PDA

View Full Version : cogging??

Takumi861
08-19-2006, 02:44 PM
what is cogging? :confused: i've been behind nitro rc for over 3 years and it's pretty costy so i decided to switch over to electric. the mini inferno is my first electric rc, im really new to this whole electric rc hobby and i don't really hange out at the hobby shop or the track to find out these things.

bermbuster
08-19-2006, 11:45 PM
simple explanation: inability to utilize battery current. It happens a few ways....underpowered battery, overgearing the motor and by wrong adjustments on the speed controller. It looks like the vehicle moves/stops/moves stops....cogging or stuttering. What is happening in the speed control it shuts down then restarts....as long as you are applying the throttle it does this......cogging causes extreme heat and if done long enough it will burn up your controller. Cogging happens mostly with sensorless brushless systems.
What this means is to use high discharge packs 10-20c. Heavy wires and good connectors. Do not overgear your vehicle. Start off with a small pinion and you can work your way up.......depending on which controller you buy you may be able to make changes to timing, power, etc.....
Just remember going fast costs money$$$. When you decide to go brushless its more than just slapping a motor and controller in the vehicle.

RoostAZ
09-11-2006, 12:54 AM
fabulous explanation, I have known what cogging is for a while know and even I learned something!