PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion Charger takes 1hr for 1800 2S lipo?

FMICMATT
02-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Hyperion Charger takes 1hr for 1800 2S lipo?

I tried charging my 1800mah LIPO packs on my Hyperion EOS 5idp (BPP said "Best LIPO Charger") and i have yet to get the END display as seen in the directions.

Nowhere in the directions does it say when the batt is fully charged.

I'm seeing 8.4volts on the screen with a 7.4v batt; but it just keeps charging! I asked for a good easy to use lipo charger i don't have to babysit. This one ran for an hour with two seperate packs and I'm not going to risk an apartment fire/family for a hobby.

Maybe i'm over-reacting...i'm used to old-school ni-cad 15min timer chargers you "set and forget." ~15 years ago.

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED NEWBIE!

-MAtt

morati
02-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Actually 8.4 volts is EXACTLY what you get with a 2-cell lipo. With an 11.1volt 3-cell, you get 12.6volts.
On every
Lipo charger I have used, you will get about 70-80% of a full charge on the first 45 minutes. After this, the charger will begin tapering off the amperage into the packs and it will take up to an hours more time to fully charge up. This is not a problem. If you get a battery bunker (ceramic container like the one BPP sells) and charge your lipo's in it, then you can certainly leave your batts unattended though I never have myself. No problems after 4-5 years of using them......

FMICMATT
02-20-2007, 01:21 AM
So, I can charge until I see 7.4V and it will be good to run?...or will it last for only 2 min?

I wish i would have read about this before i JUMPED into LIPO.

Whats the answer then? Charge the lipos while you sleep and risk the fire for 3 packs/runs a day? Or buy 10ea lipos and chargers?

When people have bash sessions or race days; for a couple hours of run time do they bring 8 lipos??

Thanks, Matt

morati
02-20-2007, 02:35 AM
So, I can charge until I see 7.4V and it will be good to run?...or will it last for only 2 min?

I wish i would have read about this before i JUMPED into LIPO.

Whats the answer then? Charge the lipos while you sleep and risk the fire for 3 packs/runs a day? Or buy 10ea lipos and chargers?

When people have bash sessions or race days; for a couple hours of run time do they bring 8 lipos??

Thanks, MattYou can charge till you see 8.4 volts and have 80% charge in your batts. Remember, lipo's don't have to be peaked or run down to .9volts per cell like NiMH's do as they don't have "cell memory". They are lighter, hold the "strong" part of their charge longer and 2-cells have more voltage (SPEED) than a 6-cell NiMH pack. If you charge unattended, then do like I said and get a "battery bunker" for $20-$30. Cheap insurance. For a race day with 3-qualifiers and a Main I usually bring 3-packs. After the first is done I start charging it right away while I drive using the other two. By the time I drain the second and third packs, the first one is charged and ready for my Main. Voila, simple! Or, you can always go back to the OLD technology and buy NiMH's. In a couple of more years, you'll be able to get them VERY cheap cause no ones gonna use them anymore, LOL!!

FMICMATT
02-23-2007, 05:31 AM
You can charge till you see 8.4 volts and have 80% charge in your batts. Remember, lipo's don't have to be peaked or run down to .9volts per cell like NiMH's do as they don't have "cell memory". They are lighter, hold the "strong" part of their charge longer and 2-cells have more voltage (SPEED) than a 6-cell NiMH pack. If you charge unattended, then do like I said and get a "battery bunker" for $20-$30. Cheap insurance. For a race day with 3-qualifiers and a Main I usually bring 3-packs. After the first is done I start charging it right away while I drive using the other two. By the time I drain the second and third packs, the first one is charged and ready for my Main. Voila, simple! Or, you can always go back to the OLD technology and buy NiMH's. In a couple of more years, you'll be able to get them VERY cheap cause no ones gonna use them anymore, LOL!!

Damn....you are right on target! Thanks Motati for the help. I went to my local race track and ran for about 30min per 1800lipo. I bought 3ea as per your recomendation. Man this MIST is fun. I gotta get a 11T pinion though......the 13T is killer on the streights. I actually caught a seam in the PVC barrier with my wheel and ripped the wheel/spindle right out of the carrier. It was awesome! Time for some alum!

Thanks for puttin' up with my whiny butt.

Thanks, Matt

morati
02-26-2007, 01:56 AM
Damn....you are right on target! Thanks Motati for the help. I went to my local race track and ran for about 30min per 1800lipo. I bought 3ea as per your recomendation. Man this MIST is fun. I gotta get a 11T pinion though......the 13T is killer on the streights. I actually caught a seam in the PVC barrier with my wheel and ripped the wheel/spindle right out of the carrier. It was awesome! Time for some alum!

Thanks for puttin' up with my whiny butt.

Thanks, MattNo problem! I am still learning stuff myself every day.