PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problem solved!!

vindictor67
05-25-2005, 05:39 AM
I finally found the cause of my (lack of) steering problems. The knuckles are gritty after a run. I still would like to improve this, but the real cause was in the bell cranks.

I installed my new 3Racing SSG towers and Alm. motor mount. Fired her up so to speak, and couldn't turn around in the middle of my living room, had no steering throw!!!! :mad: I pulled the arm off of the servo and could barley move it with my hand. After pulling off several ball cups I found the culpret. The pivot post opposite the steering saver post was almost completely seized. I could barley turn it with my hand! I had to use pliers to pull it off. Sand had etched grooves into the plastic and locked it up. I crokus clothed everything as smooth as I could and used thin traxxas grease to lube it up.

The steering is now better than I have ever seen it. I believe that this problem probably started from day one and got progressively worse. Trust me if your HS-85 MG can't turn this car, check your bell cranks.

Anyone with any contacts, now I need Alum. Bearinged Bell Cranks.

Hope It Helps! :D

tmizzle
05-25-2005, 02:44 PM
i experienced this same problem. We need bearings in the bell cranks. I took mine apart, cleaned it and lube it too but i think the same thing will happen again after a couple runs in the dirt.

vindictor67
05-25-2005, 02:58 PM
i experienced this same problem. We need bearings in the bell cranks. I took mine apart, cleaned it and lube it too but i think the same thing will happen again after a couple runs in the dirt.

For right now I'm hoping the grease will keep out most of the dirt. This will have to be a routine maintenance area.

WE NEED BEARING BELL CRANKS!!!! :D

BitHed
05-25-2005, 03:45 PM
...we have started loading bearings into the ackerman :D Is that same as the bell crank ? :o

vindictor67
05-25-2005, 05:06 PM
...we have started loading bearings into the ackerman :D Is that same as the bell crank ? :o

I'm not sure, the parts list calls it the steering wiper shaft and steering crank set. :confused:

BLACKHAWK444
06-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just got my H8 and the steering radius is HORRIBLE! Does installing a new servo like the HS-85 help? Thanks.

CableMan
06-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Try adjusting the steering dual rate adjuster on the transmitter. It is the dial that is on the handle. This will give you smaller/larger turn radius.