PDA

View Full Version : AON 4900 OPINIONS

theturd
01-09-2006, 09:09 AM
I like to thank everyone for their support toward fellow drivers and AON brushless motors. Looking at 2006, we are making some final decisions on some of our prototype motors.

So here is a chance for everyone to brain storm on features you would like AON or even other motor mfg to include, to add, to eliminate, and to improve. Don't hold back, because it is not going to help yourself to keep all that anger within. If you are shy, you can email me directly at schao@aonelectric.com.

note: we definitely can not incorporte every ideas you guys put up, because we are in the final phase of product testing.

RURC
01-26-2006, 02:11 AM
How about an outrunner for those of us who also fly. A nice small 20 mm or so 980 rpm/v that will take 14.4 v. Also I would really like a 4900 to 5900 for my Mini inferno and B4 that will handle 14.4. I just saw the 1509/2.5D. I think this might work in my 1/4 scale Cessna. OOOHHHHHH I gotta talk to you about this. I will be calling you. :D

leapingbug
02-05-2006, 04:12 AM
Im going to leave the tech side to you. Good products :D
This isnt anything ground breaking but why dont you offer you motors in different colors like a black titanuim silver red so-on I dunno it be cool :cool:

pimpsmurf
02-05-2006, 07:12 AM
ditto on the colors thing. This pinkish red is kinda weak. =)

btw, the Aon 4900 will handle 14v I think.

-JNY

Mazda787b
02-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Well I have been running the crap outta mine ever since I recieved it (had it since May I believe?). There are only 3 things I would liek to see changed:

1) Speed. I never ran a H8, but I would trade off a little of the motor's torque for some speed when running in a lighter car such as M18, Mini-T, RC18.

2) Heat. No matter what gearing I ran the motor would get what I felt was too hot.

3) ESC. Not Aon's fault, but I do not like the Mamba ESC. When I get a new system for this year's racing season I am going to go wtih a Tekin or Quark.

Steve, I have been so busy with everything that I haven't called you lately with feedback like I have in the past. Feel free to drop me an email if you want something more in-depth.

hrtln
02-06-2006, 03:52 AM
I would love to see a sensored system like the 10th scales have. ;)

theturd
02-06-2006, 09:57 AM

Can you be more specific as to why (the particular traits/features) you love to see a sensored system instead of a sensorless or a brushed system?

theturd
02-11-2006, 06:21 AM
Whaz up guys/girls? Over 11,000 views, but 4 real post???? This time for you to speak up!!!! There is no danger!!!! I am trying to figure out ways for everyone to make a difference here.

Remember, you gotta make your voice count! This is Democracy. This is Internet. If you don't think this group is cool enough, then get others groups to joint in and make a difference.

Again, you are paying for these things. So don't you want something that fits YOU? Not the guy next to you, who is going to beat you up and down the block???

Peace,
Steven Chao,
AON Electric

theturd
02-11-2006, 06:32 AM
... the Aon 4900 will handle 14v I think.

-JNY

Yes and no. Everyone should focus on Wattage of 200-250. That is something that AON 2415 class will live comfortably in.

Watt = Volts x Amps
250W = 8.4V x 30.8A (7 cell NiCd/NiMh)
250W = 11.1V x 22.5A (3s LiPo)
250W = 14.8V x 16.9A (4s LiPo)
250W = 18.5V x 13.5A (5s LiPo) and so on... This 24XX class motor will be able to 24+ Volts.... The general problem is gearing (pinion sizes) and ESC (voltage capability).

Good and Evil
1. RPM is determined by voltage
2. Heat is determined mostly by current (Amp)

So have fun with information above (little knowledge make one more dangerous)... lol

Peace,
Steven Chao,
AON Electric

bermbuster
02-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Hey Steve,
Thanks for the chart.
Being that 1hp=746 watts is it safe to say an Aon 250w motor is 1/3 hp???
What is the optimum operating temp. of the Aon?
I have a 4900 and I dont have any issues. I do run small pinions (my style of driving). So far heat has not been any issue. If I was a faster driver I would want an aon in the 5500-6000 range. My only complaint is you need some 1/16...1/18 scale stickers (decals)

BLACKHAWK444
02-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes a higher KV would be nice. Maybe a new cool color. Basically make the fastest and more powerful motor that will fit in the H8....:)

leapingbug
02-11-2006, 08:16 PM
OK this maybe a bit much but imo I think you guys should make an extreme versoin of the 4900. example Aon thrust 4900 titanium ver comes with 1.5mm thinker diamiter and 3mm longer can (more wire winds) for a racer power delivery. Dual Boca full ceramic ball bearings (in thoery ceramics would be a great improvement over metall for the simple fact of heat and the metal expanding).And half moon highly effective heatsinks. All finished in a rugged manly titanium finish(not purple pick lol :p ) and sell it at a competitive price 70-80 abouts
O if you make one of these put me on the list to get 1

(Im just takeing this and running with it) :D

TypeR #126
02-21-2006, 10:24 PM
I'd agree with a different can color. My 4900 seems to run fairly hot too (regardless of gearing). I don't know if that's something you can fix design wise, or not. At the least, a nice matching heat sink, maybe even with a small fan mount and have the fan powered through the receiver. Maybe mount the fan at the back of the motor.

RURC
02-22-2006, 11:34 AM

I would like to know why you would want a sensored system. I do enouf testing to tell you that the sensors are crap. They work great in planes (but if you notice there is no one makeing them still almost) where you dont have the heavy beating but in cars they suck. I have been running BL in cars for over 5 years now and will never stick in another sensored one again. With the exception of testing to prove the superiority of anyone elses system. I have the Novak and tha LRP set ups that I only use for comparison. They sit on the shelf till i need them. I cant tell you how many times I have had the sensors replaced on the motors on both of them. Besides I have yet to find a system that will not out perform them. My B4 with a Mamba 25 esc and a hyperion motor severly out performes either of the other 2 sensored systems. The Novak and the LRP will not allow you to run higher voltages and are very heavy comparitively to similar larger sized systems. Also they are maxing out around 250 to 275 watts. What a pittance. Even the Aon motors for the H8 will run eaisly run in the 250 watt area all day and they are half the size. Now you couple that with the severe decrease in weight you have a much better performing system and no sensors to die. Now my Hackers, Chili Peppers, and KB motors all will run over 1500 watts. That is almost 2 hp. Absoultely killing the Novak and LRP and no sensors. All sensored technology gives (besides another part to fail) is a eaisier time for the programmer of the controlling processor. This helps you exactly none. However it makes r&d cheaper for the manufacturer. Did you ever wonder why the biggest (?) 2 big manufacturers in RC cars use sensors...... well you can only use their products with their stuff. Kinds of looks like they are trying to monopolize something. Maby they should be looked at under the RICO laws (LOL).

Steve all I want is more rpm (but no loss in torque) and high voltage compatability and wattage. I love the red but a shiny black or titanium would be great but that is unimportant. I want to stick one of your motors in my B4 replaceing the Hyperion.

dj_ski69
03-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Hello,
I may be new here to the Half-8 world but I have my fair share of brushless experience with 8th and 10th scale trucks....If I may make a suggestion towards the AON R&D.....
Why not make the motor fit into 380 specs...
Increase the diameter to 28mm and lengthen the can anywhere from 37 to 45 mm in length....Also a 28mm diameter allows for more of a snug fit to motors mounts on cars that have 380 motorswhich in turn allows for more heat dissapation....
Both increases in motor specs would allow For a larger and longer magnet on the rotor and more copper along the inside of the can, which increases the torque and decreases the load(in regards to both motor and ESC) allowing for a cooler running motor when used in cars such as the Mini Inferno or Inferno ST as well as the Mini Quake from Duratrax etc.
Also the standard shaft size of 2.3mm for 380 spec motors would be a good thing due to the increased torque....The added strength compared to that of a 2mm shaft is better...
Ribbing the outside of the can like that of the Fiego 380C series motors helps to cut the weight and helps to cool the off more efficiently...
These specs would be a near perfect combo for the Half Eight Series as well as othe mini's available....
IMHO a 180 to 200 size can is just not good enough for heavier vehicles that require more torque but cannot fit a 540 size motor inside....

I'm sure you are already aware of these things but its just my 2 cents....
Thanks for listening

Peace

SkI

BitHed
03-05-2006, 01:53 PM
...Ski...welcome to the boards my friend...I can read from you recent posts that you do indeed have some very good background knowledge...Thank you muchly for sharing...And this post you made here is SO incredibly close to AON R&D that its scary :cool: Good call on the comments you made...I look forward to your further comments on the boards :D