PDA

View Full Version : Testing on hold

half8 abuser
05-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Well, I did this on Friday but didn't have my camera because I let a friend use for the weekend.

I just got it back so I snapped a couple of shots of the problem. just another problem that needs fixing with this thing.

As you can see the screw just stripped out of the steering knuckle. The damn screws just don't stay in though.

So when 3racing comes out with there aluminum steering knuckle I will be buying a set. Until then the car will be sitting and waiting.

http://img171.echo.cx/img171/2712/broke16gq.jpg

http://img171.echo.cx/img171/4059/broke27ic.jpg

mOOsE
05-23-2005, 12:02 AM
thats weird. some people have this issue and some don't. I have had no problems with my knuckles. did you ever take them apart before this happened?

WhoMe
05-23-2005, 12:30 AM
I have had this issue..and I took them apart to put in the bearings. This seemed to weakin the threads and caused them to strip out. However i have since replaced the knuckles with new stock replacements and have noticed that they too are becoming loose. The problem is that there is simply not enough material where the screws screw into the knuckle..so it doesnt take much for the threads to become worn. I cant wait for the aluminum knuckles to become availible.

BitHed
05-23-2005, 12:57 AM
...the knuckles are now the ONLY problem i am having with my car...They suck...well the plastic in the stock rims sucks too :o I have tried different screws, different washers, alloy washers, new stock washers, fat screws, skinny screws, tapping screws the whole deal...i have even tried fitting a countersunk screw from the INSIDE of the knuckle and bolting the OUTSIDE to no avail...They suck plain and simple...I too will be all over a set of front knuckles...I might grab a set of rear hubs too just to balance the weight of the machine but I am not too enthused about that...But i think it needs to be done...

mOOsE
05-23-2005, 01:33 AM
weight? the 3racing stuff has been very light for alloy

BitHed
05-23-2005, 01:38 AM
...yes it has...i meant more that if i put alloy in the front then i will need to balance that in the back too...Or maybe i might not because most of the electronics are in the back...but the knuckles are definately a part that MUST be alloy...Arms dont need to be IMO...

...BTW Abuser's shots are INCREDIBLE clear and clean...I suppose he has a million dollar camera too ;)

.5x8
05-23-2005, 03:06 AM
well yeh! of course he would have a expensive camera! have you seen his 1:1 scale toys?!?!?! lol and his mansion!??! lol

OneTimeCRX
05-23-2005, 10:43 AM
From what I could tell, his camera is a Sony Cybershot. :)

The screws in my steering knuckle pop out all the time too. Quite simply, a tiny screw with only two threads going into soft plastic isn't going to hold things together very long. It's a poor design IMO.

Once I let my gf drive the car around a bit, and she drove it straight into a metal pole. It smashed the rim up in 3 peices and broke the front knuckle carrier in half. Of course, the knuckle itself also went flying. I could really use a full bumper and alloys pieces on this car!

A small tip about the screws for the front knuckle - you can use screws that are normally used for computer cases, and if you put a small piece of tape below the lower screw it'll catch the screw next time it pops out.

BitHed
05-23-2005, 11:09 AM
...whats NASTY about Abuser's injury is that he hasnt even cracked a rim yet :eek:

quikslvr
05-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Abuser - My buggy look exactly the same as yours and will be sitting on the shelf until the knuckles are ready. The knuckle design really bites.

vindictor67
05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Abuser - My buggy look exactly the same as yours and will be sitting on the shelf until the knuckles are ready. The knuckle design really bites.

I agree that the knuckle design is saddd. I had my 8 apart to install my new bearings and shocks (Thanks for the care package Bit). Had it running SWEET. Everything was smooth on the pavement, as soon as i started running on the sand track, got about 2 laps and lost 80% of my steering throw. mostly to the right :mad: with a HS-85MG servo. Seems that sand and grit get in between the knuckles and makes them GRITTY. Why arn't the kingpins installed with bearings? I would think that they should at least have teflon washers or something similar were the knuckles connect up to the arms. Is anyone else having this kind of problem?

halfEIGHT
05-23-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm just curious - how does this compare to the 1/8th scale version?

vindictor67
05-23-2005, 08:08 PM
My mugen uses a Pillowball setup. I'm not sure on the kyosho buggys.

BitHed
05-23-2005, 08:11 PM
...hang on a minute..a pillow ball in the TOP of the front steering knuckle? That might work...

vindictor67
05-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey guys, Are you having any problems with the knuckles binding (while DIRTY)?