PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Pinions...Help

Crusher
12-11-2006, 04:57 PM
I was racing my ST for the first time this weekend. I have a Mamba controller and an Aon motor (insanely fast). However with the metal robinson mini pinions, I kept stripping out my little blue gear reducer slipper gear things.
I put a push-on plastic pinion on and ran without any stripping at all. Heck, I ended up 2nd in the state....with a plastic pinion.
Any ideas of what's going on here and why?

Matthew

wartown
12-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Plastic on Plastic or Metal on Metal. They do not mix well. Or it could be just be the gear mesh. By the way.....what state did you finish second in??

Andy Moore
12-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Florida.

;)

Crusher
12-12-2006, 01:55 AM
Yeah behind him :rolleyes:

So if I'm running delrin in the tranny, I should run plastic on the pinion?

That's what it looked like. The steel was just eating up the delrin. I found some delrin pinions on ebay. Anybody think those might be good?

What out Andy, that was my first race. I'm chasing you down. Just don't get an Aon. :eek:

Matthew

Crusher
12-12-2006, 01:59 AM
Actually, a buddy had a theory. I'm running the original plastic motor mount. He thinks that the mount is flexing, causing a bad mesh. And with the metal pinion traveling at 50,000 rpm, a little bad mesh is a stripped spur.
He suggests a metal motor mount. I plan on ordering that asap.
Anybody think that could be it???

Matthew

Andy Moore
12-12-2006, 02:51 AM
Actually, a buddy had a theory. I'm running the original plastic motor mount. He thinks that the mount is flexing, causing a bad mesh. And with the metal pinion traveling at 50,000 rpm, a little bad mesh is a stripped spur.
He suggests a metal motor mount. I plan on ordering that asap.
Anybody think that could be it???

Matthew

That might be part of it, but the mount seems fairly well secured to the chassis, plastic or not. Something I noticed, even with the gear cover....a few pieces of dirt got onto the spur and made indentions, so if you werent running the cover, you might just be seeing the results of that paired with a banzai motor, haha.