PDA

View Full Version : Parts Wear?

acsubie
04-22-2007, 12:35 AM
after about a 3-4 month layoff from RC, i finally got the bug again a few days back...decided to get the 09 ready for the spring so i rebuilt the diffs and other tid bits..also ordered the alloy "tuned" pipe

well after about 5 tanks today, i think i was reminded why i got kinda fed up with R/C...the maintenance..now dont get me wrong, i like performing maintenance to keep all my R/C in top shape, but the 09 has to have some of the weakest parts

After about 5 tanks today heres the list of broken parts:

-center drive shafts are again starting to show ALOT of wear on the pins(this is my 2nd set)

-brake disc "notches" wore thru leading to no brakes

-throttle servo began to glitch at WOT(with the engine off servo operated fine, once the engine was on and i began to give alot of throttle the servo would open/close the carb causing lots on inconsistency..if i had not taken the body off and taken a closer look i woulda though the engine was not tuned correctly, but i have made minimal changes in the needles)

-Rear diff is destroyed---diff pinion and ring gear are destroyed(everytime i rebuilt the diffs a generous amount of teflon lube was used between these 2 gears) what material are these made of?

now dont get me wrong, i am in no way whining, but i think the wear and tear on this micro is accelerated 10 fold because of the powerful motor..which leads to the argument, are nitro motors right for micros? def. not for newbies ill tell ya :o

also keep in mind this 09 is fairly new...it has no more than 20 tanks thru it...the motor is still very strong and for the couple tanks i had it running optimally today i had a bid smile on my face :)

any thoughts/comments?

Tinytacohead
04-23-2007, 04:39 AM
Do you have any other radio systems you can try, as far as the transmitter/reciever? AM radios, like the stock one, are alot more prone to interference. I ditched mine as soon as I made sure it worked, and threw my Novak XXL reciever in. (which I use paired with my Airtronics MX-3 radio) I hear ya on 'losing" the RC bug.. I've been revamping my Nitro Rustler here and there over the last month or two, and last week, for no apparent reason, my nice steering servo burnt iteslf up. :mad: I threw it back in the closet before I got mad enough to break anything for real, lol. I've yet to run my Mini - been collecting some goodies for it and waiting for nicer weather. Should be ordering some fuel soon though. Oh, as far as the brake disk problem, do you have the add-on front brake disk installed? I do, though like I said, I've yet to run it, so looking for feedback on it etc. Also, I dunno if it wil help, but I plan to clean the white grease out that comes in the cups and use some of this instead:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=784

acsubie
04-23-2007, 05:20 AM
i am using DSM, front brake kit was suppose to be here sat, but order mix up by company :mad: ..i ordered new servos so i should be set as soon as my gears come

Tinytacohead
04-23-2007, 05:34 AM
Cool. I've got Kyosho's front disk, though I think I set my linkage up a little differently than they instructed. Can't really tell with their crazy instructions! :p

kreidel
05-02-2007, 04:55 AM
The wear on these were unbearable to me so I sold mine.

acsubie
05-02-2007, 06:16 AM
new servo worked wonders for the 09..braking is very strong and throttle seems so responsive

Multiplex Polo Digi- throttle
Futaba 3102- steering

also the kyosho center CVDs seem to take abuse better than the stock dogbones...after about 6-8 tanks they show very little wear

the buggy itself is running great and has been getting quite the workout lately

DAVEMAN
05-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Speaking of wear...I am sooooo mad. I was supposed to run my inferno 09 for the 2nd time yesterday. Well it turns out that my reciever fried somehow. I have no idea how this could have happend. It worked fine the last time I ran it, all the way up to when I turned it off....it hasnt gotten wet ot anything. Its just been sitting on a shelf for a couple of weeks. And of course I cant find a micro AM reciever. So I've had it less than a month and now I have to poor a bunch more money into it. I thought about contacting kyosho america to see if the would do anything about it. Im just seriously mad....

Tinytacohead
05-03-2007, 08:28 AM
I haven't taken measurements to check, but here's an AM micro:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFTC5**&P=7

IMO, it'd be prime time to upgrade to an FM set anywho though. AM are more susceptable to interference, including metal to metal contact, which you've got alot of going on in a nitro vehical.. I feel your pain though. I pulled the Nitro Rustler outta the closet and had been revamping it for use again. The other day I turned the transmitter off before killing power to the reciever, my nice JR steering servo went nuts and fried itself within 5 seconds. :mad:

I'd definitely contact Kyosho in your case - it's worth a try. I had front C-hubs breaking on a regular basis on the Rustler years back and Traxxas kept replacing them completely free of charge! (and now I've got 3 spare right hand ones in my parts bin :) )

acsubie
05-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Speaking of wear...I am sooooo mad. I was supposed to run my inferno 09 for the 2nd time yesterday. Well it turns out that my reciever fried somehow. I have no idea how this could have happend. It worked fine the last time I ran it, all the way up to when I turned it off....it hasnt gotten wet ot anything. Its just been sitting on a shelf for a couple of weeks. And of course I cant find a micro AM reciever. So I've had it less than a month and now I have to poor a bunch more money into it. I thought about contacting kyosho america to see if the would do anything about it. Im just seriously mad....

i got a brand new stock receiver pulled from the 09 as soon as i opened the box...illl take 11 shipped

DAVEMAN
05-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey, I'll take you up on your reciever offer. Get ahold of me either on
yahoo = lifeandhowtoliveit
aol = momotheplumber

And yeah., I know it would be wise to just upgrade to a FM radio....I'm just tired of spending money though....its hard to be a tight ass and be into RC.

Tinytacohead
05-03-2007, 11:25 PM
..And yeah., I know it would be wise to just upgrade to a FM radio....I'm just tired of spending money though....its hard to be a tight ass and be into RC.

Haha, I hear ya. My Nitro Hawk ran away from me one time too many, oh soo long ago, and I've been on FM since. A great FM radio is the Airtronics MX-3. It's relatively cheap and has multi-model memory. (as well as has all the bells & whistles almost anybody could need) I got mine dirt cheap off Ebay when my good 'ole CS2P finally kicked the bucket. I had that puppy for a good 7 years or so. :)

DAVEMAN
05-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Ah the nitro hawk....I had one of those. Still one of the coolest looking trucks if you ask me. It was a beast....a heavy beast....

Tinytacohead
05-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I had one of the first, back when they were putting Image12 engines in them. With a few modifications I had it running with Losi's & Associateds. RCCA covered some national race waay back in like '95 or so and there was a lone Nitro Hawk which placed third. Unfortunately that's all the coverage they gave on it, but it shows they could run with the "big dogs" with a few changes and the right driver in the stands. :)

DAVEMAN
05-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Wow, its kinda nice to hear from someone whos a bit older (im guessing)like myself around here. Most of the crowd are younger guys that probably have no idea what a nitro hawk is....

Tinytacohead
05-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I'm always baffled or whatever on the Traxxas forums when somebody asks what a Nitro Hawk is, haha. That was my first hobby-class RC and the bug bit hard! (especially the nitro bug :D) For the record, I'm 26 and I got the Hawk when I was 13 or 14. Unfortunately I swapped most of the goodies out when I got the Nitro Rustler around '96, and sold the rest of it off. I won't be letting go of the Rustler, ever, barring some form of natural disaster occurance. :p

acsubie
05-04-2007, 03:05 AM
Hey, I'll take you up on your reciever offer. Get ahold of me either on
yahoo = lifeandhowtoliveit
aol = momotheplumber

And yeah., I know it would be wise to just upgrade to a FM radio....I'm just tired of spending money though....its hard to be a tight ass and be into RC.

cool...i just checked and you werent online...u can get me at acsubie on AOL

paypal works: acsubie@hotmail.com

DAVEMAN
05-04-2007, 06:00 AM
cool...i just checked and you werent online...u can get me at acsubie on AOL

paypal works: acsubie@hotmail.com

Alrighty, I'll send payment tomorrow through paypay and email you my address...