PDA

View Full Version : 3 Racing CVD Review

mOOsE
06-05-2005, 01:59 AM
I just got these in the mail today. Installation was a snap and the quality was very good. I ordered the blue ones...because they are the coolest haha BIT.
They rotate very smoothly and they seemed to quiet the half8 down a bit too.
definately worth the 20 bucks.

Hawk
06-05-2005, 02:13 AM
I received front and rear SWING Shafts from 3 Racing this week. I waited till last night to put them in. I wanted nearly all the parts to be here to pull the car apart and put all the pieces in. The swing shafts were titanium in color, more like a brownish/black color, not like any titanium I have ever seen but the picture supplied by the seller was accurate. They fit well with the exception of the innner ends. The pins are slightly shorter than the stock dog bones and slip in and out of the diff cup easily. I guess this is o.k. but I will watch them closely. Otherwise fit and finish is good. I like the drive components to be captured in case they slip out at one end I don't have to look all over for them.

I also tested out a recomendation BitHed made concerning the dog bones. He said (and if I am wrong, please let me know) that the rear dog bones could be used to replace the two center drive bones. I believe this to be correct. I don't think this is as good an idea as it seems. I noticed the plastic dog bones in the center are very light compared to the metal ones on the rear drive. This is important as the weight of drive line pieces affect the acceleration rate for take off and stopping. The lighter weight helps the car respond more quickly to power applied because of the rotational mass and inertia. I decided to keep the lighter dog bones in the center.

This might just be my own brand of craziness but Kyosho has put lots of time and money into lightening rotating pieces in their drive train in their MP777 and it shows.

Just my opinion. If I break a center shaft, I know where I can get one to replace it quickly, thanks for that information BitHed. :cool:

vindictor67
06-05-2005, 02:25 AM
I agree that Bit has given us some good info on the dog bones. I don't belive that the weight of the steel bonz compared to the plastic could impact performance enough to actually be measured. I personally will go with the bullet proof drivetrain and add a little weight.

Now for a personal gripe. Since when did titanium become a color? It isn't grey, It isn't silver now it's titanium. That's just a Bull Sh*t way for sellers to cheat the average conusmer who wants lighter, stronger Titanium parts and gets tricked into buying Titanium Colored Alum. Parts. :mad: Just my 2 cents worth.

akura2
06-05-2005, 02:30 AM
I agree that Bit has given us some good info on the dog bones. I don't belive that the weight of the steel bonz compared to the plastic could impact performance enough to actually be measured. I personally will go with the bullet proof drivetrain and add a little weight.

Now for a personal gripe. Since when did titanium become a color? It isn't grey, It isn't silver now it's titanium. That's just a Bull Sh*t way for sellers to cheat the average conusmer who wants lighter, stronger Titanium parts and gets tricked into buying Titanium Colored Alum. Parts. :mad: Just my 2 cents worth.

Titanium has been a color for a long time... especially in the import tuner market when you need to describe that brownish grey color.... and the manufacturers seem to make it pretty clear that these are titanium COLORED parts... the parts that are actually titanium are usually pretty plainly marked..

My $.02

vindictor67
06-05-2005, 02:43 AM
I still believe that it's a "Used Car Salesman's" trick to make unwary buyers think they are getting Titanium Parts. Highlight TITANIUM in the description and add alum. in there somewhere. Marketing 101........

My $0.03 worth....

akura2
06-05-2005, 10:38 AM
LOL.... ok... ;)

WhoMe
06-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Annnnnyway. So how do the swing shafts make the car run?

mOOsE
06-06-2005, 06:17 AM
they seem smooth and quiet. No more metal to metal clicking from the old dogbones! ;)

WhoMe
06-06-2005, 10:55 AM
I always wondered what made that clickin noise. Excellent. Thanks for the review.

mOOsE
06-06-2005, 03:37 PM
the diffs make it too but the dogbone rubbing against the metal stub axle makes a lot of noise also.

halfEIGHT
06-08-2005, 05:59 PM
We've been referring to them as Gun Metal:

http://halfeight.com/shop/product.php?productid=16211

is that better? :)