PDA

View Full Version : GPM, Steel Gear Diff

erik_dedobbeleer
11-11-2006, 09:10 AM
All advise wellcome!
I bought GPM's steel gear diff for my RWD half 8 project but it is acting up terrible.
Out of the gearbox it all works pretty smooth but when it sits in the gearbox it starts acting strange.

1st issue:
Spinning both wheels forward it feels gritty, as if a load of sand ended up inside. I guess it's the poor finish of the main gears backside struggling with the little nod on the gearbox inside.
maybe flaatening it up will help, but Steel is hard to work on...

2nd issue:
Holding the central outdrive and spinning one wheel by hand, the diff acts smooth ( in both directions).
But if I do the same on the other wheel it feels as if the diff gears are all messed up.

I already tried putting the small washer that comes with the original plastic buggy diff, but this puts too much space between the bevel gears.
When I put the washer, spinning the wheel on the troublesome side makes the bevel gear on this side push the satelite gears to the other side. When that happens it simply doesn't mesh anymore.

3rd issue:
the satelite gears sometimes seem to catch on the edges of the main gears: the hole they fit in seems just a bit to small when the satelite gears are not exactly where they belong.
(As happens due to issue 2)

Did anyone else buy these gears?
How are they for you? Did you see the same problems or do you have a solution?