PDA

View Full Version : Motors meaning descriptions

gab696
04-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Hi
i am newbie and i will to ask you a stupid question.
What's the meaning of theses numbers (9X2) in this descripton example:
Reedy Ti 9 turn Double (9x2) Modified Motor - 381

Often i hear speacking about modified motors... what's exactly?

sorry for theses basic questions.... :(

mOOsE
04-17-2005, 11:43 PM
when a motor says "9" turn, it means that their is a strand of wire wrapped around the armature 9 times. Their are three seperate sections on the armature (rotating piece inside the motor) and they will each have a wire wrapped 9 times around it. The "2" means that the wire actually contains two strands of wire wrapped as one. The higher number of strands the more top end. A stock 1/10 motor is a 27x1 so...27 wraps of a single strand of wire. The fewer wraps around the armature, the faster the current flows through it creating higher rpm. Elec motors are basically electro-magnets. Hope this helps.

BitHed
04-18-2005, 01:19 AM
...Gab thats NOT a silly question at all...I didnt know an of that either...and Moose obviously has WAY too much free time to know all that 'nerdy' stuff :p

...So if my ESC has a 14 turn limit does that mean i cant go OVER 14 turns or UNDER 14 turns :confused:

mOOsE
04-18-2005, 02:38 AM
thanks bit! . If your esc is rated @ 14turns, you shouldn't run a motor LOWER than 14 turns. the lower the faster. Did ou know that you can also take motors apart and remove windings to create more power...

BitHed
04-18-2005, 07:19 AM
...So in this case less is more...Gotcha!! So Moose you have a side business of 'doping' motors? :p

...So how do we find out how many turns an Xspeed has? I am sending a guinea pig to UNITED RC so hopefully they will be able to dissect it and see what it ate for breakfast, probably an 18T :p