PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question: Running in

WAY
02-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi guys, my 09 has been sitting on top of its box for the last few weeks as I have not had the time to run it in. I have briefly gone through the instruction booklets and all I can see is that it recommends 10 tank of fuel to run the engine in. It also said that initially the car should sit on top on a box with the wheels free spinning. Can someone give me a bit more detail as to what I should be doing? Do I sit it on top of a box for 1 tank? All 10 tanks? Do I go half throttle for 1 tank, 5 tank, 10 tank??? I am very confused and I don't want to ruin my new engine! Thanks in advanced!

BiGRoB21
02-24-2007, 03:52 PM
you wana heat cycle the motor. heat the motor up as much as you can before you start it. should get arround 160 with a hairdryer. start the motor and for the 1st tank let it idel on the box. (make shure the temp is arroune the 200-220 range or you will stretch the conrod).
put the puston at bdc (bottom dead center) and let it cool completely down!

heat it back up and idle another half tank threw the motor then put the car on the ground and put arround at 1/8th of the throtal. when out of fuel. let cool down again.

continue this process increasing how much trigger you use for each tank.

after you have run in about 7-8 tanks you can start to tune on the motor.

WAY
03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks BigRob. Those are good advice. I will try to run it in this weekend. Looking forward to it. One more question: Can I run the car with 15% - 30% nitro fuel? Can I use 10%? Thanks.

BiGRoB21
03-05-2007, 01:12 AM
use 30% thats what the motor is shimmed for.

wongy008
03-05-2007, 05:49 AM
really??

ive been using 25%
what will the pros of going up to 30% if any??

Icey.Apple
04-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Sorry for digging up an older post but i found this on the kyosho site for running in the engine:

WEB:
Do you have any advice for owners of the Mini Inferno 09?

Higashino :
The SIRIO engine generates amazing power output that combines perfectly with the high-performance of the chassis so you can push this machine to the limit with confidence. But to realize this, you first need to break-in the engine. Its not difficult. Do not screw in the needle too far and run a rich mixture (not too rich that the engine keeps stopping) through the engine for 2 or 3 tanks. Gradually screw in the needle to increase power output during the next 2 or 3 tanks (screw needle in after each tank) until you have found the peak power output. The design makes needle setting easy so even beginners can hear the engine tone change. There should be nothing else to worry about. Get used to driving an engine powered buggy little by little and practice with your friends so you can share setting techniques. This will produce good results on the day you turn up to race.

Tinytacohead
04-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Wow, can't say I've ever broke an engine in as tediously as you prescribe BigRob, but it definitely sounds like a good method. I'll likely go with the plan Icy posted though. Can't be bad if Higa advised it, lol. If this was a higher $$$ engine that would be competitively raced on a regular basis, I'd probably go with the 10-tank method though.

t9dragon
04-17-2007, 03:22 PM
You really need about 10 tanks to break the motor in.