PDA

View Full Version : yet another H8 nut

J-san
03-15-2005, 03:23 AM
Cool forum! Glad to see that the H8 has already drawn so much popularity despite not even being released yet. A little about me; my real name is Jason (my user name is a pun based upon the Japanese honorific and how J-san sounds like "Jason". Well, my girlfriend thought it was cute). I've been involved with RC cars for over 7 years now. My main field of expertise lies mostly in the Mini-T and Micro RS4, and Mini-Z. I also know a a fair deal about batteries and how to build custom packs and the like. I do have a garage (my closet) of over 10 cars ranging from 1/10 nitro touring to the 1/18 micros and even the Bit Char-G series and Mini-Z.

I'm fairly knowledgable in Olympic style recurve archery (no, I doubt I'll ever make the national team) in things like technique and bow tuning. I love this style of archery; I feel it's where technology and technique meld together to create a beautiful sport. I also practice Shotokan Karate and Kodokan Judo. Both styles keep me in shape over the cold winters when I can't go mountain biking. I'm a very avid biker and an amateur bike mechanic. My next goal is to be able to afford a nice XC (cross-country) frame and piece together the bike of my dreams.

I guess that's a little about me. Hopefully, I can be of some use to everyone on the forums :)

RURC
03-15-2005, 04:37 AM
Mountain Bikes Kick. I have a extra set of disc calipers you can start collecting stuff now. I dont know a thing about archery except stay away from the pointy end. Glad to see the varried intrests starting out here. Its gonna be a bumpy ride.

BitHed
03-15-2005, 05:00 AM
...Good to have you here J-San...Im a biker from way back too...GREAT thighs if i say so myself :D If i could get it there i would flow you my SCHWINN Moab :) We are looking forward to your expertise on how to shoot a Mini Inferno from 100 meteres with a bow and arrow :)

halfEIGHT
03-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Welcome J-san! Are you also a member at YourMicro.com and Mini-ZRacer.com (our Micro RS4/Mini-T and Mini-Z sites, respectively)?

J-san
03-15-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm a member of one18th.com under username: Jason C. I used to be on yourmicro.com and a couple other micro rc forums, but I found one18th to be my favorite.

What disc calipers you have, RURC? I use Magura hydraulics (Julies, to be exact). I used to be a hardcore free-rider, but my girlfriend has been scolding me due to injuries recieved and having been hit by a car last October. So, I'm leaving the FR scene and going more the VC route with lighter frames, and components. Ideally, I want a full carbon frame (Kestrel Edge is among my fav) but I do like the Ellsworth models.

BitHed, nice to see you here. I'd never draw my bow on a H8 - they're too cute :D Could never bring myself to do it. Besides, at 100m, a H8 would be nearly impossible to see!

RURC
03-16-2005, 04:24 AM
What disc calipers you have, RURC? I use Magura hydraulics (Julies, to be exact). I used to be a hardcore free-rider, but my girlfriend has been scolding me due to injuries recieved and having been hit by a car last October. So, I'm leaving the FR scene and going more the VC route with lighter frames, and components. Ideally, I want a full carbon frame (Kestrel Edge is among my fav) but I do like the Ellsworth models.

I know that they are Hayes. I will have to dig them out. I have twin 4 piston Sham XTR's on a Fisher 29er. And the same on my Foes that has been modified to take the 29er rims. Just waiting to taco one. I find that the 29 inch rims need more when you are 6'1" and 245 pounds.

J-san
03-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah, you're putting some strain on those rims being a bigger rider. I've got a friend who is over 350lbs. and totaled his rims on the second time he took the bike out.

I'm considering the Hope Mini calipers for when I build my XC bike.

ruknd
03-16-2005, 05:50 PM
carbon weakens LOTS in a short period of time...go TI once you do you'll never look back. I've got a MOOTS rigourmootis and it rides like butter.

RURC
03-16-2005, 06:19 PM
carbon weakens LOTS in a short period of time...go TI once you do you'll never look back. I've got a MOOTS rigourmootis and it rides like butter.

That is not entirely true. If you are experanceing weakining there is a problem with the resin mix. Carbon fibre is one of the most stable products out if the extraction and bakeing are done correctly. The problem with your bike could have been because of a leak in the bag before thay baked it. I live carbon fibre and carbon ceramics every day and have for many years. I would contact the manufacturer. It sounds like they have a problem.

ruknd
03-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Oh no...I'm too fat for carbon fiber...its TI all the way for me. But my sister is a Tri/Iornman athlete and those people replace their carbon fiber frames every 2 years or so because if the weakening. there are lots of forces from different angles acting on it...and yeah if it's super thick carbon fiber its bulletproof but then also super heavy. The old weight vs. strength problem. There is alsu the issue of the joints weakening..and carbon fiber shatters and has no give. I personally dont like it for mountain bikes...for F1 bodies its the perfect material :p

TNB
03-18-2005, 05:51 PM
my sister is a Tri/Iornman athlete and those people replace their carbon fiber frames every 2 years or so because if the weakening.
So that's why I was replaced. Not by your sister (I think), but by another female triathlete I knew.