PDA

View Full Version : WingNuts

BitHed
05-23-2005, 01:08 AM
...When you go off your jump ramp remember to shut the next door neighrbour's gate...Your H8 at the right speed and trajectory will collide with said gate and sheer off your wing mount like a pierced nipple in a bar fight...Funny thing was the 'nipple' landed at my feet and stared up at me like it had just been picked on by the school bully...

...If you do this too follow these simple guidelines for a quick and easy transplant...compres wing onto mount as MUCH as possible, check you dont have alien plastic cokking it up on the wing mount in places you cant see...It needs to as flat ON as possible...

...REMOVE wing and funky washers...small hole to start with, MUST be centered, dont rush, steady hand according to old Clint Eastwood Spaghetti westerns it helps to pour whiskey on the wound...Drill a tiny little hole to get you started...replace wing, add washer, use a SELF-TAPPING screw...Make sure its small enough...You WILL have enough plastic and it SHOULDNT pop through the other side...Drive away to the cheers of the crowd...Drive until you TOTALLY thrash and then contact me for a new wing mount ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/WINGSCREWS.jpg

OneTimeCRX
05-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Wing nipples and titty screws... Man what would Freud say about you Bit?? :D

BitHed
05-23-2005, 11:07 AM
...Onetime i never thought of that ;) But now that you mention I might JUST be losing it...living in Japan half your life does that to ya :D But its not a bad looking mod eh :cool:

OneTimeCRX
05-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Yeah I admit it's much nicer looking than the stock pins. Things that stick out and cause turbulence should never be allowed near a wing IMO. :)

BitHed
05-23-2005, 12:33 PM
...i drove around with it broken for a while and then did this this morning before work..I got up at 4 :eek: So I havent actually hit any decent speed with it yet...It will be interesting to see how it holds up in another crash though I am hoping not with anything as HARD as the metal gate or brick wall (cringe)...

...OneTime i agree with alot that you say and i know you know your cheezels but at this scale and the limited speeds we are getting, is what you are saying really THAT relevant? Weight comments aside because i think the H8 is WAY too heavy stock; but aerodynamics etc...Is it really going to be THAT different?

OneTimeCRX
05-23-2005, 11:14 PM
I know it's hard to believe when everything is so small, but yes aerodynamics is still giving considerable forces at these speeds. For example, in a 1/10th scale touring car (Tamiya TG-10 Skyline which weighs 1900 grams), the rear wing adds 100 grams worth of downforce at 36 km/h. At 72 km/h, the downforce becomes 470 grams in the rear. (Based on scientific research I conducted with my car in a wind tunnel.) Notice that by doubling the speed, the downforce is quadrupled.

Also, aerodynamics is an extremely tricky thing to understand. Anything that you change in the rear will also affect the flow at the front. For example, removing the rear wing in the touring car reduced the front lift forces by 20 grams at 36 km/h and 100 grams at 72 km/h.

I've also been involved with aerodynamic testing of 1/5th and 1/4th scale cars in comparison to their 1/1 scale counterparts. From the results, I'm certain that aerodynamics plays an important part in 1/16th scale cars as well, especially at the speeds the H8 gets to. Afterall, if the rear wing didn't do much, then why would Kyosho bother making the wing adjustable?

If I ever get a chance to I'll throw the H8 into the wind tunnel, but I doubt that this can happen because of the cost of running such tests.