PDA

View Full Version : What Fuel?

RC_KAOS
12-15-2006, 11:15 AM
What fuel do you use in your Inferno 09 GP?

Cheers

t9dragon
12-15-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm using Traxxas 33%.

BiGRoB21
12-15-2006, 06:40 PM
i would thinkany 20% car fuel would be best suited for the 09. you can run 30% but the head will probley need to be reshimmed

RC_KAOS
12-15-2006, 07:45 PM
I was looking at running 25%

Cheers

46u
12-24-2006, 11:47 PM
One of the biggest thinks to keep in mind when buying fuel is oil content!!!!!!!! I know this from years of experience and this is why. Not only brand but blend has a lot to do with it!

Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration.

If you tried Traxxas try something else with less oil and then see the difference! I go through about 1 ½ to 2 gallons a month when racing.

WAY
12-29-2006, 05:37 PM
RC Kaos, have you bought your Mini Inferno 09? I am in Melbourne and am also interested in buying one. Can I ask where you bought it from? Thanks.

Tinytacohead
03-15-2007, 10:07 AM
So the verdict here is that Traxxas 20/33% are both highly recomended for the little Sirio? As my sig shows, I'm a Traxxas man and, I've been wondering if their fuel would be good for both my nitros. Due to lack of cash I'll likely stick to 20% in the Rustler and 33% in the Mini. :p

46u
03-15-2007, 02:50 PM
If you want to run a high oil content fuel that is what you will get from Traxxas and I will never run it in any on my many nitro engines. Here is some good reading.
http://www.rchobbies.org/understanding_fuel.htm

http://www.racewayatv.com/rc-car/rc-car-blog/2006/08/all-about-your-nitro-rc-car-fuel.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1385

Tinytacohead
03-15-2007, 05:44 PM
If you want to run a high oil content fuel that is what you will get from Traxxas...

So you're saying Traxxas fuel is bad news?

Lau
03-15-2007, 06:02 PM
i run 20% but ive heard alot around the web that 33% from traxxas or any 30% fuel helps the engine run better. i think someone said that they had their engine blown from using 20% but mines not had that happen yet

t9dragon
03-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, let me put it this away. I have used the Traxxas 33% to breakin the following motors without any problems: Revo 2.5, Jato 2.5, 09ST Sirio .09, Chaos, GS .25, Hyper .21 8-port, Axial .28 and a XTM .28. All the motors ran great and never any problems. That is the most common fuel at all of the LHS in my area.

Tinytacohead
04-17-2007, 08:34 AM
I know I've never heard ANYBODY but 46 dog on Traxxas fuel.. anybody else got any input, or any response 46u?? To me it sounds like one of those cases where theory doesn't necessarily hold up against real-world results.

46u
04-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Go to a sanction RC race and as the Pro’s! I know from experience what high oil content fuels will do! It is your engine do as you will I sure know what I run in mine in the Georgia Championship Series and other sanction races. No I do not have the 09 but race 3 other nitro vehicles. :eek:

Tinytacohead
04-17-2007, 01:48 PM
So what do you run? I don't think I've seen that mentioned yet..

46u
04-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Anything that has 12% oil content or less and is a reputable brand. Right now I am running Sidewinder 30% nitro with 11% oil Worlds blend. I will not run Sidewinder Basher blend as it has too much oil in my opinion.

If you put fuel in my buggy with out telling me the oil content it will not take long what so ever before I will be able to tell if it is high oil content. They have not listed the last race but in the Georgia Championship series I am about 8th or 9th in the points in my class. I am 53 and all most legally blind so I am happy where I am right now. All so my first year of running other then club races.

Tinytacohead
04-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Sounds good to me, though as I mentioned to somebody else today, almost anywhing written well enough can, haha. Never had a problem with Traxxas fuel and they can't be making bad stuff, but I'll probably buy a quart of Sidewinder and give it a try. Wish it came in metal containers though. (or maybe it does and Tower just has an old picture up..)

46u
04-17-2007, 11:39 PM
If you know how to tune properly and you try a good fuel you will see a BIG difference over Traxxas. Did you read the links I posted? I know from experience it is true! Main thing is to keep the oil content 12% or less. No Sidewinder does not come in cans but I have keep gallons in plastic bottles for a year or longer if you store it properly. I go through 2 to 3 gallons a month.

Tinytacohead
04-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah, the links were a good read, thanks. I don't go through near that much fuel these days, but I'm just going to stick to quart bottles for now. If I get the Rustler up & running it should help depleat them before it can go bad, haha. I have to admit, I started into nitro about 14 years ago and with 10% TowerPower, (which I'm sure I ran alot of after it went stale), so the step from that to Top Fuel obviously was a good one to me. :p Can't say I've ever had life-span problems with engines though, even back when I was a n00b & had no idea what I was doing. (on cheap/bad fuel and tuning by site & sound alone, and the good ole spit trick, lol)

t9dragon
04-18-2007, 03:52 AM
The thing with nitro fuel for me is what is the brand most of the LHS carry. :D

Tinytacohead
04-18-2007, 03:55 AM
My LHS carries who knows what & not much of it, lol. Tower has Sidewinder in quarts though so I figure I might as well give it a go. Don't think I've ever bought fuel I didn't have to order. That's rural WV though. :o :p