PDA

View Full Version : Mamba heat issue addresed

jatetu
05-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, i was trying with fans... and the problem has been solved with an alu motor mount (mine is 3racing).

Last weekend i was running at full speed during 20 minutes in a 1/8 offroad track... and i got 100 ºC (more than 200 F) :eek:

Now i put the alu motor mount an a more powerfull fan and.... i get up to 64 ºC (147.2 F). :)

I was driving during one hour, and the temp goes between 50ºC and 60ºC. So i think this solve the problem.

And the fan is 80 mah.

kerk
05-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Well, i was trying with fans... and the problem has been solved with an alu motor mount (mine is 3racing).

Last weekend i was running at full speed during 20 minutes in a 1/8 offroad track... and i got 100 ºC (more than 200 F) :eek:

Now i put the alu motor mount an a more powerfull fan and.... i get up to 64 ºC (147.2 F). :)

I was driving during one hour, and the temp goes between 50ºC and 60ºC. So i think this solve the problem.

And the fan is 80 mah.

It is great to hear that! What model is your fan? Any pics of your setup?

jatetu
05-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Hi kerk, the fan is 4x4cm oem (no brand) 5500 rpm. I will post some pics.

TNB
05-12-2005, 04:12 PM
I take it that is NOT with a LiPo.

Smoothound
05-12-2005, 05:11 PM
My H8 Mamba 8000Kv still gets a bit too hot with a fan on board especially on grass.

I've just had a package containing a few hopups from 3Racing including an ally motor mount hopefully the added heatsink properties will bring the temp down nearer 150 than 200 degrees.

Just need some more capable packs now than these 3s 1320 lipos, roll on more of the Prolites :D

jatetu
05-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Smooth, have you got the heatsink special for mamba? i've got from
b-p-p.com, and helps a lot.

TNB, sure two sets of 2400 mah (2 cells, 7,4 v.)

Now, i'm trying a hacker e-flite 4900 and is steel cooler and much more torque. The problem (like Mega) is that the dust get into. It has 4 holes in both sides.

Definitely, the alu motor mount helps a lot.

TNB
05-12-2005, 11:01 PM
I'd expect it run at lower temps with a 7.4v than with a 11.1v LiPo set up. However, I am surprised that you are running an 8000kv motor for 1 hour even if that is 30 minutes per pack. What pinion gear were you using and what is your timing setting?

TNB
05-12-2005, 11:05 PM
My H8 Mamba 8000Kv still gets a bit too hot with a fan on board especially on grass.
Although I'm assuming that you used a motor heat sink, did you turn down the timing, vent the body and vent the chassis too?

BitHed
05-13-2005, 03:54 AM
...OFF TOPIC but still relevant...I got my Xspeed to 130 celsius with an 8cell :eek: The next time that happens I will just drop into a cup of cold water with some Nescafe and brew of cup of coffee :D

losixxx
05-13-2005, 07:44 AM
what make of motor mount are people running, seen the atomic and the 3racing one, atomic one looks better to me?

Smoothound
05-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Although I'm assuming that you used a motor heat sink, did you turn down the timing, vent the body and vent the chassis too?

No I have no motor heatsink yet. I've not found anyone here that stocks one the right size but I'm speaking to a guy today that sells Hacker motors and I'm hoping he may keep one for the B20 motors which are about the same size...

Smoothound
05-13-2005, 08:40 AM
what make of motor mount are people running, seen the atomic and the 3racing one, atomic one looks better to me?

I've got the 3racing one but it's not fitted yet. I've not seen the Atomic one.

jatetu
05-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Smooth i was looking for heatsinks, i see a lot of the, but nothing like the one b-p-p.com offers. May be you could find in another shop.

This heatsink is big, ligther and cover almost all the surface of the mamba.

My settings are factory timing and maximun start power.

TNB, the mamba for me, with an 1600 mah lipo -> 18 minutes and with 2400 mah lipo -> 25 minutes. May be depends on the kind of track.

BitHed
05-13-2005, 02:27 PM
...The atomic mount looks thinner than the 3Racing...I have fitted the 3 Racing and its great quality, clean cut, nasty titanium co,lour but its better than blue...

I am fitting the AON 4900 to it and the 'lesser' front end ell means I have a FEW issues with lengths and settings but its all good with my friend 'shim'...

...Weight difference is almost non existant which is good...I dont remember the exact weight but they were the same...

...CAUTION!! The STOCK mount has the recessions for the lock nuts, also means you use the 3x8 screws...The 3Racing mount has lower sdes to it and NO recession for nuts but you COULD fit them on top of the plate...It will be a tight fit me thinks...You wont fit nuts with a motor BIGGER than stock..just no room...

WhoMe
05-13-2005, 03:17 PM
My AON motor fit perfectly on the stock mount. No adapter plate required.

BitHed
05-13-2005, 03:27 PM
...Man you got yours quick...4 days ago you were asking us where we got them ;) welcome to the fold ;)

...Yes it fit fine on the 3Racing mount too...Its just a little too far FORWARD, ie IN the mount, to use a a H( pinion any bigger than 12t...You run out of area to mesh...Hard to figure out without pics i know...Its a sexy little beast though for sure...

WhoMe
05-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Yeah asking about the motor..I think AON is really trying to make a BIG motor geared for cars. And I like that because I dont know much about BL and searching for BL airplane motors is tricky bussiness as they are not designed for torque. I cant wait to put it on the track.

TNB
05-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Smooth My settings are factory timing and maximun start power.

TNB, the mamba for me, with an 1600 mah lipo -> 18 minutes and with 2400 mah lipo -> 25 minutes. May be depends on the kind of track.
I was wondering about the settings since when I first obtained a CM2080 and ran it in my Xray M18, it was suggested that I turn down the timing when running a 3-cell LiPo to help reduce the heat. And that's the way I've had the speed control set up on all the brushless motors I've been running.

Last night I ran two 1900 maH 3-Cell LiPos back-to-back. I probably got around 20 minutes out of each pack when I noticed reverse was a little more difficult to get into using the 14T. However, I was still using the AON brushless motor. I also noticed the motor case temp reading was a lot higher on the inside portion than compared to the end points and case portion near the body.

Last night was also back-yard bashing and street running: Pine cones, pine needles, long grass, loose rocks, and the asphalt. Now, I need another set of front tires--the street really did a number on them.

rstnboy
05-13-2005, 08:32 PM
TNB,

Did you ever try the AON 2815 (the largest one in your picture posted here: http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album649/MotorCompare3.jpg )?

TNB
05-13-2005, 09:15 PM
No, I haven't tried that one yet since I'm still trying out the other one and I've been busy packing and moving RCP Track out of a warehouse that I've been using for six months. :(

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album664/LW14.jpg

WhoMe
05-13-2005, 10:43 PM
TNB loooooves his RCP

TNB
05-16-2005, 02:48 AM
Well it was inside and out of the elements unlike where I was running the Kyosho Mini-Inferno today. When I pulled into the driveway, I noticed the the thermometer in my SUV read 100F and I know the temp is usually around 10F hotter at the local off-road track where I was running R/Cs today (Kyosho Mini-Inferno, Mugen mbX5, and Tamiya F1).

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album667

halfEIGHT
05-16-2005, 06:07 PM
OT, but nice track - where's the vid of you running on it? :) :cool:

TNB
05-16-2005, 06:50 PM
No vids though it would have been a good time for it since I hardly every crashed any of my R/Cs (Kyosho Mini-Inferno, Mugen mbX5, and Tamiya F1)--amazing for me.

I did put in a fresh 3-cell lipo and hit one of the larger jumps full throttle to see how are the Kyosho Mini-Inferno would fly--that landing was pretty rough but it looked pretty dang neat doing half-a-dozen cartwheels since it overshot the jump by a very long ways. A couple of people looked at me like I was nuts, but I just giggled away since I did it on purpose--the eventual landing on four wheels was an accident and/or very lucky since it's not even St. Pat's Day.

With a full charge the Mini-Inferno would fly farther than my mbX5 but I was running the mbX5 pretty rich since it was so freaking hot and of course, the mbX5 could handle the overall track better anway since the lighter and smaller Mini-Inferno still has to work harder on the larger track. And when the lipos died down, the Mini-Inferno couldn't even make that same jump it would previously fly over.

Now, I also need a new slipper gear because the motor slipped and the metal toothed pinion gear chewed the heck out of the plastic gear. I was thinking about running it anyway, but I'll be in Cali by Saturday so I should be able to get some replacement parts. The front tires are also pretty bald.

vindictor67
06-02-2005, 02:12 AM
I think I found a way to control the heat issue with the Mamba 25 and 6800Kv but it means compromising performance. Using the mamba link USB cord, if you set the throttle curve very low it reduces the amp draw and the heat issues. I don't have any exact numbers yet, but after Castle said they would replace my 6800 I decided to see what would happen if I cranked the Throttle Curve WAY UP. The car become pretty much un-controllable. Talk about G-Forces, this thing takes off like a bottle rocket on 8 GP1100's. Luckily I was running in fairly loose sand and didn't destroy any diffs. It was throwing some serious "rooster tails". After about 10 min. of Hard running I pulled the lid and temped it. The 6800 with full length finned heat sink was 204 deg. F. I didn't temp the esc but I did melt off the protective heat shrink wrap. :eek:

I would like to have others with the Mamba Link to try this and see If we can find an optimal setting were we don't over heat but have GREAT performance. I will keep testing once I get my new 6800 and post results.

.5x8
06-03-2005, 03:56 AM
i might consider a fan if i get a mamba instead of the AON 4900, i have tons of little fans lieing around....and ill hook it up with a 9v batt..see how it does..i rather have a heatsink though..lol

vindictor67
06-03-2005, 04:19 AM
Just add the Fan, Connector, 9V battery, Heat sink, and the Kitchen sink. I'll blow by ya' at 185 deg. F. and Smile :) while doing it........................ :rolleyes:

JonteJsson
06-04-2005, 11:58 AM
@Jatetu.
Where did you fit your fan?
Got some pics?

jatetu
06-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi Jonte,

I put it over the motor. The fan is 4x4cm. High speed. I've got it at my local hardware store.

http://www.quatricomedia.com/topami/h8mamba3.jpg

I used velcro tape to fit.

cheers