PDA

View Full Version : HPI 12mm wheel hex?

Crunch
05-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Hey guys!!

Does anyone know if these will fit the H8?? I found them while browsing the Towers site. They are 12mm hexes but not too sure if the pin size would be any different. They are alot cheaper then the Trinity hexes and most importantly, should be available locally at my LHS.

HPI Hex Wheel Hub 12mm Silver (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJYM5&P=7)

or

HPI Aluminum Hex Hub Clamp Type 12mm Purple (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHFL9&P=7)

Thanks!

BitHed
05-05-2005, 01:44 AM
...crunch the axle is too short to fit the 1:10 hex's directly...opium has the trinity adaptors coming and WhoMe is runing them already with success it seems...I chiselled the H8 stock hubs and fit the 1:10 hex's OVER them for a direct fit but again the axle is a tight fit and the nut fits but its not as long as i would like it to be...MonoTuning in Hong Kong is working on some adaptors too :) As is CAW...

Crunch
05-05-2005, 01:55 AM
Ah yes Bithed buddy!!! I forgot to factor in the axle length......I knew I forgot something there..... :p

Maybe I should just wait till Mono has them. :D

You're right about the H8...it's so much FUN!!!!!

BitHed
05-05-2005, 02:19 AM
...local boys TOBEE CRAFT should have some units available soon too...BUT...what i was thinking was...QUESTION: What size are the MiniZilla bearings? what size are the TLT bearings? Maybe I can utilize some of the TOBEE parts to extend my tread or expand my wheelbase...I just need enough hours and cash to do the project at the LHS...Thoughts?

Country Alloy Works
05-05-2005, 05:46 AM
BitHed we finished our design and are on the program work with a all new chrome moly tubeular, for less weight axle for the H8 to run our hubs. They will be matched with tubeular chrome moly drive lines all the way around, and front and rear centers. A second set of centers are being done to shorten the rear and add to the front, to move the center diff. back to allow room for the 540. The wheel base is the same as stock. Lead time 2 weeks. I have never seen a desing plan like this before. We may back the parts for the life of the buggy. Also for the super bling kind of guy even spinners will fit the second set up. CAW. www.countryalloyworks.com

BitHed
05-05-2005, 10:49 AM
...CAW what would you do without me :D I have had a LONG week and its nice to think of you guys slaving away...I dont know if that makes any sense...

...At this rate I think CAW should just start turning out your OWN chassis...But a 540 in a H8 would be super-sexy...It is intriguing and i cant wait to see it...

Country Alloy Works
05-05-2005, 01:28 PM
BitHed, the chassis will sport a Novak 540 brushless set up with the chrome moly drive train. CAW.

BitHed
05-05-2005, 01:35 PM
...good good i will start selling off organs to pay for it...540 brushless is out of my league but it sounds like a beast that might need somewhere BIG to play...Why dont we just cut the crap and make it an H16 and put TWO MAMBAS in it...Isnt that all the rage right now? TWO nitro-burning, fume-belching trucks?

...But back to the point at hand...I have actually had steering problems with the 1:10 rims because they get hung up on the ribbing (For her pleasure doncha know ;)) at FULL steering lock...I am tossing up wether to stay 1:10 or go back to stock...

...CAW how are your wheel adaptors going?

Country Alloy Works
05-05-2005, 02:09 PM
BitHed, our hubs are like our RC18T hubs. Pretty wide to push the offset out away from the carriers so they do not rubb. We are just waiting on the 1/2 inch longer axles. CAW.

rstnboy
05-07-2005, 03:16 PM
CAW,

If you are taking suggestions for alloy parts, I have one. I have noticed that the diff output drive cups are plastic and a little on the weak side. On my virgin run, I popped the left rear dogbone out of the cup because the cup cracked 45 seconds into the run. Luckily this was in my driveway so the errant dogbone was easy to find. I managed to patch it back together with some CA but I don't think it will hold up to the abuse of a track. I also put a piece of thick cell foam in each rear wheel axle to push the dogbone deeper into the diff outdrive cup as these seem to be weaker at the opening. I am running a Mamba 6800 w/11 tooth pinon and 11.1 lipo.

BTW, great idea on the relocated diff to allow longer/larger motors. Why Kyosho didn't plan for this is beyond me. I have two of their 1/8 buggies (MP777 and MP7.5) and bought the Half8 based on my experiences with those. The Half8 doesn't quite measure up to its larger brethren but with the help of people like you it can come real close.

paulj2
05-08-2005, 04:01 PM
I have noticed that the diff output drive cups are plastic and a little on the weak side

In support of this suggestion, I didn't notice one of my front diff cups got loose, and under power, stripped the weenie plastic cup. I would be very interested in the alloy cups as well. Of course this would mean I need to make sure they are tight. :o

Crunch
06-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Sorry for bringing this thread back up from the dead folks, just wanted to know if anyone know the hexes/hubs and axles are available from CAW yet? Frank? ;)

Just wanted to know so I'll know to wait or to get the "other" brand's swing shafts.

:p

tornacl90rx7
06-05-2005, 02:53 AM
I was told by the man himself that they will be in-hand by Tuesday of this week .... thats good 'cause I broke another crappy stick wheel .... man they are brittle ....

Crunch
06-05-2005, 02:56 AM
That's awsome to hear!! I'll be holding off till these are available then.

Cheers~~~~

akura2
06-05-2005, 10:30 AM
A couple of things....

1. I have the Trinity adaptors... and while the axle IS short... they DO allow you to crank the nut down on the wheel and they work fine for me.... you can even use the stock wheel nuts and put them on backwards with the nylon first if you want.... I can't wait to see the CAW pieces though... :D

2. And while the idea of having a 540 in a Mini Inferno sounds tasty... Most (if not all) 2/3A cells can't handle the power requirements of that size motor... that's probably why Kyosho didn't "think if it"... they probably DID but realized that it might cause a problem.... even the guys that did the 540 conversion for the HPI micro RS4 (Aktion RC) set the conversion up to be used with sub-C batteries for their amperage output abilities... a 540 motor can melt 2/3A cells. So unless there is a way to mount sub-C 3300s on the Mini-Inferno chassis as well... the 540 conversion might not be the best idea.

akura2
06-05-2005, 10:35 AM
BTW... CAW... if you are looking for suggestions... I think ball diffs would be the most needed item outside of everything you guys are making/planning already

they's be smoother, quieter, and adjustable...

I would even go so far to say...make a slipper elimination spur gear... like the slipper gears... but make them from one piece of metal..like a stepped spur...

and if you do the ball diffs... you can set the slip in the diffs instead of the slipper

now THAT would be cool... and with that setup... you can get more direct power w/o shocking your drivetrain (ball diffs=unshockable)

paulj2
06-05-2005, 02:02 PM
BTW... CAW... if you are looking for suggestions...

Frank at CAW, not only all that Akura said, maybe add to the slipper elimination, to eliminate the center diff.

If we could set ball diffs front and rear, couldn't that also be used for a front and rear traction bias as well, eliminating a center diff need? I welcome comments on the center diff elimination.

I don't claim an engineering degree and don't have huge years of rc experience as some on the board, so no offense taken by comments from the more knowledgable. The reason I would like to eliminate the center diff is extra rotating mass, more to break and it seems to send traction to the diff that isn't necessarily in the cars best interest at the time. However, I could also be full of BS. :D