PDA

View Full Version : 3racing Fan

HVAC25000
07-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Anyone know how many volts the 3racing fans can handle/are designed to use? Since it comes with that little extension I know it is designed to be wired straight into the esc battery leads, but I'm running 8 cells not the usual 6.

Thanks!

BiGRoB21
07-01-2006, 11:27 PM
accually that extension is for you to plug it into the battery port on your rx if you are useing a aftermarket rx. i wouldn't sugest going over 7.2 if you are running it on a battery tho. it will probey shorten the life of the fan

ChrisOFNA
07-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Dont tug at the wires coming from the fan, its very weak and will rip the cords out easy as heck as ive found out...

BiGRoB21
07-02-2006, 12:59 AM
chris. the wires are very small. you should have known that lol. you have some bad luck with your car.

HVAC25000
07-02-2006, 01:32 AM
accually that extension is for you to plug it into the battery port on your rx if you are useing a aftermarket rx.

How am I supposed to plug this (see attachment) into a battery port?

You can't plug 2 bare wires into a receiver... The extension is to solder into the esc battery leads, just like every other fan kit out there that doesn't plug straight into the receiver. It comes with the 2 red plugs so you can unplug it when you don't want it running (a cheap switch). This works great in all my cars, all of which are 6 cells except the mini.

Either way, I like it how 3racing uses a fan designed to run on 7.2v in a car that is typically ran on 9.6. And I don't know of any receivers that put out 7.2v either. 3racing, dopping the ball once again, then fumbling around in the dark trying to find it. Just like with their diffs...

Anyone know anything about resistors? From what I know, I could find one rated at 7.2v and put one in line between the leads and the fan, and it would turn the 9.6 into 7.2. Any advice?

ChrisOFNA
07-02-2006, 03:36 AM
chris. the wires are very small. you should have known that lol. you have some bad luck with your car.I know. I blew the front diff today too... :(

habitforming
07-02-2006, 10:41 PM
How am I supposed to plug this (see attachment) into a battery port?

You can't plug 2 bare wires into a receiver... The extension is to solder into the esc battery leads, just like every other fan kit out there that doesn't plug straight into the receiver. It comes with the 2 red plugs so you can unplug it when you don't want it running (a cheap switch). This works great in all my cars, all of which are 6 cells except the mini.

Either way, I like it how 3racing uses a fan designed to run on 7.2v in a car that is typically ran on 9.6. And I don't know of any receivers that put out 7.2v either. 3racing, dopping the ball once again, then fumbling around in the dark trying to find it. Just like with their diffs...

Anyone know anything about resistors? From what I know, I could find one rated at 7.2v and put one in line between the leads and the fan, and it would turn the 9.6 into 7.2. Any advice?

I'm not too familiar with brushed ESC's, but for the brushless they only put out 6.0v to the receiver. So then all you have to do is remove your extension cable and plug the one directly attached to the fan into the +/- batt port on your receiver (unless it's stock).

Remove the fan and have a close look at it, they should have to show rated voltage by national electric code. Of course we're talking about cheap asian parts that are imported, so they may just not show it.

I think worst case is you solder it up like you're talking about, and if it blows go to newegg.com and buy a 25mm fan that's rated for 12 volts. I'm pretty sure they have those.

As far as a resistor, I wouldn't really recommend it. You should really use an op-amp and make a voltage divider to drop the voltage safely, but that's getting a little expensive and complex. If you use only a resistor it's just going to get really hot and become a fire hazard.

HVAC25000
07-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Well the fan I had in my hand at the time, the label is messed up, not fully printed. Didn't know there was even supposed to be writing, lol. I checked another fan and 7.2 is clearly printed on it. So if I were running 6 cells, I could wire it right in to the esc battery leads, but I'm not... I asked a friend of a friend about the whole lowering voltage thing and he talked for about half an hour about various weird little electrical items, none of which I remembered 5 minutes later because it was all stuff I'd never heard of before, lol, but he's going to get me exactly what I need to lower the voltage without any adverse effects. If anyone is interested, I can write down an explaination of what he tells me and gives me, just send me a PM.

Thanks everyone

BitHed
07-03-2006, 01:03 AM
...just plug the fan into your RX and you are good to go...if its too short just use an extension cable...I have two of these wired up to my 7.2 ezilla batteries and they are fine...they spin endlessly and painlessly...I never really personally liked them on the RX because i needed more air but they are pretty good though...

BiGRoB21
07-03-2006, 01:16 AM
i was talking about the plug on the fan. i wasnt aware that they came with the extra wire extension. and the fans are designed to be pluged into the battery port on the rx which habbit said only put out 6.0v thats the reason y they are 7.2 volt fans.

edit. and also that an is on a universal heatsink for 300 sized motors. its not made just for the half eight cause if it was it would be a 400 sized heat sink to fit the stock 400 sized motor.

BitHed
07-03-2006, 01:23 AM
...they work nice with the extension hooked up top the battery wires too though :o

BiGRoB21
07-03-2006, 02:55 AM
but when running a 3 cell lipo or a 8 cell 2/3a pack it would kill the fan

HVAC25000
07-03-2006, 03:12 AM
Well I've got an LRP fan that plugs into my rx, and it blows atleast twice the volume of air that the 3racing fan does when plugged into the rx. The 3r fan is designed to be ran on 7.2v, so I'm going to run it on 7.2v. I'd like to get maximum effeciency out of the fan...

It's very simple actually, all I have to do is solder 1 little chip into the line, and I get 7.2v with no power loss and no heat buildup. It's the exact same thing used in the ESC to regulate the power to the rx, just a different value.

Migs
07-03-2006, 03:25 AM
I've got one of those 3Racing heatsink/fan combos also but have yet to install it. I did solder on a plug on the end to be able to plug it into my receiver. I wasn't impressed with the amount of air and the speed of the fan to be honest. I'm running a 3s 11.1 lipo with a Quark33 esc. I'm not exactly sure how low the Quark drops the voltage to the receiver, but I would imagine probably 6V. I'm running a Spektrum micro receiver. I think the receiver can actually handle up to 9V but I'm not sure. But then again... the steering servo wouldn't be able to handle that much. I was thinking of running the fan off a 9V battery but they're heavy. Any suggestions...?

BiGRoB21
07-03-2006, 02:32 PM
im accually wondering how long one of these fans will last on a 11.1 lipo

Migs
07-03-2006, 02:41 PM
im accually wondering how long one of these fans will last on a 11.1 lipo

I'm kinda curious about that myself

AkRacingProducts
07-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Doesn't the receiver regulate the voltage no matter what kind of battery you have in there? Also, isn't a receiver only able to handle up to 6v? The ESC regulates the amount of power given to the receiver.

Migs
07-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Doesn't the receiver regulate the voltage no matter what kind of battery you have in there? Also, isn't a receiver only able to handle up to 6v? The ESC regulates the amount of power given to the receiver.

I don't know of any receivers that regulate voltage but I could be wrong. When running electric r/c, the ESC is usually what regulates the voltage to the receiver unless a separate regulator is used.

I know for a fact that Spektrum receivers can handle "more" than 6V. I believe they can handle up to 7V. I know of a few nitro guys that run Lipo receiver packs that don't use a regulator to their receivers. They run Spektrum receivers but without a regulator, the servo is getting hit with more voltage as well, thus shortening the lifespan of their steering servo.

Migs
07-03-2006, 06:35 PM
SR3000 DSM 3 Channel Receiver: Surface
Voltage Range: 3.2- 9.6V

SR3500 DSM 3-Channel Micro Racing Rx, Surface
Voltage Range: 3.2-9V