PDA

View Full Version : Need help tightening drivetrain... Power not getting to the wheels so well.

H8er
10-11-2006, 12:17 AM
So I just got my IB1400 pack. First off, let me say that it is amazing. CBP did a great job. But, when I gun it, it makes a high-pitched whining noise. When I ease (and I mean EASE) in to the throttle, it does a little better. So what is wrong? The slipper is fully tightened, the pinion isn't loose... what is it?

BTW-- Does someone have a pic of an H8 with an IB1400 pack? I want to see the best layout.

wartown
10-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Have you checked your diff's?

H8er
10-11-2006, 08:52 PM
No, but I will now that you mention it.

mOOsE
10-11-2006, 10:00 PM
then next thing to do is pull the gear cover off, hold the gears (to prevent them from moving) and try to roll the half8 accross the ground. The slipper is a very poor design and mine slipped like your describing even when tightened all the way

H8er
10-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Well, it's not that. If I take the diff out and hold it upside down, the one half falls off, but if I hold it vertically the other way, that half doesn't fall off. Make sense? Basically, the two halfs of the diff won't stay together, and it "comes apart" a little while driving. I guess I need to either lock it or get Atomics.

Do Atomic Type II's need to be built?

bermbuster
10-12-2006, 12:19 AM
The slipper is a very poor design and mine slipped like your describing even when tightened all the way
put a rubber washer in place of the steel washer in the slipper....that was a factory kyosho trick i learned at the ECC last year. the rubber creates friction but will slip under pressure. The washer is from home depot plumbing dept. roughly the same size as the metal washer.....

H8er
10-12-2006, 01:32 AM
And about my problem?...

bermbuster
10-12-2006, 03:25 AM
get mist gear diffs and fill them with grease......

H8er
10-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Nah, if I got new diffs I'd get MIP's.

wartown
10-13-2006, 12:11 AM
You can buy one piece gears. they will do the trick!

H8er
10-13-2006, 01:15 AM
What, so that will help the diffs stay together? Can I get them on this site?

ph2t
10-13-2006, 04:15 AM
So I just got my IB1400 pack. First off, let me say that it is amazing. CBP did a great job. But, when I gun it, it makes a high-pitched whining noise. When I ease (and I mean EASE) in to the throttle, it does a little better. So what is wrong? The slipper is fully tightened, the pinion isn't loose... what is it?

BTW-- Does someone have a pic of an H8 with an IB1400 pack? I want to see the best layout.

Sounds like your pinion/slipper gear mesh is too tight..... There shoudl always be a littlt bit of "give" between in the mesh of the two gears. Not enough to strip them and not too much to cause the sound you're hearing.

Also, this problem sounds louder as you increase throttle. hence why i think that is your problem.

H8er
10-13-2006, 09:05 PM
And how do I remedy this?

BTW did you read the rest of the thread? The diffs don't stay together too well.

EDIT: I just got the mesh perfected and took it out for a spin. It definitely wasn't the mesh that was the problem. But I can ease into the throttle or give it WOT, it doesn't make any difference. I still accelerate at the same pace. And I have the slipper tightened all the way. What is going on? I think it's the diffs... But gotty no money for new ones. Argh.