PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Type 2 Diffs

Q8y_drifter
10-15-2006, 05:51 PM
so whats the verdict on the new diffs from Atomic?
are they worth getting? any issues?

fav0re
10-15-2006, 07:29 PM
I would post my personal review of this item here but the link to the thread below has many questions answered by other members too! I hope it helps you out in your decision.

The H8 in that thread is for sale. The only thing not updated is that it has the full ST suspension giving me a total of 3 inches of width on each side. No more roll overs and it's very consistent on carpet.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=129840

Q8y_drifter
10-15-2006, 08:02 PM
thanks for the link!
i'm going to order the F/C/R soon!

H8er
10-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Ah, thank you for the link! I've been trying to find something like that!

sensoryoverload
10-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Just wondering how you set up the diffs from front to back?? SO

H8er
10-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Do you mean grease weight? Or what? The diffs are same front and rear, should be set pretty tight.

Stickyfingers
10-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Can anyone tell me whether the Atomic diffs are any stronger than the (more expensive) MIP ones?

I will eventually be going 3S B/L on my H8 and I want to buy the best diffs available as the stock ones I have have stripped (again).

I just want to solve this diff issue once and for all!

sensoryoverload
10-31-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm running the adjustable Atomic 2 diffs on a Wraith/TP 11.1v saddle pack setup with no problems. Don't forget to get the metal cups for the two pinion gear inputs as the plastic cups will be twisted to hell in no time. Just be aware that if your going to use the Atomic center diff (black one) it will require 2-8x12mm bearings that aren't included. SO

Stickyfingers
10-31-2006, 12:53 PM
OK, so you feel the Atomics will be fine. I will be replacing all 3 diffs so I hear you on the bearings, as well as the 2 input cups.

Do the Atomic F/R diffs come with the imput pinion gears too? The pics I find dont show them....

Any other opinions?

Thanks

PS Just ordered my AON4900/Mamba combo too. Woo-hoo!

sensoryoverload
11-02-2006, 03:06 AM
No gear (other than on the diff) comes with the Atomic 2 diffs. They do however come with the ball bearings. I've been using the stock gear with the 3Racing cups, again with no problems. I did fine the 3Racing dogbones a bit short/loose for my liking (between the diffs) but used some extra foam inserts from an Associated kit to correctly position the bones. There is an Atomic center diff that comes with the 8x12 bearings, check out Atomic/RcMart/Dinball's website. SO

Stickyfingers
11-04-2006, 07:16 AM
So let me get tis right- all those super-duper diffs out there with fancy-looking anodised bits still use the stock rubbish black plastic pinions????!

I was looking for full metal diffs really- and to me that would include the input pinion!

erik_dedobbeleer
11-11-2006, 09:07 AM
So let me get tis right- all those super-duper diffs out there with fancy-looking anodised bits still use the stock rubbish black plastic pinions????!

I was looking for full metal diffs really- and to me that would include the input pinion!
Well you could get GPM's steel gear diff,
It's working real bad for me, but it includes a steel input pinion and the dimensions, including tooth size are the same.
So get that kit and throw the acual diff down the bin...

I'm waiting for the 09 diffs to be available...
erik

Stickyfingers
01-09-2007, 02:24 AM
I finally received my Atomic type 2 diffs and can confirm that they do not come with input pinions. So, I will have to resort to using the stock pinions for the moment. I'm really not happy about this because if the stock pinions flake out then it may well take out the (expensive) atomic diffs with them. I know I could try using the metal GPM pinion as suggested by Erik but I really dont understand why I should have to do this. It seems crazy that Atomic do not include a Delrin pinion with the diffs.

Oh, and I can confirm that 3Racing diffs are in no way up to the job of handling a 3S BL setup. I stripped the pinion on mine before I finished the first pack. What a waste of money that was. I still have a brand new one that I bought as a spare but theres no way I'm going to bother fitting it.

Stickyfingers
01-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Anyone used/bought these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/kyosho-mini-inferno-set-of-2-full-meal-diff-gear-set_W0QQitemZ140072101905QQihZ004QQcategoryZ34063Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FHM101
01-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Anyone used/bought these?

I've got a set on the bench right now I got from that ebay seller and it was a very smooth, quick transaction, and the price is right.

On the GPM metal buggy diffs. I got a couple sets of them when they first hit and they are without doubt the stoutest set of MI gears I've seen, but it's almost as if GPM is selling raw castings as they would need plenty of hand fitting to work at all. That said, if you were willing to put in the time to fit them, I don't think you could blow them up.