PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Los Angeles

aculici
05-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Hi guys, I don't have a half-eight, but am drooling :cool: for one. I do own an RC18T though, with a few hop-ups (Reedy motor and GP11 6 cell battery), MIP CVD's, heatsinks...).

I am very curious about how this H8 platform pans out! It's a great design and from what I can tell it handles much better than an RC18T (which is the one to beat at the moment). The only issue I see so far is that of speed, which stock is not very impressive...

If there is anyone in Los Angeles (or nearby) with a H8, drop me a line so we can race and geek out...

TNB
05-10-2005, 07:24 AM
I don't really think my 3-Cell LiPo'd brushless motored Mini-Inferno is that slow. Are you attending RCX?

aculici
05-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Yeah, an upgraded H8 with your setup would have to be pretty kick ass! I just meant out of the box performance, which for the RC18T is faster. It's generally clocked at 18-20 mph. The first review I read on the H8 in one of the mags, clocked it at 12 mph! Seems kind of slow, who knows, maybe they did not have it optimally set up.

I do plan on going to RCX! I'm gonna try to get a couple of people together to go as well. We'll see how it goes. Are you planning on attending?

TNB
05-10-2005, 03:57 PM
I plan to attend RCX and may even demo my Mini-Inferno with the slower brushless motor.

Here are the speed figures from Kyosho America's website link.
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/
http://commerce2.i2net.com/able55stores/stores/9/Half-Eight-Mini-Inferno-777-Type-1-P738C104.aspx
Q: What its maximum speed?
A: 6-Cell Battery + Normal Motor - Maximum speed of 21 km/h
6-Cell battery + Optional Motor - Maximum Speed of 23 km/h (not recommended due to increased power consumption)
Half-Eight SP Battery (8-Cell) + Normal Motor - Maximum speed of 28km/h
Half-Eight SP Battery (8-Cell) + Optional Motor - Maximum speed of 34km/h

21 km/h = 13.05 mph (the box also has 13 mph)
34 km/h = 21.13 mph
http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/speed.php

The 13.05 mph is using alkaline batteries, not Hi-MH like what was shipped with the 18T or a so-called "Super 280 high-performance motor." I've also read of faster claims to speed using a different option motor.

Myself, if I simply wanted mini-speed, I'd simply hop-up my Losi Mini-T since it is light and has already been speed rated at 60+. However, I also want mini-handling and a mini-buggy which only leaves two options--the Kyosho Mini-Inferno and the A-Tech buggy which has yet to be released. And if I simply wanted to go fast, I'd get a Schumacher Fusion.

So how does your 18T handle on an 1/8th scale dirt track?

aculici
05-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Ooohh, I just checked out the A-Tech (Shumacher distributed) 1/18 buggy! Very sweet looking, thanks for the tip!

My RC18T is pretty spin out happy! That is why I am so interested in the H8, as it seems much more stable. I've never driven it on a dirt track, but it's been on many dirt lots, beat-up crumbly alleys, etc, and it handles very well. The spinning out can be averted through carefull driving and a little dialing on the dual rate.