PDA

View Full Version : Knuckle Fix Episode 7

BitHed
05-30-2005, 05:07 AM
...After many tries this is the mod I am running now with HUGE success...Names and dates have been changed to protect the innocent...

...pull apart your knuckle set ups...This will give you a pile of (one side) a knuckle, a front hub, a front lower hinge pin and two e clips, 2 funky washers, and probably only one screw because you have lost the other one :o

...leave your upper and lower arms ON the machine...remove the turnbuckle...

*Side Note: Now is a good time to replace your pillow balls; I am using TAMIYA alloy balls impregnated with flourine but thats another thread...

...Get your conical washers and raid your screw box for some 3mm SELF-TAPPING (the chunky-thread ones; do NOT use the ones with small shallow threads) screws of CLOSE to right length...

...Put the screw into EACH washer and dry fit it to your knuckle...KEEP the axle IN the knuckle for best results...Make sure the axle spins freely with each tightening of the screw...This is REALLY easy to do if you have de-greased your bearings becuse they free-roll a little bit with a good spin...

...Once you have a washer and a screw in the top AND bottom and the axle spins freely undo the screws and set them aside...

...Superglue (CA) your washers INTO the front hub, top AND bottom...the washers should be flush to the inside but it doesnt matter too much if they arent...

...Once dry and secure fit your knuckle INTO the hub...Make sure it is the matching knuckle and hub :o If there is too much play / slop for your liking fit in a washer of some sort you you want to, but basically once its in there its in there forever...

...TAMIYA Thread Lock one of your screws, top or bottom it doesnt matter, and screw it in, AGAIN making sure your axle is free while you do this...Dont worry if a LITTLE gets on the washer, THATS why we are using TAMIYA...

*Side Note...TAMIYA Thread Lock is blue and VERY sticky...the stuff goes everywhere if you arent careful...It drys FLEXIBLE; which is a good thing...Its cheap and lasts forever and ever Amen...

...Thread your thread locked screw into your knuckle through the washer...Any lock on the washer can either be wiped away...It WONT sieze up because we are going to move the knuckle back and forth while it slightly hardens...It wont have a chance to sieze the knuckle...

...So what you end up with IS...CA'ed washers IN the hub, thread locked (removeable) screws IN the knuckle, a free moving steering unit that will take the hits and keep on working without impeding anything and slowing you down :) Enjoy...

maxxenitout
05-30-2005, 06:58 AM
I am using TAMIYA alloy balls impregnated with flourine Call me immature but that just sounds funny!! :)
Sorry...lol

BitHed
05-30-2005, 07:00 AM
...i do my best to educate and amuse :D Yeah they are more 'coated' than 'impregnated'...

vindictor67
05-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Bit, can u get a pic or two? This is a fairly complicated fix and a couple of pics would really help. :)

BitHed
05-30-2005, 04:26 PM
...will do my best....but the fix itself is easy...glue your washers in...thread lock your screws in...thats it...all the rest is filling you in stuff to look out for....BTW if you think THIS mod is supersexy then you should look forward to the 'Perfect Rebuild' and the 'Silky Slipper' contained therein!!!! LOL...God Im good ;)