PDA

View Full Version : Gear Mesh

vindictor67
05-18-2005, 01:11 AM
I noticed today that the mesh between my pinion and spur was excessively tight. I set down the H8 to get some tools. When I came back and spun it everything seemed fine. After a little fiddleing around, I found that I could flex the chassis enough to greatly effect the mesh. If I can change it this drasticaly just moving it with my hands, what is happening during a hard run? Seems to me that the mesh will vary between too tight to too loose thru-out a run. The CAW chassis is looking better and better. My only concern is that I'm not sure that I want to add that much weight. Is anyone else seeing this flex? Is anyone using the CAW chassis and if so how much more does it weigh? Has anyone heard of a carbon fiber chassis reinforcement in the works? Will CAW sell the chassis in the shop?

Thanks

BitHed
05-18-2005, 01:32 AM
...3Racing is doing their alloy plate which fits under the rear deck which would look like it might work ok, AND provide a little more weight over the rear wheels...

...I know what you mean about weight but reduce your overall weight with titty screws and NON impact carbon pieces and you SHOULD be able to balance out with whatever chassis you end up with...

...CAW has been a little quiet of late so they must be doing something big...I too would like to have the alloy chassis now that i have sufficient power coming from the AON 4900 ;)

vindictor67
05-18-2005, 01:40 AM
Hey Bit, You really like the AON? I was going to try and get on in on the testing but I figured he probably had all the "applicants" he could handle. Are you having any heat issues with the AON? Where can I get one to try?

BitHed
05-18-2005, 01:47 AM
...Vindictor the AON rocks !! its quick and easy and makes the H8 ALL it SHOULD be...Heat is essentially a NON-issue with 6 cells...Try checking with AON direct...Be sure and tell them that BitHed talked you into it ;)

Hawk
05-18-2005, 01:50 AM
Yes, the chassis flexes like a yoga teacher. There are links front and rear that are supposed to tie the front bulkhead to the chassis and the rear bulkhead to the chassis. They use ball cups and don't work worth a darn. The 1/8 uses a similar arrangement and the first thing you do is replace those with bolt down 7075 alu. pieces. Takes nearly all the flex out and they don't pop off like the ball cup thingies. I don't think the chassis is strong enough to not flex and stay in one piece. I have seen 4mm 7075 alum chassis w/bolt down chassis braces that will throw sparks from the flywheel hitting the chassis on a hard jump. You will always have some flex, you just need to control it.
I stupidly bought the ti chassis brace rods and installed them to see that they do very little. Too much slop in the cups and if you tighten them, they pop off.
:rolleyes:

vindictor67
05-18-2005, 01:58 AM
Hey Hawk, Yes I have Ti braces on my Mugen MBX R4. I believe that those braces only help in the flexing front to back. I think I need bracing side to side to keep the slipper unit and motor locked in position.

rstnboy
05-18-2005, 03:20 AM
vindictor67,

I was lucky enough to be one of the AON 4900 testers as well and I can confirm what Bithed says about it. So far it is the ideal motor for the Half8. It is fast but not so fast that you easily lose control. I have tried mine with 11.1 and 7.4 lipos and I actually prefer the 7.4. Heat is definitely not an issue with this motor even without a heatsink and there is torque to spare. I am running a 12T RC18T pinion and could easily move up a tooth or two with no ill effects. Since I do most of my running on a 1/8 scale track, the added torque is worth more to me than top end.

As for the chassis flex,..it definitely flexes way too much and needs something along the lines of what is available for its larger brethren. Barring that, perhaps the CAW chassis will put an end to this and, with strategic milling in all the right places, will not be too much heavier than the stock chassis. I would gladly take a little extra weight in exchange for a rigid chassis (especially if it also allows a relocated center diff/motor configuration).

WhoMe
05-18-2005, 03:47 AM
You call that alot of flex? lol I actually thought it was pretty rigid. I spent too much time with the 1/18th scale trucks i guess.

BitHed
05-18-2005, 03:54 AM
...hahaha...WhoMe me too!! lol...I thought it was fine..sure there was a tiny little bit in there you could feel on the long straights but i thought it was ok...lol...I guess we should listen to the top-down guys ;)

...on a side note I just buzzed frank @ CAW and got him out of bed on the alloy chassis issue...we wait with baited breath for his hallowed reply ;)

Mini-Devil
05-18-2005, 05:19 PM
...Vindictor the AON rocks !! its quick and easy and makes the H8 ALL it SHOULD be...Heat is essentially a NON-issue with 6 cells...Try checking with AON direct...Be sure and tell them that BitHed talked you into it ;)

Hi BitHed,

Probably not the right place to ask you about the AON, but here I go anyway: :D
- are you currently running the AON with 6-cell nihm batteries?
- does it give enough punch and topspeed?
- and how is the runtime? (please say what cells you are using)

I want to switch to brushless but I am not ready to go for lipos yet and would like to stick to my 6-cell nimh packs for the time being. So it's a real concern to me to know whether brushless motors will run ok with that kind of power or not. :confused:

And by the way, how would you compare the AON with Mambas?

Last question: what kind of ESC are you using with the AON? Will a Mamba 25 do?

Thanks!!!