PDA

View Full Version : amperage?

Takumi861
08-19-2006, 06:27 AM
what's the difference between a 25 amp brushless control unit and a 33 amp control unit? :confused: does more amps add more torque to the motor or something like that?

bermbuster
08-19-2006, 11:59 AM
more amps equates to more power capability of the controller. Todays battery technology gives us some really impressive discharge rates (amperage)upwards of 40 amps.....
the real deciding factor is your motor. If your motor can utilize the power.
Motors are rated in wattage. (volts x amps) 746 watts = 1hp.
Here is an example 3 cell 20c 11.1v lipo 1800mah can discharge 36 amps.
your 33 amp controller can utilize all the battery packs power. Now comes the motor. 11.1 x 36=400 watts. Technically thats almost a 1/2 hp. Most motors that fit in the half eight are in the 200 watt range.
Now for the translation.
The 33 amp controller will be able to handle more power.....
it will not be utilized to its max capacity so it will run cooler and possibly last longer. Since the controller and batteries are superior you will burn out motors if not careful with gearing. (watch motor temps)
If by chance you find a higher capacity motor....your controller will melt.....
The other thing that kills controllers is cogging......(another subject)
i hope this helps.......

Inferno ST Racer
08-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey, i have a Eflite easy metre or something, it measures current draw, amps,watts nad does battery voltage and mah's. I have a mamba 25 speedy and a himark 5400Kv motor (this conbination flys). I think the most amps it drew from the batt (hyperion 1500 3cell) was about 4 or 5?? So you dont need a 33amp speedy, i could go out and buy a MGM compro 8 amp and it would do the same job. Ive seen some guys with a mini LST (importers), they also import MGM, they had a 8 amp in it and it was absourluptly flying!!!! The motor or batt didnt even get warm!! Thats just my view on the subject, hope this helps!! :rolleyes: