PDA

View Full Version : no need for fuel filter ?

Xircom
07-02-2007, 07:07 AM
have got this mini inferno lately, and as a heli flyer I am quite concerned about two things, first of all the fuel tank collects a lot of dirth, and secondly, there is no filter between the fuel tank and the motor, means the dirth even finds the way into the engine. Now I was thinking at least a filter would help, anyone using this ??

Thanks,

Tinytacohead
07-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Yes, put a filter in-line. The majority of nitro stuff out there doesn't come with a filter. I've pretty much always had to add my own. In the rare instances where somthing's come with a filter built into the tank, I've always added an in-line one as well for good measure. Personally I'm running this overpriced one in my Mini:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLYW4&P=7

It's pretty and gets the job done. :p Also, you want to clean & re-oil the airfilter element rather often. For the record, I run an airfilter on my aircraft engines as well.

Xircom
07-04-2007, 05:02 AM
nice, yes I also put something similar now into the fuel line it has bit bigger width, but essentially same. I think it's also important to clean it every now and then, that is easy done with in-line filter, but not if it's part of the tank !

when you talk about this air-filter oil, how much is really needed ? I just recently washed it with soap to make it clean and then massaged some of the air filter oil in, it's slightly red now, but no idea how it should look like - or how much is needed. I do not drive normally in complete dirt.

Anyway as heli pilot, the way of re-fueling is quite new to me, I used to fill inline through a "T" connector, but now just open a cap ... and around this cap there is a lot of dust and stuff, it well be, that those things are just dropping into the tank ! Well, anyway have a filter now - the tank does not seem to have.

Tinytacohead
07-04-2007, 05:35 AM
You've got it right, just enough so the filter has a red tint to it/it's not dripping out of the filter when not squeezing it etc. Yeah, I hear ya on re-filling. I do the T-thing with a crank and whatnot in my aircraft, and I hadn't thought about it, but definitely alot more chance to get debris in the tank when just popping a lid! (when cranking fuel into an aircraft tank, I've usually got a filter on the end of the line that's feeding out of the jug as well)

Xircom
07-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I upgraded to a filter now definitely between tank and motor, just to make sure nothing goes into the engine :D Well, of course if you use the "T" connector, you also would need a fuel pump, so that is a bit complicated to me for a car, heli is different :rolleyes: after some drives I wonder also if I should add an exhaust deflector, right now the smoke just basically cools down on the tires and side of the car, makes it dirty :confused:

Tinytacohead
07-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Yeah, side exhausts are a mess. Some people run a tip extension of sorts - I just let it get dirty and deal with it, lol.