PDA

View Full Version : MiniAC 1215/12 and Mega 16/7/4 !

NIC
04-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Hi all !

Iīm a newbie to theese forums but I have had some experiense with lots of different cars during 15 years of this GREAT hobby !

I have introduced myself in the "Introductions" thread.

I just want to share my experiences with the above mentioned motors.

The Mini AC work REALLY well and itīs a direct bolt in, no modifications needed. The standard pinion will fit (2,3mm axle). The torque is really good and the "heat" build up is really low due to the built-in heatsink design of the motor and all the ventilation holes. It runs really cool and also cools down really fast after a run. The motor has external soldering posts for the wires wich is a really great feature I think. I have tested it on both 8 and 10 cells and it works very well on both. It also has a really great sound at around 50 000 rpms. This motor will be my first weapon of choise this summer.

The Mega 16/7/4 (4420 Kv) is a BEAST, incredible torque and REALLY cool operation. 6-pole design. 3,17 mm shaft. Throw ANY sized pinion and it will accelerate like CRAZY !
I started with 21T and ended up with 27T wich was even connected to the smaller "slipper" gear ! Awesome speed and even then incredible acceleration ! This motor also run even cooler then the Mini AC. Tempeture of the motor after a 10 cell GP1100 pack and monstergearing was between 50-55 celcius.

Due to itīs design with 6-poles most controllers cannot turn this motor at a high rpm. The U-Force 75 wich I used can "only" turn a 6-pole at 42000 rpms.
It goes like this; A 2-pole motor (Hacker, Lehner, Mamba for example) at 126 000 maximum, a 4-pole at half that, 63000 and a 6-pole at therefore 42000 rpms (divide 126 000 by 3), and a 14 pole at 18000 rpms.

I drove the car using both 8 and 10 cells. 10 cells is overkill (12*4420=53040 rpms) because the motor will reach maximum rpm with just 8 cells. If you hold the car up and punch the throttle you will not hear a differens between a 8 cell and a 10 cell pack. But because of the voltagedrop of the cells at this high gearing the car was abit faster with 10 cells.

Two great motors overall, but I like the Mini AC better still because of the usage of the standard pinions. The car with standard 48P Yokomo pinions doesnīt mesh up perfectly and therefore is noiser. But for speed the Mega is hard to beat. The Mega ranges from a 16/7/3 with 5580 kv to a 16/7/17 with 1040 kv.

NIC

Trax
04-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Sounds like a pretty impressive set up. I should be getting my half eight pretty soon and have a lehner 1015/12 ready to go once it arrives. I am not sure which pinion pitch to use though. It has a 1/8 inch shaft so I cannot use the stock pinion. I have heard both 48p metric to 48p standard. It sounds like you have replaced yours, what pitch did you use? I also noticed in your introductions that you are running universals all the way around? Which universals are you useing?

paulj2
04-24-2005, 02:54 PM
NIC,

I have been looking for the two motors you mentioned and can not find them. Could you post a source? Also, pictures of your modifications would be extremely helpful.

Thank you, Paul

NIC
04-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi Trax,

I used the same pinions I use for my Yokomo CGM. They were the only ones that fitted "rather" well. The set-screw must be cloose to the teeth of the pinion or else it will not fit. Basically the pinion must be short. But the teeth are thicker then the original pinion and therefore donīt mesh up perfectly. You can run the car but it will be noisy.

Hi Paul;

Here is the MiniAC motor:

http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?id=en&nc=produkty_vypis&kategorie=m_neodym_ac&id_rady=mini_ac&id_produktu=mini_ac1215_12&nazev_rady=Series%20MINI%20AC&hmotnost_rady=(48%20g)

Or simply:

http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?id=en&nc=domu (modelmotors.cz/index.php?id=en&nc=domu)

But I don`t know were you can get them the easiest. I got them from a hobbyshop here in sweden.

I have just send some pics with description to BitHed. Maybe he will somehow post the pics here later.

NIC

lukeita
04-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Hello NIC
Which brushless controller are you using? Mamba 25?
thanks

jatetu
04-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Hi NIC, it sounds really good.

So, have you tested for long time the miniAC and always got low temps?

This could be a good solution for the heat mamba issue.

cheers

half8 abuser
04-24-2005, 09:32 PM
I wonder how good the MiniAC would work on 6 cell.

TNB
04-24-2005, 11:11 PM
But I don`t know were you can get them the easiest. I got them from a hobbyshop here in sweden.
One of the LHS which cater to airplanes sells those here too. I have the Mini AC1215/16 sitting here lying around but have yet to run it in a car. Have you tried that one too? I thought about dropping it in my Xray while my second CM2080 is getting repaired (which I have yet to return to Castle). Thanks.

NIC
04-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi,

Iīm using my "old" 1/10 scale esc, the Schulze U-Force 75. Itīs a really big and heavy unit compared to the Mamba. Itīs meant for 10th scale cars. Good thing about it is that it can handle both brushed and brushless and has ALOT of settings. I have driven the standard motor with it, works like the best top of the line brushed esc:s.
Itīs overkill but I usually build my cars like that.

I desided on the 1215/12 because it had all of the features and specs I wanted from a motor. And itīs a perfect fit for the track Iīm planing on running it on. I might even drop the pinion down to 12T with 8 cells.
I have run it about 10 packs and the temps stay consistently low.
The Mamba should handle this motor very well I think.

It felt naturally that I tested the car with the esc I had allready instead of buing a new esc directly. I only had the big U-Force, that fitted reasonably well.
But it is fitted on the top plate where the original esc/receiver combo was. I donīt like that placement because of the raised CG but it was the only place where it fit. Better to just have a small receiver on that top plate.

half8 abuser,
I can solder a 6 cell GP pack and test the motor out if you want to know. Itīs no problem, itīs soldered the same way as a 8 cells pack except for 2 cells wich I can add later.
I actually remember thinking the first time I tried the Mini AC on 8 cells; -hey, this motor could work well with just 6 cells, because it was a big step from the standard motor on even 10 cells (yes, I tested the standard on 10 cells)! It didnīt smell good :) .....

TNB,
I havenīt tried the 1215/16. But that motor canīt handle as much amps as the 1215/12 and has less ability to dicipate the heat due to its carbon case without coolingfins.
It is rated for 8 cells and it will be abit slow on that cell count. But it will work pretty well for a really tight track with 8 cells and a 12T pinion.

NIC

lukeita
04-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Hello
found the motor on Hobby Lobby:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/model_motors.htm

bye

Smoothound
04-25-2005, 04:04 PM
I guess the 1215/12 isn't really an option for those running 3s Lipos as it's designed for 6-8 cells :(

TNB
04-25-2005, 04:09 PM
TNB,
I havenīt tried the 1215/16. But that motor canīt handle as much amps as the 1215/12 and has less ability to dicipate the heat due to its carbon case without coolingfins.
It is rated for 8 cells and it will be abit slow on that cell count. But it will work pretty well for a really tight track with 8 cells and a 12T pinion.
NIC
Thanks. I can't really open up the Xray M18 on one of the local tracks with a 3 cell LiPo using the 8000kv motor, so I was actually thinking about getting a 2 cell LiPo anyway. Perhaps, I'll run the Mini motor while the other 8000 is away at Castle if I ever ship it out.

NIC
04-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Smoothound,

The 1215/12 shouldnīt have ANY problem handling 3S. I have driven mine on 10 cells (similar voltage) without any problem at all. I can actually recommend driving with 10 cells or 3S.

NIC

Smoothound
04-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Cool. I was just taking that from the specs on the motor :D

Good job as I've just invested in one ;)

BitHed
04-26-2005, 11:50 AM
...Smooty you just grabbed one of these motors? Aw man...I am stuck with my ratty Xspeed...lol...uumm...'Everyone come and buy something !!! QUICK!!

...OK...to start laying down some of the pics nic has sent me for yall...

Smoothound
04-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Won't be trying it just yet as I was testing heat with the new fan and the Mamba motor out in the road and I cartwheeled at about 35mph and have now written of the front shock tower :mad: :(

BitHed
04-26-2005, 01:58 PM
...Smoothound grab a front / rear set from KYOsHO from me or bite the bullet and get a CAW alloy set off the bay...

Smoothound
04-26-2005, 02:08 PM
I was intending to get a CAW set but when he gets the motor mounts finished as well ;)

I'd need to get more than the shock towers from you to make it worthwhile because of the distance. You asking me to spend more money :D

TNB
04-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Won't be trying it just yet as I was testing heat with the new fan and the Mamba motor out in the road and I cartwheeled at about 35mph and have now written of the front shock tower :mad: :(
Now you know why I made one from carbon fiber first hand.

Smoothound
04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Now you know why I made one from carbon fiber first hand.

I'm currently looking into producing something in CF ;)