PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Inferno: What do I need to know?

Mazda787b
06-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Well, my Mini-T has finally gone by the wayside. Even with the Aon motor, top-of-the-line electronics and just about every hopup you need to be competitive, the Mini-T isn't the racer it once was. I have procrastinated a bit so the bugs in the H8 can be worked out, and I am ready to move up.

Before I order, are there any things I need to know about this buggy? Potential problems, things that need replaced/fixed before driving, etc? I already know I will need bearings, Oil Shocks, and stronger shocks towers. What servo would you recommend that would compliment my Radio gear? I am running a JR XS3 Pro and RS310 Rx, with a Mamba M-25 ESC and Aon 4900kv Trust Series Brushless Motor.

Thanks,

Mazda

akura2
06-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Well for that setup.. you've got all the necessities that i can think of.... I only replace stuff as I break it... except for the shocks and bearings...

as far as the servo.. I think the Hitec 85MG is the best bang for the buck... but there are plenty out there...depending on your wallet

The stock shock towers are very flexy... so i would replace those on that alone... but I haven't replaced mine yet as they haven't broken.. (sometimes flex is good)

as far as batteries.... if you are going to use the AON and the Mamba controller... don't use anything less than GP1100 cells.. the others can't put out the amps to make that system work properly... (not just from experience..I also conferred with Shawn from Castle Creations)

grease the diffs.... lock down the slipper... install the droop screws (even if you don't need them... it's good to have them there in case you do need to adjust)

and you might need aluminum knuckles... the bottom kingpin piece on mine broke from hitting a rubber cone...

tierods can come later as the stock ones are pretty beefy... but it'll be easier to adjust aftermarket rods... (they have that nut in the middle.. the stock ones don't)

anyone else with suggestions can chime in now....

good luck with it.. it's a great vehicle

Mazda787b
06-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks! I have been running Kans in my Mini-T, they have been working nicely. I will be getting GPs next for whatever I have, when I orderev GPs were on backorder everywhere.

akura2
06-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks! I have been running Kans in my Mini-T, they have been working nicely. I will be getting GPs next for whatever I have, when I orderev GPs were on backorder everywhere.

Have you been using the KANs with a Mamba motor or the AON 4900?....

with the Mamba they work fine... the AON draws more current...

Mazda787b
06-06-2005, 08:10 PM
No, the Aon. I've had mine since Mid-April as a part of their beta testing. I have had nothing but success, no problems to report.

akura2
06-06-2005, 08:18 PM
No, the Aon. I've had mine since Mid-April as a part of their beta testing. I have had nothing but success, no problems to report.

cool

i was wondering because when I use KANs with MY AON... sometimes it chugs...then takes off... sometimes it doesn't run at all.... sometimes I have to lift up the car... give it throttle...then drop it back down to get it to go... but when I put my GP1100s on it... the motor works flawlessly

when I talked to Shawn... he said some of the AONs draw more current than others of the same make.. (I have the 4900 just like you).. I may have gotten one of the finicky ones that need "good" batteries to run

Mazda787b
06-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Possibly, the only time I ever have a problem (it has only happened twice) is when I am running at top speed, then suddenly stop. If I grab full throttle again, it will pause before it takes off. The Kans work alot better than my Thunderpowwer 900 li-po pack. You could push the truck easier than that battery could.

.5x8
06-06-2005, 11:33 PM
looks like u have everything down mazda! good job doing your hw(homework for you slow people....lol just playing)! just grease up ur gears and crank that slipper all the way and ur off!

:D

oo btw i recommend www.unitedrc.com for batteries..get their gp1100 x42 8 cell

akura2
06-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Possibly, the only time I ever have a problem (it has only happened twice) is when I am running at top speed, then suddenly stop. If I grab full throttle again, it will pause before it takes off. The Kans work alot better than my Thunderpowwer 900 li-po pack. You could push the truck easier than that battery could.

see?... even THAT little problem is an amperage problem... new batts could fix that... I'll let you know when I get my loose GP1100s cells in and make a couple of packs... (It's cheaper to roll my own)

Mazda787b
06-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Yeah, it is a problem, but a minor one. The only pinion my LHS had was a 12T. When I was running a 14 I wasn't having that problem.

Does anyone have a roller they are willing to sell?