-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Well, I quess it will be which ever I can get for the price then since they are
both just as smooth and the quality.
I Have had a mamba performance kit ready to install before I Bought H8
I was going to use the kyosho servo for now but it has 4 wires on the lead
and it does not fit in my Jr R310 RX?
Anyone know if servo works with just 3 of the 4 wires?
Also does the mamba controller not work with Am radio 75h
I had to steal the Synthesized RX from truck.
Thank U for Shock info.
K.

srad30
06-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Also anybody else having trouble with search on this site?

Hawk
06-07-2005, 07:21 PM
The servo definately will not work with a 3 wire servo receiver.
The receiver you mention, to the best of my knowledge is a 75mHz FM radio set. You should have no problem using the servo wire from the Mamba 25 ESC should work fine. Just be conscious of the which pin is the ground. In fact I have a compX mamba and it has the same wire color scheme as the JR radio stuff and it fits fine in my RS310. Had a little trouble with the Futaba servo though.
So, you really want to replace the steering servo if you are going to put any speed into your H8. Pick up a Hitec micro, mini. They are relatively inexpensive and I believe the HS81mg is the weapon of choice on this board.
:cool:

acsubie
06-07-2005, 07:21 PM
akura, im with you, i have both sets, and both seem great, so im keeping both sets for quick setting changes like you mentioned, and now that i have the 3racing spring kits the tuning possibilties are endless

.5x8
06-07-2005, 10:28 PM
ive heard boths ets are great..i ordered a set from here..and now awaiting for them to come. but since its cheaper..and probably equally good.....you cant blame 25 bucks compared to 60 :D

BLACKHAWK444
06-07-2005, 11:35 PM
For a servo get a HS-85. Best servo you can get. HS-81 has centering problems.

BitHed
06-07-2005, 11:38 PM
...blackhawk THATS good news ;) I was jealous of the 81 crew because i have an 85...Grass is always greener...

...5x8...When you are on a tight budget that is very true...25 vs. 60 is a no-brainer, but i also feel that in MANY cases there is a very good reason for the difference...be it quality or whaatever...

TNB
06-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Then sometimes you feel like a nut and install a HiTec HS-5125MG programmable metal-geared airplane servo like I did. Dang tough.

Hawk
06-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Then sometimes you feel like a nut and install a HiTec HS-5125MG programmable metal-geared airplane servo like I did. Dang tough.

I guess your H8 really 'Flies' then. :cool:

akura2
06-08-2005, 12:05 AM
i have an "85" in mine and it works great.. I was going to use my 81 but I took the "ears" off for another project and couldn't use it.. but now that I have the 85MG in it I'm glad I went that route

BitHed
06-08-2005, 01:05 AM
...i have been thinking about getting rid off that big heavy mo8unt and just going with some little 'braces / towers' like a normal 1:10...Will keep you posted...

TNB
06-08-2005, 02:36 AM
I guess your H8 really 'Flies' then. :cool:
It sure does, especially when I was running the CM2080 and an 11.1v 3-Cell Lipo.

Crunch
06-08-2005, 03:55 AM
I'm using a Futaba 9602 servo

Futaba S9602:
Speed: 0.11sec/60 deg @ 4.8V or .09 sec/60 deg @ 6V
Torque: 2.2 kg/cm @ 4.8V or 2.7 kg/cm @ 6V
Size: 35mm x 15mm x 30mm
Weight: 1.1 oz (31g)

HS-81MG:
Length: 29.8mm x 12mm x 29.6mm
Transit: 0.11sec/60 deg (4.8V) 0.09sec/60 deg (6.0V)
Torque @ 4.8V: 2.6kg/cm, @ 6.0V: 3kg/cm
Weight: 19g (0.67oz.)

Strange how the 81mg beats the 9602 in every aspects, but the 9602 feels alot smoother. :confused:

As for the shocks, I'm using the Kyosho dampers (55wt F/R) plus Atomic springs (med. F/R). It's a NIGHT and DAY difference compared to the stock springs. Going to change the fronts to a lighter oil just to see how it changes the performance.

So far, I'm happy about the handling, just need to work on the speed department.

mOOsE
06-08-2005, 06:16 AM
its because the 81 doesn't center. I would say it doesn't center very well but it really doesn't center at all.

Ronny
06-08-2005, 05:44 PM
For a servo get a HS-85. Best servo you can get. HS-81 has centering problems.

Hey dude:-)

I use the 81MG, and haven't had any probs with centering at all :confused:
Anyway, as I normally would use a Futaba 3PK & HRS receiver compared to the normal 40.FM I use now - I'm on to changing to the HRS & a Futaba 9650 digital servo for unreal precision & accuracy ;) 4.5kg/0.11.sec :D

akura2
06-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Me neither.. none of my 81s have had centering issues... especially the MGs

in fact the only reason I have an 85 in my car now is that my 81 didn't have ears and I didn't feel like making the trek to the LHS...

not knocking the 85... it IS better.. but I could have been happy with the 81MG

mOOsE
06-08-2005, 08:33 PM
I use to have tons of returns on 81+81mg's because they are always changing the centered position. That and sometimes they seemed to lose what little torque they had.