PDA

View Full Version : Center Diff problems

gazzer55
01-15-2007, 02:45 AM
I recently installed some 09 diffs as well as the wriath and quark motor combo. After running for a while I got a huge stripping gear sound and am assuming the center diffs the problem. How would I go about locking the center diff? Would the 09 front and rear diffs be okay if the center was locked?

gazzer55
01-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Does anyone know how I can lock my center stock diff???

pllbz
01-16-2007, 11:45 PM
the expensive way is to get a KMRC race upgrade as it includes a new center spur that directly drives off the motor................. the cheap way is to get the 3racing delrin gear set off ebay the 2 gears in the center gear box are moled together so it dissables your slipper making it lock your center.

gazzer55
01-17-2007, 04:21 AM
I alrerady have my slipper as tight as it can go but it seems the center diff is slipping. Is there any way I can take my center diff apart and lock it up inside so it rotates the wheels without making it slip?

Stickyfingers
01-17-2007, 08:05 AM
As pallballs says, just get the 3Racing blue delrin kit! I got one and had no probs.

It even comes with different ratios. Job done.

rgcwr
01-17-2007, 11:41 AM
If you need to lock your center diff you can glue it with JBWeld. This can not be undone.

gazzer55
01-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Would any kind of super glue work or do I specifically need JB Weld? also what is the proper way to do this without messing it up? Do I just put glue on the little gears inside the center diff and then some on the pinions going inside the diff and hold them together to make sure they stick?

rgcwr
01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
There probably are other glues you could use but JB weld might be the cleanest. Gorilla glue is another. Superglue will not hold - too brittle. Gorilla glue will get messy as it expands/foams a little when applied. Most all hardware stores will sell JB weld. JB weld is a top part epoxy that you mix and then can apply with a toothpick. Dries solid like a rock/metal. You can file away any excess that may get in the way etc.

Just put the JB weld on all the gears in the diff and two halves. Do a little at first and then go back in and fill in more so you do not make a mess.

If you end up gluing your diff you can not undo it. You will need to purchase a new one.

Hope this helps,

FHM101
01-19-2007, 05:29 PM
When we first started racing the MI around here several racers tried locking their center diffs and every one of them wound up blowing front and rear diffs on a regular basis. The one piece slipper gear sets have also proved to not be up to the task on the MIST. What works best at my local track for a slipper is the stock unit with either a rubber washer from the hardware store for the MIST or the atomic hard slipper pads for the buggy, in place of the stock steel slipper plate. Most of the MIST racers are using a MIP center diff and it seems to be holding up pretty good.

pllbz
01-20-2007, 02:19 AM
going back your problem gazzer you say that you have your slipper as tight as it goes so maybe the problem isn't your center but possibly your front or rear diff thats stripped. the ring and pinions in the diff are notorious for stripping

gazzer55
01-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Ya thats what im afraid of. Im going to take my diffs out and check them but they should be fine i'm hoping since they are the 09 metal diffs and I havent didn't run them hard at all before something stripped. I'm thinking that its my stock center diff thats the problem since I havent replaced it yet.