PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Steering Horn

Pierrick
04-18-2005, 07:25 PM
My car steers better on the right side than the left side. As a matter of fact, I have to adjust the steering throttle very far off the neutral position to make it run straight.

I thus traced the problem to horn on the servo: user manual says it should be at a right angle when in neutral position (page 40), and sure it isn't.

How do you adjust the steering horn ? I removed the motor to access the *tiny* screew that hold the horn to the servo, but even if I loosen the screw the horn will stay in position. I don't want to totally remove the screw since I'm not sure I'll be able to put in back in place...

Thanks for your help !

Pierrick

TNB
04-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Although I completely removed the stock servo, I'm assuming the stock servo has a gear (or nut head) and the stock servo horn attaches to that gear (or nut head). Consequently, you probably have to completely remove the screw so the horn can be removed and reattached in a slightly different position.

However, are you even sure it is the servo horn? One wheel could be tighter than the other or one of the wheels may need adjusting since the camber/castor may be off when compared to the other one. Also, have you installed bearings yet?

Pierrick
04-18-2005, 09:14 PM
I finally found the proper way to remove the servo, and easily remove the screw so that the horn can be detached from the gear. Unfortunately, the horn can only be reattached in a slightly "off" position : either off on the right side, or off on the left side... No way I can attach it at the 90° angle mentioned in the user manual.

The reason why I think this is a problem with the horn adjustment is that I can see from above that the wheel angle is very different turning one side from the other.

Pierrick

BitHed
04-18-2005, 09:34 PM
...Pierrick..If you have stuff apart check your 'solid' steering parts too...Then check your electronics...As TNB says, check wheel nuts, kuckle screws, maybe a wheel isnt sitting straight etc...

...When you do your servo adjustment, make sure you controller is centered, turn car on and the servo will center, THEN attach horn...Horn will probably turn with servo when you tighten the screw anyway so adjust and make straight AGAIN before reattaching the servo rod...Hope some of this helps, apologiees if you know all this stuff already...Peace...

vindictor67
04-19-2005, 01:58 AM
pierrick, I am experiencing the same problem. I am running the stock electrics with Radio Shack IC3's AA's. I believe that the stock servo is just not completely up to the task. Also there is a LOT of play up/down in my servo saver, so when the arm pushes forward(left) the saver lifts up, and then pulls back down when turning right. It changes the geometry of the stearing arms enough to bring out the weakness in the servo; as well as, create a huge dead zone or Bump Steer. There is probably an 1/8" movement of the servo saver. At this point its just a guess. I haven't had time to shim and lube the servo-saver mount to test this theory. But I will ;)

Pierrick
04-19-2005, 05:56 AM
Thanks for your replies.

When I'll have time again I'll get a closer look to the steering geometry and any adjustment that may affect it. I'll come back here if I find anything new.

Pierrick