PDA

View Full Version : Battery Charger Question

boxcleverrob
09-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi All,
I'm new to the Mini Inferno scence and am hoping for some sound advice. :confused:

I'll be ordering my MI soon accompanied with some Kyosho 9.6v 1100 Ni-MH saddle batteries.
Q1. Are these batteries the right choice? One pack comes with the circuit protector, which I've heard is a "must have".
Q2. I still need a charger. I want something that will work from the mains as well as a car battery (and hopefully quite cheap since I'm a bit strapped for cash). Any suggestions or chargers that I should go for or even ones I should avoid?

Cheers, :D

Rob

boxcleverrob
09-07-2006, 06:36 PM
All,
Further to my previous mail (what - no replies from anyone!?) - I've got my MI - I ended up buying a ProPeak Prodigy II charger. Next stop - a car battery! Anyone had any good/bad experience with the Prodigy II (now that it's too late to be of any help!)?? ;)
Cheers,
Rob

Jinxt
09-07-2006, 08:35 PM
I use a pro peak prodigy II linked to a pro peak 13.8V power supply, have never had a problem with it and use it to charge everything: 7.2V packs for E-maxx ( nicad and ni-mi); ni-mi for Nightranger II; all batts for tx and rx's; all packs for the micro's and 7Ah lead acid batts for glow starts etc. Only thing I have'nt used it for is lipo cos I have'nt got any.
Nice little charger, easy to use and understand.

boxcleverrob
09-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Jinxt,
Thanks for the reply. It's starting to click for me now. Your ProPeak 13.8v power supply is fed directly from the mains (i.e. AC). So I could buy an AC power supply to feed the charger when in the house and, for example, a 12v car battery for DC charging when I'm out racing. OK, cool. I picked up the Prodigy II this morning from the local post office (the guy was such a spanner) and it does looks pretty straightforward. Roll on the weekend! :)

Jinxt
09-08-2006, 10:21 PM
That's right, the 13.8V psu is mains (ac) fed.

boxcleverrob
09-09-2006, 02:46 PM
All/Jinxt,
I'm finally up and running! The Prodigy II is indeed a piece of cake to use. Hooked my new slave car battery to an AC car battery charger piggy backed the Prodigy to the car battery at the same time (to steal the AC charge since I couldn't wait for the car battery to charge up! :D ). 2 comments:
1) The charger is great. REALLY great. Could have done with bigger croc clips, but who's complaining.
2) I'm really suprised (in a good way) at the responsiveness and speed of the MI :eek: . I was hoping it would be this good, but didn't think it would exceed expectations. Reminds me of my youth in the early 90's when I owned a Kyosho Laser (which at the time simply blew the competition out of the water). I may well be hooked on the RC bug once again (hurrah!). The only thing that I've found so far that I'm not raving about is the responsiveness to the reverse throttle. Seems to take a few seconds to kick in. Is this normal? I guess an upgraded ECU would remedy this?
Rob

Jinxt
09-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I think the delay is normal to stop the gears being stripped, all my stuff has the same delay so I just accepted it as the norm.