PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a newbie!

salvorhardin
05-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum, and a proud owner of a Mini Inferno. Must say I really like this page. It has given me a lot of tips and ideas, but you guys are a bit too experienced for me. But I'm getting there! :)

My question:

Do you have any good links to "newbie sites" or information pages about RC Cars? I really need to learn the basics. You know, like, what is "Slipping Gears". How and WHY do I need to adjust certain things. Well, I think you know what I mean!

Greetings from Gothenburg, Sweden!

/S

vindictor67
05-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Welcome Salvor, hang in there and we will get you up to speed. The hardest part is over (Having the H8) :D . Now you just need to make it run like you want it too. For very basic info. try www.easyrc.com. If you need to know something just ask us here. There is a LOT of knowledge floating around this site. Most importantly HAVE FUN and ask questions. A "Slipper Gear" takes away some of the shock or impact off of the motor and drivetrain. Look at the motor on your H8. The PINION is the gear attached to the motor. It meshes with the SPUR gear (large black plastic gear). It looks like the spur is 2 gears in one. The Large and Small plastic gear. Actualy it is 2 seperate pieces with a metal washer seperating them. This allows the Spur gear and the drive gear to "slip" if there is a large difference in force. Example If you take a large jump and hold the throttle down the speed of the wheels increase while in the air. When the car lands the wheels and drivetrain immediatly have to slow when they come back in contact with the ground. Now the motor and Spur are spinning much faster than the drivetrain which has slowed down. This creates a lot of force that would break parts. By having a spring loaded tension against the metal washer it allows the spur to "slip" and decrease these forces. Hope it helps, got a little long winded. Not a hard concept but hard to explain. ;)

OneTimeCRX
05-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Welcome! Nice to see someone else from Göteborg here. :)

Understanding all these details gets much easier when you have a H8 in front of you. Otherwise things like slipping gears don't really make sense!

salvorhardin
05-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Oh, Hi there OneTime! :)

We have to race some day.

Do you know if there are any RC clubs or anything like it here i Gbg?

OneTimeCRX
05-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Yes, there's Väst-8 in Torslanda!

Väst-8 (http://www.vast-8.se)

I've never visited there yet, but I heard that it's an impressive site.

halfEIGHT
05-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Welcome salvorhardin! :) Don't worry, not everyone here are experts, and there are plenty of people who are happy to answer your questions, don't be afraid to ask! :)