PDA

View Full Version : Mamba Maxx in the H8

RURC
03-16-2005, 04:37 AM
I am waiting for my Mamba Maxx to arrive and my H8 also. They should arrive within 2 weeks of each other. I am not going to run a regular Mamba in this thing. I am going for the Maxx. As this happens I will post photos and impressions here.

BitHed
03-16-2005, 05:48 AM
...and we will stand back 200 feet with protective goggles and waders on :) Cant wait to see the fire works..actually mate you might need high speed film to catch the action :eek:

mpetrich
03-16-2005, 09:17 AM
I am waiting for my Mamba Maxx to arrive and my H8 also. They should arrive within 2 weeks of each other. I am not going to run a regular Mamba in this thing. I am going for the Maxx. As this happens I will post photos and impressions here.

Where can we order the Mamba Maxx?! I have been waiting for this for awhile.
Thanks,
Matt

RURC
03-16-2005, 03:13 PM
You cant. I have a standing order with friends. I will have mine just before the stores get theirs I have been told. When you buy as mich CC stuff as I do for my own use (I am not a dealer) people work with you. Between my cars and the plaines I have about 35 CC products. And I am always getting rid of something and building a new one. It is a never ending circle.

HAY BIT what about the avaitar thing? Is it still down. Do you want me to mail it to you? Let me know man I feel naked with out it.

mpetrich
03-16-2005, 07:01 PM
OK, so I can't order one but could you at least let me know when you think they will be "publically" available?
Thanks,
Matt

RURC
03-16-2005, 07:35 PM
I have been told that by summer it will arrive

Rcdriver
03-16-2005, 07:43 PM
I hope that Castle doesnt have to set back the release date like they did with the Mamba systems. I am also eager to see how the Maxx performs.

ruf4play
03-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Anywhere to find info on the Mamba Maxx?

Also who has experience with these motors? With 8 cells how fast are then compared to a 540-size motor? Stock? 19T 10T?

RURC
03-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Anywhere to find info on the Mamba Maxx?

Also who has experience with these motors? With 8 cells how fast are then compared to a 540-size motor? Stock? 19T 10T?

There is no posted information on the Maxx at this time. Also this is a speed control not a motor. I can say that the original spec of it being an 80 amp nominal speed control is no longer the case. I am under the understanding that it will be a lot higher than that. It will be a sensorless controller but will controll sensored motors like the Novak and the new Reedy brushless. You will just not hook up the sensor wire.

I have a lot of experance with Castle Creations products. In the brushless arena they are the best. They are not just a manufacturer they are also very much into the RC hobby. They are big in airplanes and do a lot in marine also. The Mamba was their first foray into the car side. It is great.

I have Mambas in 4 1/18 scale cars. Both minit and rc18t. I also have one in my 1/12 carpet racer. The carpet racer dose over 45 mph and my monster mini t will do over 60. You should see the faces at the track when I blow past the 1/8 scale buggies and the 1/10 scale trucks and buggies with a Mini T. Very hard to control at those speeds. But the look on those faces is priceless.

JetskiMark
03-17-2005, 05:09 AM
RURC,

So which motor is looking the best in the simulations? Did you narrow it down to 10 yet? I am looking forward to your data. I will probably try my Mamba 6800 in it initially. I also have a Mega 16/15/3 in one of my planes. I wonder if the Mamba 25 could handle it? I would need a chassis dyno to see what the amp draw under load is. Much easier to figure it out on a plane with just a prop and a Whatt-Meter.

Regards,
Mark

MonoTuning
03-17-2005, 05:37 AM
RURC,

So are they not coming out with a bigger motor along with the Mamba Maxx system? H8 is around 800grams on the spec, it is around 2-300 grams heavier than other 1/18th scale model, so i would think it will be better with a bigger motor with more torque.

Thanks

MonoTuning

BitHed
03-17-2005, 05:46 AM
...in line with this thread, and as a supplier, is it going to be worth arranging a WIDER rear wheel for the halfEIGHT? With the possbile speeds we are talking about it sounds like we might have to stop the car from bucking and keep the pedals to the metal...

...I personally will stick with brushed because i would rather run AROUND the house instead of INTO it :) But it is exciting nonetheless to be watching this evolution...i dont fully understand it but its exciting...

...funnily enough, and this comes from KYOSHO, they originally designed the MinFerno to give all the satisfaction of a 1:8 buggy in a much SMALLER space...Boy are they gonna be surprised when they see what WE have done to it...lol...

MonoTuning
03-17-2005, 06:15 AM
Hello BitHed:

We think it will be beneficial to have wider off road tires on this car. 25mm wide may not be enough.

On the other hand, we will be making hex adaptors in order for use our foam tires to be mounted on this car. We will sell them as a package at a very reasonable price.

Can wait to smoke those nitro TCs... :D

Thanks

MonoTuning

BitHed
03-17-2005, 06:33 AM
...the axle is 3mm...there are hex's on it stock though im not 100% of the size...many of us here are expecting them to be 'regular' 1:10 size..the rims / tires are essentially 1:10 size stock...but the hex MAY be smaller...a couple of local japanese makers have plans for adaptors should the size be NON-regular...

...i feel that the REAR feet wont be wide enough too...The search for perfection begins :D

ruf4play
03-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Why won't the rear be wide enough? It's 4WD! :D

RURC
03-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Right now I am waiting for confermation from a friend in California. We are having some issues on exact ratio. It seems the 10.8:1 may not be correct. I was running all the knowns and it would not match up in the comp model. So I sent the information to a friend and asked him to build the model (think I was doing something wrong). He could not get it to work either (I felt better). Now he had the schmatics and is doing some magic to it. However he still has a real job to do in the mean time. So I will hear from him when I hear from him.

ruf4play
03-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Random question for another crazy application.

Would a 8-cell Mamba Maxx setup be enough to power a car weighing ~1400g(50oz) total? Would it be similar to a stock 540 race motor on 6 cells? I'm pretty new to this whole brushless thing. I ran this setup by one of my friends who said that it wouldn't have enough torque.

Mazda787b
03-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Unless I am reading this incorrectly, the Maxx will be able to run 4-cell li-po packs? What would we do as a brushless motor option on the 777? It runs a 380, which is larger than the normal 280 or 300/370. Will there be some sort of adapter plate to run the normal mambas, or will CC have a larger motor for this new application?

RURC
03-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Here is what I know. The Maxx will have a matched motor available. CC has not found anyone that builds what they want. They are bringing it in house and makeing it themselves. It will handle 4 cell lipos. The Maxx is ready to go. Right now the issue is getting the motor in to full production mode. The truck version will be ready first then the 1/10 car/buggy one will come. All this should be done for a mid-spring realease.

Special conditions to watch for if you use the Mamba on the H8. Temperature seems to be an issue with the motor first and the controller second. Max running temp of the motor cannot exceed 200 degrees F. Max running temp on the controller should not exceed 225 degrees F. On the speed control the heat shrink will melt at 200 degrees so that is a indicator that you need to watch your temp on the controller. If you hade a heat problem with the controller you will need to heat sink the fets on the top of the circuit board. Now you will need to goto a electronics supply store, bring the controller with you, and get a proper sized heat sink. You will also need to get some heat conductive epoxy. Something with a high aluminum content works best. Glue the heat sink to the fets. Now on the motor I have found a heatsink that will go on the motor. The problem I have lost the web page. I will look extensively tonight and get the up ASAP. I really feel that the Mamba WILL need at least the heat sinks on the motor for the H8. I dont think it will be nessary on the controller. Hope this helps and wet your appitite for this thing to hurry up and get here.

ruf4play
03-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Bah. All this information and not a scrap I can use. You brushless guys are useless... :D

RURC
03-18-2005, 10:19 PM
We aim to piss off :D

BitHed
03-19-2005, 01:04 AM
...I can get heat sinks in all shapes and sizes but my hands are tied until i get the goods...i have nice chopped one on my 18T...it aint pretty but its PHAT :D

RURC
03-19-2005, 02:29 AM
I think that I need to clear 2 things up.

First the Mamba and the Mamba Maxx are different. Some have expressed confusion since I mention them both in the same post just in different paragraphs.

Second, the Mamba (orig 1/18 scale set up(green)) is the only one with the heat possable issues. These heat issues might (we dont know yet) occur when it is used in the H8. I was working with CC today and the temp thing came up. I figured better to let you know of the possability and plan for it than for it to burn something up. With the heatsinks on the motor there should be no other problem. If you need the heat sinks on the controller you have already smoked the motor. The controller will handle 30 amps continous with out a problem. Under hard acceleration the motor and controller will draw upwards to 100 amps for a few miliseconds. This in a Mini T. It will be heaver in the H8. We figure 125 to 135. Not a problem for the controller. This is why it is being advised that in the H8 you put in the heat sink. I am still looking for the link for the web site. I know I have it. I just have to find a reciept from the one I bought from them. I will find it.

The Maxx (the new red one) will come with heat sinks on it.

Also CC has aquired BERG. These guys are the cats ass in the plane side of things. They are the only guys that make recievers smaller than Multiplex. These things are the size of quaters and 3 times as thick. They are sick small. They are also the only other reciever I use. Now CC is going to build these things for surface radios. Yes your favorate fm channels and frequences. You have not seen small till you see this. These make a Novak SPY look like a mountain. They are auto shift sensing so they will work with all systems out (= or -). They are also going to be 4 channel.

I am telling you that you have not seen anything yet. Just wait till mid summer. The fan is spinning on high.

chrille
03-19-2005, 10:19 AM
So you do mean that the mamba maxx is in the same size as the original mamba, but with a heatsink on it? How is it then gonna fit a 1:10 car? Or isnt it? Maybe i have got it all wrong!? :confused: The only thing i`ll hope for the moment is that there will come a mamab 380!! :)

RURC
03-19-2005, 06:35 PM
So you do mean that the mamba maxx is in the same size as the original mamba, but with a heatsink on it? How is it then gonna fit a 1:10 car? Or isnt it? Maybe i have got it all wrong!? :confused: The only thing i`ll hope for the moment is that there will come a mamab 380!! :)

NO Just like my post says. "The Mamba and the Mamba Maxx are different"

The heat sink is just one of them. They are similar in that thay will look a little alike. But they have completely different programming and parts. The Maxx (red) will have heat sinks from CC. Seeing that a 2/20 car is a lot larger than a 1/18 or a 1/16 fitting it will not be a issue. The Mamba (green) is already the smallest speed controller around and the Maxx will also be very small. Larger than the Mamba (green) but still smaller than anything else out. At this time there are no planes to do a 300 (380) can. But with CC bringing the manufacturing in house, it is not out of the question. The Mamba (green) has an adapter plate that will allow mounting to a 300 can mounting. It should bolt directly in to the H8. Right now the concern is the pinions. Shaft size and size. The Maxx (red) will handle current spikes above 300 amps. The Mamba (green) will take about 150 amps.

chrille
03-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Now i think that i`ll understand! So the mamba maxx is just a speed controler, right? And there is a adaptorplate so you can mount a mamba in the H8, right!? :) If it`s so then it`s great!

Sorry for us stupid Swedens! ;)

RURC
03-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Now i think that i`ll understand! So the mamba maxx is just a speed controler, right? And there is a adaptorplate so you can mount a mamba in the H8, right!? :) If it`s so then it`s great!

Sorry for us stupid Swedens! ;)

Almost there...
The Mamba generally refeers to the set up that CC makes. It is a brushless speed controller and a matched motor. This was designed from the beginning for the mini (1/18) market. This is the green one you see me refeer to.

The Maxx is called the Mamba Maxx by CC. This a new set up. Designed from the ground up as a 1/10 scale set up. It will refeer to the speed control and a matched motor. This is the red one you also see me refeer to.

I am useing the terms Mamba and Maxx to refeer to the seperate set ups. Since the green Mamba was the original I just use Mamba for that one. Conversely I use Maxx when I am talking about the new set up. It is (the Maxx is going to be red in colour.

With both the Mamba and the Mamba Maxx you can buy the parts seperately. Just want the Mamba speed control to work with your Hacker motor, no problem. Just order the speed control. If you want just the Mamba Maxx motor just order that.

Now the adapter plate. When you buy a Mamba set up the motor comes with a adapter plate on it the converts the original bolt pattern to both 200 can and 300 can size. Now I have never used the 300 can size holes, so I assume that they work. The 200 holes are perfect. I believe that that adapter plate is turned out by Troy and the guys at Bishop Power Products for CC. :D

Sweeds are not stupid. I wont mention you said that to my Sweedish wife.

chrille
03-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Aaah! Thanks RURC! :D No i understand! So the mamba is a motor and the mamba maxx is a speedcontrol! ;) (Joking) But still, what size will the mamba maxx motor be?

And sorry for that about Swedens... did not mean to hurt your vife! :)

RURC
03-21-2005, 05:50 AM
Aaah! Thanks RURC! :D No i understand! So the mamba is a motor and the mamba maxx is a speedcontrol! ;) (Joking) But still, what size will the mamba maxx motor be?

And sorry for that about Swedens... did not mean to hurt your vife! :)

I am sad to say I have not been able to pry that out of them yet. I will be talking to them on Monday and will try again. I know it will fit into the standard 1/10 hole and mount, 500 size if memory serves.

On the Swedens thing....... my wife is almost 2 meters tall you did not hurt her feelings. I did not tell her. But even if I had she is a big tuff woman it would bounce right off her.

BitHed
03-21-2005, 06:19 AM
..wow i bet she really got a kick ouuta that chef on the muppets then :p

ruf4play
03-21-2005, 01:50 PM
I <heart> blondes...

Need more info on Mamba Maxx. How many cells is it designed for? What kind of output will it have compared to brushed stock motors?

BLACKHAWK444
03-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Um isnt the mamba maxx a 1/10 scale setup, a 540 sized motor? I have seen posts by Shawn, and it definitly sounded like a e-maxx setup also. I did not hear him say anything about another micro motor.....

ruf4play
03-22-2005, 04:14 PM
What size shaft is the Mamba? As in what type of pinions does it take?

RURC
03-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Um isnt the mamba maxx a 1/10 scale setup, a 540 sized motor? I have seen posts by Shawn, and it definitly sounded like a e-maxx setup also. I did not hear him say anything about another micro motor.....

The first one will be the truck one. And it is a 540 motor. But the controller will work with any brushless set up, including sensored systems. According to what Shawn said to me. I have several brushless motors laying around and am just waiting for the controller to get started. I will get the CC motor at a later date. I am waiting for Shawn to call me back.

BLACKHAWK444
03-22-2005, 09:28 PM
So we would just use the esc, and it would be more suited for the half 8, because its made for larger cars/trucks. I think a feigo motor might be a good combo to use with the esc.

BitHed
03-22-2005, 10:45 PM
...not neccessarily brushless but I am heading towards a big-hearted unit like that too...9.6 is a BIG ask and I think we will need the heavy duty stuff to keep it ticking over...But as you all know i dont understand diddly squat just yet, little self-protection there ;)

RURC
03-26-2005, 12:55 AM
Shawn is not allowed to reveal anything else on the Maxx system right now. He is also home very sick right now. I will have specs as soon as I can pry them out of him.

JetskiMark
04-01-2005, 01:27 AM
I hope that the Maxx ESC is in a plastic case with solder posts like the Tekin Scorpion. The Scorpion looks interesting, too bad it is only rated at 25 amps like the Mamba.

Regards,
Mark

RURC
04-01-2005, 01:57 AM
I hope that the Maxx ESC is in a plastic case with solder posts like the Tekin Scorpion. The Scorpion looks interesting, too bad it is only rated at 25 amps like the Mamba.

Regards,
Mark

As I understand it, the Maxx will be like the Mamba except it will have heatsinks on the controller fets. It will not have solder posts. I am very proficient at soldering and I would not want to solder to posts on that surface mount board with those VLSI's on it. The gold connectors are better than soldering anyhow. If you look into it you will find that soldering is not the best way to create proper connections. A proper crimp will flow more current with less resistance and voltage drop than any solder job. It will also handle a lot higher tempertures than a solder joint.

ruknd
04-01-2005, 01:59 AM
i still prefer soldering...if it is dome right it will not fail in a race like those silly gold clips

RURC
04-09-2005, 07:10 AM
i still prefer soldering...if it is dome right it will not fail in a race like those silly gold clips

That is not true. Even if done perfectly the performance is less. It is proven. Any electrical engineer will relent to the fact that solder is not the best way. I could give you pages of scientific reasons (skin effect, electron flow, hole theory, etc.) as to why solder auctually detracts from the performance but I wont waste my time. I have never had a connector fail me but I have seen solder fail. Now with the current and the temps that can now be gennerated by the new batteries and the motors and controllers far exceed what was considered high just a few years ago, some people are starting to see the hazzards of solder.

BTW those silly gold clips will flow 2.4 times the current with less than .5% loss of voltage. All this and 72% lesss heat build up. Physics just dosen't lie.

m18racer2003
05-04-2005, 04:58 PM
owned.....

Smoothound
05-04-2005, 06:00 PM

Rubbish :rolleyes:

after all this there is always the UK option of mTroniks as well :D

RURC
05-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Rubbish :rolleyes:

after all this there is always the UK option of mTroniks as well :D

Well put. :rolleyes: