PDA

View Full Version : Broken motor shaft on Wraith 7K

Migs
06-19-2006, 03:56 AM
Hey guys... just wondering if any of you out there have ever broken a motor shaft...?

I just switched pinions from a 13T to an 11T on my Wraith motor in my Half 8 because of heat issues. The gear mesh was set properly and there was no binding in the drivetrain at all.

I took it out for a test run and made a few passes up and down my street. On the 3rd pass the buggy ended up coming to a stop. When I picked it up and looked to try and find the problem I could see that the shaft and pinion were missing from the motor but was laying towards the front of the chassis.

I'm running a Quark 33a for the esc and I don't have reverse programmed in at the moment. So it's not like it got jammed into reverse. As I mentioned before, there is no binding in any part of the drivetrain.

I've already emailed Troy at BPP to see what can be done at this point. I'm so bummed out...!!!

http://www.halfeight.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif http://www.halfeight.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif http://www.halfeight.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif

BiGRoB21
06-19-2006, 04:15 AM
man that sucks. im shure troy will fix the problem.
did this happen when you were on throtal or when you were breaking? also what pinion are you useing? (brand) mayb you had herculies strength and tightned the set screw too much stressing the shaft wehre it was sitting and the pressure from acceleration snaped it at that spot?

Migs
06-19-2006, 05:06 AM
man that sucks. im shure troy will fix the problem.
did this happen when you were on throtal or when you were breaking? also what pinion are you useing? (brand) mayb you had herculies strength and tightned the set screw too much stressing the shaft wehre it was sitting and the pressure from acceleration snaped it at that spot?

I wanna say it happened on braking but it's hard to tell cause the buggy was still in motion when I think it actually snapped off and it was at the end of my street.

I'm using an Associated pinion from an RC18t. I don't "think" I tightened the set screw too much. Kinda hard to do that anyway with such a small hex size. Then again.. the shaft on the Wraith motor is only 2mm I think... correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not too worried... I'm sure Troy will take care of the problem the best he can.

bermbuster
06-19-2006, 11:36 AM
most likely your motor when it was made the shaft was stressed. I have heard of several small motor shafts snapping. Does happen a lot but it happens. Let us know how you make out.

ChrisOFNA
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Did you have to flat spot the shaft? Maybe to made a weak spot in it when you flat spotted it.

Migs
06-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Did you have to flat spot the shaft? Maybe to made a weak spot in it when you flat spotted it.

Nope.... didn't flat spot the shaft for the set screw. I figured the shaft was already small enough ( in diameter ) and I didn't want to make it any thinner.

I got a reply back from Troy this morning. He really makes a great effort to reply to emails in a timely fashion. Here's what he had to say:

"Unless the motor had been dropped or got tagged in a accident it must have been a defective shaft from the factory. We will cover you either way as your motor is still under warranty. Please send it back for replacement. Please notify me as soon as you send it back and I will cross ship you a new one. Thanks again"

I knew he would take care of the problem one way or another, I wasn't too worried.

OvaYaHead
06-19-2006, 03:12 PM
other then the broken shaft, how did the wraith feel with a 11t on? I have one laying around, but haven't stuck it on.

Kyle
06-29-2006, 06:30 PM
my buddy just had the exact same thing happen last night. buggy was going down the track then stopped. thought the pinion came loose but it broke the shaft off the motor.

kyle

Migs
06-29-2006, 09:11 PM
my buddy just had the exact same thing happen last night. buggy was going down the track then stopped. thought the pinion came loose but it broke the shaft off the motor.

kyle

Hmmm... I wonder if it's just a fluke. I know Troy (BPP) said I was the first person to have this happen. Now there's another person. I hope it doesn't happen again. But if it does.... I know Troy will take care of it.

Kyle
06-29-2006, 09:23 PM
yea spoke to troy today also. he said this was the second one he heard of and yours was the other lol. said his only concern was both incidents happened in infernos. promptly shipped a new one out today. THANKS TROY! great service excellent!!!!!!

kyle

Migs
06-29-2006, 09:27 PM
yea spoke to troy today also. he said this was the second one he heard of and yours was the other lol. said his only concern was both incidents happened in infernos. promptly shipped a new one out today. THANKS TROY! great service excellent!!!!!!

kyle

LOL... ya, I have the unfortunate honor of being the first person to break a shaft on a Wraith motor. I hope it doesn't happen again. (crossing fingers).