PDA

View Full Version : HELP w/ motor/diff swap

garrettsdad
06-22-2006, 12:54 AM
i want to move the motor to the other side of my st.....i know it can be done, i just need alittle more direction, maybe a cpl pics? thanks chris

AkRacingProducts
06-22-2006, 02:06 AM
Check this out: http://www.one18th.com/ShowArticle139.htm

If you have any more questions about this mod I'll gladly answer them.

JakeE
06-22-2006, 02:08 AM
Here's a photo of my MI. Do you have any specific questions?

garrettsdad
06-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Check this out: http://www.one18th.com/ShowArticle139.htm

If you have any more questions about this mod I'll gladly answer them.
ok that does help alot.....the steering servo though, I take it you can not use the old mounting plate?.......if not what do i use? thanks chris

AkRacingProducts
06-23-2006, 01:54 AM
You can use the original mounting plate. I'm not sure how the stock one looks like, but if it's the one pictured in JakeE's buggy then yes, it will work.

If not, what I did to mount my slightly bigger Hitec 225MG servo was just cut up that stock mount so you end up with just two small pieces that attach directly to the servo.

garrettsdad
06-24-2006, 12:01 AM
there's a chassis brace that runs form the rear of the diff to the rear of the buggy......does that have to be removed also? I can't seem to get the motor mount close enough to the diff gear otherwise........thanks chris

JakeE
06-24-2006, 02:40 AM
I used one of the stock servo brackets and a Hitec HS85 servo. I had to put a couple of washers underneath the bracket to clear the pinion however.

The plate that went on top of the servo bracket seemed pointless so I removed it. The rear plate had to be trimmed to fit the new diff arrangement, but it was a minor mod.

Dinglefinger
07-05-2006, 06:55 AM
Can anyone advise on how to rewire the motor when doing the mirror mod?

I have a mamba 25 ESC, with a warp 4 motor - in the stock configuration the red wire from the esc went to the red wire on the motor, black to black and white to white. with the motor now turned 180 does the motor need to be wire backwards?

If so which wire from the mamba go where.

Kyle
07-05-2006, 01:53 PM
switch any two wires running to your motor. brushless has no polarity so switching any 2 wires will make it run the opposite way.

kyle

garrettsdad
07-23-2006, 04:16 PM
How is everybody mounting their mamba esc......I have removed the shrink wrap and installed a heatsink to it. Are you glueing it in place? Maybe shoe goo? Or velcro? Not sure because of the way the mamaba is made lmk chris

habitforming
07-23-2006, 06:55 PM
I would recommend getting some heat shrink that you can fit around the entire ESC, and re-cover the entire thing. Then cut out a square around the heatsink you installed.

After you do that, use some servo tape (or 3M outdoor heavy duty double sided mounting tape, found at Walmart and such) to affix it to the car. It's generally not a good idea to have the electronics so exposed, and I wouldn't be comfortable putting the adhesive tape against a bare circuit board.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some electronics laquer/plastic spray and coat the ESC before heat-shrinking it. That should give you a good level of water-proofing.

Jrgunn5150
07-23-2006, 08:57 PM
This stuff is great at waterproofing, http://www.aerotrend.com/shop_cat.php?cat=1 you could also use Velcro to affix the esc.

habitforming
07-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Does aeroplate harden onto the surface, or does it stay liquid? (i.e. is it permanent or removable?)

Anyway, looks like a great product. I'll keep it in mind if I ever get around to waterproofing the MLST.

Jrgunn5150
07-23-2006, 09:13 PM
It's kinda greasy, I use it on my MT servo's and reciever for winter time. I redo it every year.

H8er
08-20-2006, 11:02 PM
I'd pay to have someone do this, since I'm not confident enough in my KMI skills yet... would anyone do it? Email me: RCRacer8@GMail.com or post here.