PDA

View Full Version : Servo has reversed and fails

Mut1ey
06-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Hello

Something has happened to my stock servo. What used to be right is not left and vice-versa when I turn the wheel. It doesn't return to centre when I release the wheel either. Also it will just stop working (even when detached from steering linkage and moving free) for no apparent reason.

Only thing I have changed is to put on an aluminium steering set.

What have I done and how? I don't mind too much as I'm about to sweep in a brushless setup :p and will be replacing the servo, but I don't want the same to happen to my new metal gear servo.

Mutts

habitforming
06-20-2006, 02:36 PM
If I had to guess, I would say you adjusted the servo saver too tight when you installed the new linkage. As a result, it probably buggered up the servo after it took a good jolt. Did you drive it at all between when you installed the steering set and when this problem occurred?

Mut1ey
06-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Yes I did drive it between. What exactly do you mean by - "too tight"? Is that the 9mm on the spring that is mentioned in the manual?

Thanks

habitforming
06-20-2006, 07:06 PM
9mm sounds right. basically the more you screw down the adjustment on that spring, the tigher it becomes and the less "give" you have in the servo saver. That means that more of the shock introduced to the front wheels will make it to the servo, rather than being lost in the spring action of the saver.

For metal gear servos you can run this almost totally locked and you really don't have anything to worry about (unless you have some really really hard hits), but for the cheap-o stock servos that mini's tend to come with, the servo saver is very important.