PDA

View Full Version : Aon 4900 vs. Wraith 7K

H8er
08-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Which is better for dirt track racing? I've heard only awesome things about both, and I'm dead-set on the Quark 33A Pro-Car ESC, so what would be best for dirt track racing, and half-throttle cruising down the street (mostly racing, though)?

BiGRoB21
08-20-2006, 11:39 PM
i have both motors and if you are looking to run 8 cells nimh or a 2 cell lipo get the wrath. but if you are going with the 3 cell run the aon4900. i am running a 3 cell and won 4900 in my mini inferno

H8er
08-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Oh yeah, I plan on running 2-cell Li-Po. I guess you voted for the Aon?

BiGRoB21
08-21-2006, 01:53 AM
Oh yeah, I plan on running 2-cell Li-Po. I guess you voted for the Aon?

nope i didnt vote. but if you are going for 2cell lipo get the wrath.

sensoryoverload
08-21-2006, 04:29 AM
Hands down (for me anyways) the wraith 7k w/Quark 33. The power and torque are unreal and unmatched! :eek: :) Throw your 3s pack's in and watch it fly! SO

pimpsmurf
08-24-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm still waiting for a wraith/quark combo. I use a 13-16 tooth pinion on the Aon, and I believe I'll try a 10-12 on the wraith with my 3 cell lipo.

I'm betting the Aon will have a little more top at 150F (16 tooth), and the Wraith will have a little more torque at 150F. Troy@b-p-p.com hadn't done his GPS speed checks because of a hardware problem last I checked, but SWEARS the wraith has more torque and top speed than the Aon (11t wraith vs. 16 tooth aon.) I think he said 50-60mpg topspeed, but it's been months since we spoke. On dirt, are you going to be able to handle a 50mph buggy? seriously? What kind of track are you on? I'm on a 1:8 scale track and I use a 13-14 depending on track conditions with my Aon/3Cell/Mamba. The Quark is definately sweet, but think long and hard about the motor. Getting the fastest is definately not always going to be the fastest on the track. Not to mention the runtimes on the Wraith are going to be much less than the Aon.

Just a bet. Unless you have a radar (and know how to properly use one) then it is easy to mistake torque and accelleration for top speed. Some people will say, "I have both and X is faster!", but they could be mistaken.

Neither are very expensive, and getting both is probably a good plan! =)

I didn't vote either. Voting is for sissies. I'm usually the candidate :D

-JNY

H8er
08-25-2006, 12:59 AM
My Email convo with troy:

(Read from the bottom message up!)

Well, you've just sold me! Thanks a lot Troy!

On 8/24/06, Bishop Power Products <info@b-p-p.com> wrote:

Hello William, the Wraith would be the way to go then due to the higher speeds and power levels that it can provide for large tracks and especially for bashing. You will love the power band on the motor J We have a motor supplier contracted out that makes the Wraiths only for us to our specification so we are the only ones that carry it. Hope this helps and thanks again

-Troy

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 1:52 PM
To: Bishop Power Products
Subject: Re: Need some help with motor choice!

Oh, I forgot to mention, I will also be doing a lot of bashing (not really bashing) when I'm not racing. And the track that I'm racing at, I believe, is made for 1/10 trucks and 1/8th buggies, and I definitely want something that'll keep up with the buggies twice my size. It's not necessary, since there is a mini class, but it would be great. Would you still reccomend the Wraith for this? Also, do you know about the manufacturer of the Wraith? For some reason I'm under the impression that BPP makes it? Thanks for all your help and quick response!

On 8/22/06, Bishop Power Products <info@b-p-p.com> wrote:

Hello Miles, the Quark will be the best for racing for sure, its throttle response and power is super smooth, perfect for racing. As for motors, this depends greatly on the track you will be racing on. If it's a small track then go with the AON 4900. If it's a large track or you want as much power as possible, then go with the Wraith7k. Use an 11-12t pinion for the Wraith, and a 13t pinion for the AON. Either motor will work excellent with the packs you listed below, with the Wraith having about 40% more top speed and still retaining amazing torque. Hope this helps and thanks again

-Troy

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 3:17 PM
To: info@b-p-p.com
Subject: Need some help with motor choice!

Hello! I have had my Kyosho Mini Inferno for about a week now. I have been searching various internet message boards trying to figure out what motor and ESC combo to get for my KMI, and I have heard only good things about you, so I decided that I would contact you with my question. In October, my local Hobbytow will be running a dirt track race series for 1/18 scale buggies and tracks, and I'm really looking forward to joining, however, I need a good motor and ESC combo to compete. Can you reccomend a combo? I will either be going with an 8-cell Ni-Mh pack or a 7.4V Li-Po pack, depending on restricitions (most likely Li-Po). I've heard good things about the Wraith 7K, and Aon 4900, but I figure you'd know best. Oh, and I'm pretty much set on the Quark 33A Pro-Car ESC, unless you have had better experiences with other ESC's. Thanks a lot!

--
-Miles

--
-Miles

--
-Miles

Hope that helped some people.

fav0re
08-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Troy is a really honest and knowledgable person. He helps out in making the right decision without pressuring you to just buy his products. His attitude comes off in this order: racer, tech, then customer rep.

I went with the 33A, Wraith, Litestorm 1800/2s/7.4v for racing and the Litestorm 1800/3s/11.1v for speed runs/bashing. I am very happy with the results and can tune down on my Helios if needed. At least I have all the tools I need versus continuing to upgrade all the time. Hope that helps some people out.

jaejw1
09-03-2006, 07:44 PM
what would be good for 6cell nimh.. 7.2v..

jaejw1
09-18-2006, 12:46 AM
wraith 7k.. holy moly.. i love this motor,, 12/49 is the gearing,,
yokomo
20mm wheels with crime fighter tires,, street asphalt,, default
settings on
esc,, duratrax vendetta

8000k mamba,,, pros- fast very fast,, down the back straight at my
local
track,, it would pop wheelies,, on the street it wouldnt.. 12/49 is
the
highest gearing i could reach.. to have lots of user power and speed..
cons- hot,, very very hot after use.. so hot that the bright green can
is
now olive green,, and only after a short use. the motor stopped
working...
and might have sent a bad signal to the esc because it stopped working
as
well..

7k wraith,, pros- fast.. usable fast,, tons of power.. and will do a
rolling wheelie on asphalt with no problems.. it even did a wheelie on
a
slick surface (the driveway is coated with some sort of concrete
paint),,
very cool to touch (you know exactly what i mean,, not extremely hot)
along
with esc.. from the temps after a complete run i could probably step up
to a
lower final drive for more top end, which i dont think i need..
cons- might wheelie continuosly while on the track do to traction ,,
will
bald tires on asphalt,, might easily over shoot a lot of the 10th scale
jumps...

i actually can not wait to get to the track to try this out...
hopefully
there will be a new layout and i will be able to try out some new jumps
i
hope something bi and nasty just to impress myself...

basically if you want speed and you dont want to destroy your mamba
motor then give the 7k a try,, it is a 400 size can and offers the
same
user power as a 400 motor,, unlike the the much smaller mamba ,,

what is the final drive gearing for those using the wraith in the inferno.. im curious to see what i can get away with and still keep my motor running,,,, im going to try and go up a pinion for more top end.. going from (12/49) 4.083x2.53=10.329 to (13/49) 3.769x2.53=9.536