PDA

View Full Version : Pinion and slipper gear question

gorbasho
06-11-2006, 02:18 AM
For the guys running brushless motors and Atomic alloy slipper gears, what pinions are you using that mesh good with the slipper gears? I've heard theres a problem with some pinions because they are 48p imperial system and the slipper gears are 48p metric system or vice versa or something like that, I forget. Will the pinions Troy has on the brushless motor page mesh with the Atomic gears?

MrUnlimited
06-12-2006, 07:07 PM
For the guys running brushless motors and Atomic alloy slipper gears, what pinions are you using that mesh good with the slipper gears? I've heard theres a problem with some pinions because they are 48p imperial system and the slipper gears are 48p metric system or vice versa or something like that, I forget. Will the pinions Troy has on the brushless motor page mesh with the Atomic gears?

If you run a 2mm shaft motor, Kyosho just released a 12 and 14 pinion for brushless with 2mm shafts. Part number is IHW33-12 and IHW33-14

Kyle
06-22-2006, 06:00 PM
i was running the alloy gears also. they just seemed to eat up pinons (AE pinon). i switched to the new 3 racing blue slipper. its a one piece gear ie spur and slipper is molded so 0 slip. also the gears are made of tough carbide plastic i think its called. anyways have been running them a week now with finally 0 problems.

kyle

MrUnlimited
06-25-2006, 12:19 AM
What pinion are you using with the blue 3Racing gear?

AkRacingProducts
06-25-2006, 01:05 AM
I am using Troy's pinions (www.b-p-p.com) with the Atomic gear. I've had an hour runtime with it and so far so good. There is a little bit of metal dust but I think that's normal since the spur gear is made from a relatively soft alloy.

MrUnlimited
06-25-2006, 01:45 AM
I am using Troy's pinions (www.b-p-p.com) with the Atomic gear. I've had an hour runtime with it and so far so good. There is a little bit of metal dust but I think that's normal since the spur gear is made from a relatively soft alloy.
I am using a pinion of titaniumRacing and noticed that the Atomic gear is made of copper/alloy combination cause I saw copper-colored dust on my chassis.. I am curious what pinion he is using with the blue 3racing gears. I just ordered through Ebay a set @ Stellamodels and don't like to ruin them in my first run! :mad:

AkRacingProducts
06-25-2006, 02:26 AM
Yea, my dust was also a gold/silver color.

MrUnlimited
06-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I have contacted 3Racing this morning and wait for their answer what pitch their new gears are. Let's hope they answer. :confused:

Migs
06-27-2006, 07:52 AM
I have contacted 3Racing this morning and wait for their answer what pitch their new gears are. Let's hope they answer. :confused:

If you're referring to the new 3Racing blue delrin replacement slipper gear(s), they are standard 48P, NOT METRIC. I just installed my gears tonight with a Team Associated pinion from an RC18T. The mesh is great.

I tried my 48P metric pinion from my Vendetta with the new 3Racing gears and the mesh was off... meaning not a match.

MrUnlimited
06-28-2006, 01:19 PM
If you're referring to the new 3Racing blue delrin replacement slipper gear(s), they are standard 48P, NOT METRIC. I just installed my gears tonight with a Team Associated pinion from an RC18T. The mesh is great.

I tried my 48P metric pinion from my Vendetta with the new 3Racing gears and the mesh was off... meaning not a match.
Strange.......I received this morning this message from 3Racing:

Because the brushless motor haven't a standard motor pin, if you want use
our gear, we suggest you use back the brush motor.
Thank you your inquiry!

Best Regards,
Ethel
:confused: I don't know anymore

AkRacingProducts
06-28-2006, 02:48 PM
The stock pinion gear isn't 48P metric?

MrUnlimited
06-28-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't know anymore. I used Titanium Racing standard pinions on my Align with Atomic spurgear. The mesh seems ok but leaves dust and makes a lot of noise. I think I use the ALign in a 1/16 hydroplane and put a new brushless into my Mini Inferno.

AkRacingProducts
06-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Unlimited, like I said before I get dust too, but my gears aren't any louder than the stock plastic gears. That's the only thing that was different in my case. Maybe you should try Troy's pinions?

Migs
06-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Unlimited, like I said before I get dust too, but my gears aren't any louder than the stock plastic gears. That's the only thing that was different in my case. Maybe you should try Troy's pinions?

I was getting the metal dust as well with the Atomic metal gears. I think everyone who has tried them got the dust. I didn't really like them at all. I don't think the slipper gear that spins off the pinion was the correct pitch.

I'll be testing out the 3Racing delrin gears tonight. I wasn't able to do any runs last night. I'll try and get pics up as well.

Troys pinions are standard 48P, nothing special about them. I've been running Team Associated pinions for the RC18T and also Robinson Racing pinions also for the RC18T. No problems at all....

MrUnlimited
06-28-2006, 07:57 PM
I was getting the metal dust as well with the Atomic metal gears. I think everyone who has tried them got the dust. I didn't really like them at all. I don't think the slipper gear that spins off the pinion was the correct pitch.

I'll be testing out the 3Racing delrin gears tonight. I wasn't able to do any runs last night. I'll try and get pics up as well.

Troys pinions are standard 48P, nothing special about them. I've been running Team Associated pinions for the RC18T and also Robinson Racing pinions also for the RC18T. No problems at all....
Let us know if there is any wear on the gear and how they mesh. Are you running baldiffs?

Migs
06-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Let us know if there is any wear on the gear and how they mesh. Are you running baldiffs?

I'll know in a few hours... still at work here on the west coast (PST). Got about 2 more hours then I'll be going straight home to do some test runs.

I have an Atomic center ball diff that's locked. I'm running ST diffs in the front and rear.

I'll try and have some updated pics later tonight....

MrUnlimited
06-29-2006, 06:24 AM
Another day has begun.......testresults pleazzzze :rolleyes:

Migs
06-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Another day has begun.......testresults pleazzzze :rolleyes:

Sorry for the wait everyone.... especially you MrUnlimited...!!! :p

I was able to finally get my MI buggy back together tonight and test the 3Racing delrin slipper gear(s). They work great...!!! There is no question that they are standard 48P gears. The gear mesh with my Team Associated RC18T (48P) pinion gear is perfect... no issues whatsoever. I ran 2 full batteries on the gears.... 1800mah and 1500mah, both 11.1V. I honestly think these are currently the best slipper gear(s) out there for the MI. Although I guess you really can't call them slipper gears since it's more of a "locker" gear.

I took a couple pics of the gears that I posted in my gallery. There are quite a few other new pics in my gallery as well. Got a few new goodies....

Eclipse RC CF chassis
Crowd Pleazer custom painted body by Eclipse RC
1/10th scale wheels/tires

Click on the link in my signature to view the pics of the 3Racing delrin gears and my other new pics as well.

MrUnlimited
06-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Nice ride! Like the body. Any signs of wear on the new gears and what motor are you running? Is the combo pinion/gear less noisier than with the Atomic gears?

Migs
06-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Nice ride! Like the body. Any signs of wear on the new gears and what motor are you running? Is the combo pinion/gear less noisier than with the Atomic gears?

So far there are no signs of wear on the new gears but time will tell. I'll update everyone when I get more run time on them. I'm running a Wraith 7K brushless motor.

Kyle
06-29-2006, 06:02 PM
i am running AE pinions with the 3racing blue spur. it works fine. i am running a hyperion 6000kv brushless with quark33a pro-car. have been running this setup for 3 weeks no issues with it. only issue i have now is blowing center diffs apart. i got a atmoic ball center diff on the way to fix that :)

kyle

Kyle
06-29-2006, 06:10 PM
o nad mr unlimited i believe that 3racing was reply about pinion gears not spurs. as brushless motors have different size motor shafts. running the blue spur/slipper combo on a brushless is no problem.

kyle

MrUnlimited
06-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Ok, I am waiting for a new motor (http://cgi.ebay.nl/B20-Brushless-motor-built-up-radiator-cover-16A-KV7210_W0QQitemZ110002165481QQihZ001QQcategoryZ340 56QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) now and will use then AE pinions. I am currently busy to make a new chassis from carbon.

16thDimension
07-16-2006, 11:59 PM
I have also recently installed the 3Racing Delrin Blue locker gears. I have to say it works excellent in conjunction with Robinson Racing pinions. As everyone else says, its a better mesh and drastically a Huge reduction in noise for me and no more metal flakes inside the vehicle. I was also using those crappy Atomic metal inner/outer slipper gears, along with the Atomic differential. Now that this is cured i have to invest in a CF chassis and a Spektrum. Then my Inferno will be complete :p :D :p Yippy!!!!

pimpsmurf
07-17-2006, 04:19 PM
MrUnlimited, I think you will find that motor to have very little torque, and will most likely have heat issues on the half8.

I have also recently installed the 3Racing Delrin Blue locker gears. I have to say it works excellent in conjunction with Robinson Racing pinions. As everyone else says, its a better mesh and drastically a Huge reduction in noise for me and no more metal flakes inside the vehicle. I was also using those crappy Atomic metal inner/outer slipper gears, along with the Atomic differential. Now that this is cured i have to invest in a CF chassis and a Spektrum. Then my Inferno will be complete :p :D :p Yippy!!!!

Mega dittos on the 3Racing delrin locker gears. Those things are excellent especially when coupled with some teflon spray. Very very nice. Unfortunately, no half 8 is every "complete." :) I am waiting on mip CVDs and a mip center BB diff now. Already have a pitbull and spektrum/m8, but I need to get a quark and maybe a wraith. I'll probably get a wraith for the mini LST just because Troy@b-p-p has never lead anyone to buying crap, and he speaks highly of the wraith. I wonder what kind of 3 cell top speeds you will see on the H8 (he says over 60, but it's not official yet.) and also what kind of speed could be had on a MLST w/ a 2 cell and 23->60 gearing.

-JNY