PDA

View Full Version : Rear end Slipping

Jerry
08-05-2008, 07:44 AM
I will admit that I know nothing about the gear cases in these. My knowledge is only by taking apart the rear end case at least 4 times. Don't remember the weight of the oil, but I can tell you it is thick.

Here is my problem--after slippage and loosing all rear drive--I disassemble the rear end and inspect gears, fill the gear housing with oil (thick), check mesh and reassemble. All works fine for about 20 minutes then slippage, then no drive.

The front drive is working fine, but running only fronts puts undue strain on the motor and makes running full speed hazardous to the rear gears which are slipping. Sorry, forgot to mention it is a "Nitro" version if that matters.

How can I make the rear end fixed? Like a solid rear axle. No independent turning, just pure pull. Is there a simple fix, trick?

Please help me, I love the buggy. I spoke to someone with an electric version and he is experiencing the same problems. All of you die-hard Mini lovers, please help me with any suggestions if you can.

P.S. I love the .09 motor in it. That sucker screams after it warms up.

t9dragon
08-06-2008, 05:46 AM
Have you tried shimming the diff? Are you leaking the diff fluid? I have had my 09 for 3 years and haven't had any problems with the rear diff.

Jerry
08-06-2008, 05:57 AM
I don't believe I'm leaking fluid. It must be going somewhere.
Shimming? The inner working of the gears inside are the culprit.
I've read numerous things recently, even filling the inside with silly putty to effectively make the inside solid.
Was looking into one of those new adjustable limited slip rear ends.
Probably will take it apart again, clean it and fill it with heavy grease. Next try will be that limited slip gear/rear end set-up.
Thanks for the reply, I wish I knew more about these. Limited experience, but learning about the workings is 1/2 of the fun?
Later--will post up about the outcome.

legacy_gt
08-12-2008, 04:57 AM
i'm an electric racer. i've read though that you can clean the grease off the gears using solvent. then use 1000WT diff fluid and then seal it. it's supposed to be real smooth. sounds like you may have a leak or have stripped the gears. once you keep slipping, somthing isnt right and you'll be ruining the gears somewhere.

Jerry
08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Cleaned up the gears and replaced the worn ones. Packed it with heavy-duty garage door multi-purpose grease. I essentially made it non-slip and a solid rear end. Seems to be working good so far. I'm just tired of loosing the rear drive.
That limited-slip rear end I see advertised in places is always out of stock. Will keep plugging away until it becomes available.

legacy_gt
08-21-2008, 02:39 AM
keep us updated. have u ever thought of going electric? i bet my lipo car could keep up with your car ;-)

Jerry
08-21-2008, 07:55 AM
:eek::eek::eek:
I'm a nitro guy. Love the sounds, smell, etc. My nitro 1/5 scale Thunder Tiger Ducati started it all. Love the bike and the sight of it pulling a wheelie out of a corner is priceless. Stock motor in it (.12). The motor in the bike is getting old and loosing power.

The 1/16 scale Mini Inferno buggy .09 is also nitro. Running 20% as of now. With it having no low-speed needle to adjust, the tune is what it is. When it warms up, it RIPS! Amazing what you can get out of a little .09.

My car is a 1/8 scale Inferno GT (Ferrari). Also stock motor, but still runs 40+.

Back to the original question/problem: I've only run the buggy for 10 minutes, but the rear end seems OK. If the problem persists I will be ordering a limited slip gear set-up (hell-two of them). Plus some other things to spiff it up.

legacy_gt
08-22-2008, 03:18 AM
nitro or electric its all good fun :-)