PDA

View Full Version : Oil Shocks and more...

Smoothound
05-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Having got my oil shocks and built and fitted them is it just me that feels the springs that come with them are on the stiff side?

BitHed
05-04-2005, 04:56 PM
...i thought they felt ok...An improvement for sure...

...But now i have the option springs fitted and they are even sweeter ;) Oh...gee...look at that...one set left ;)

hkopium
05-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Having got my oil shocks and built and fitted them is it just me that feels the springs that come with them are on the stiff side?

The Kyosho hop up shocks? Don;t use the come-with oil. THey are weak.
Buy some Tamiya shocks oil.

I added 50 and 40 oil to the front and rear shocks respectively.

plain_simple
05-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Is that 50 and 40WT????

hkopium
05-04-2005, 05:08 PM
is that 50 and 40WT

I think so. Different brand uses different number.

But always start with same digit.

for example: 300 = 30

The higher the number = thicker = stiffer.

BitHed
05-04-2005, 05:12 PM
...me too..i ran the KYOSHO oil for a while and that was good but i wanted more happy joy so poured the silvery oooze out and replaced with TAMIYA...Not as heavy as Opium though...I think i got 400 in the front and 300 in the back...I think...

hkopium
05-04-2005, 05:17 PM
...me too..i ran the KYOSHO oil for a while and that was good but i wanted more happy joy so poured the silvery oooze out and replaced with TAMIYA...Not as heavy as Opium though...I think i got 400 in the front and 300 in the back...I think...

That's good enough. I found mine too stiff. On cement road, my H8 actually flips when doing fast cornering due to the shocks are too stiff.

But I added some hex tonight to lower the H8 a bit. Should help but no chance to test it yet.

Smoothound
05-04-2005, 06:29 PM
I set my shocks as per someone else here, can't remember who but the oil was 50wt.

Damping feels fine it's just the springs seem too hard.

On my 1/8th buggy I set ride height with the springs and spacers but on the mini if I don't use the adjusters in the A arms the shocks are topping out, let alone use spacers to set the ride height :confused:

Crunch
05-05-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm using 40wt all around and I know for sure it's too light. The car is very springy, but still a HUGE improvement then the stock "suspension"..... :p

I'm going to redo the shocks with 70wt oil and play around with the pistons.

The sound of the chassis smacking the ground after a jump is pretty disturbing. :eek:

Also waiting for the rollbars to be available. Should be a blast!!!

hkopium
05-05-2005, 04:56 AM
I'm using 40wt all around and I know for sure it's too light. The car is very springy, but still a HUGE improvement then the stock "suspension"..... :p

I'm going to redo the shocks with 70wt oil and play around with the pistons.

The sound of the chassis smacking the ground after a jump is pretty disturbing. :eek:

Also waiting for the rollbars to be available. Should be a blast!!!

Yeah, rollbars are definitely good idea. Dunno when they will be released.

Crunch
05-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah, rollbars are definitely good idea. Dunno when they will be released.

I'm guessing very soon.....either from 3Racing or Atomic. :D