PDA

View Full Version : What about other brushless ESC?

Mut1ey
06-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi

Why are there so few brushless speed controllers for cars? Why can't you I just use any old 33a controller?

I await enlightenment :D

AkRacingProducts
06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Personally, I don't see the need for them. To answer your question, yes, you can use any old 33a controller for pretty much any Mini brushless motor.

OvaYaHead
06-01-2006, 04:22 PM
The market for brushless motors in cars is still farely new. This is probably why there are few brushless esc's for cars right now. Some brushless esc's do not have a reverse option on them are only good for planes.

Mut1ey
06-01-2006, 05:45 PM
hmmmm. Interestingly I'm sure I have read that some people don't use reverse. I guess this would just be for racing or something, maybe.

OvaYaHead
06-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Your right, some people don't use reverse. Many good racers I know programmed reverse out.

Mut1ey
06-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I ordered one last week that was new, but cheap. I asked the seller again today if it can be used for cars and he said it can, that reverse is built-in. We shall see when I get it!

It is unlikely to be programable, but then I'm not sure why anyone would want to program a speed controller - isn't your radio supposed to do the driving and the esc is just their to control how much juice goes to the motor?

OvaYaHead
06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
did you buy the esc off ebay?

The remote basically just controlls the steering and throttle. The esc will take care of any brake programming, motor settings, battery settings, power cut off and many other back ground electronic controlling.

Mut1ey
06-01-2006, 11:22 PM
did you buy the esc off ebay?

The remote basically just controlls the steering and throttle. The esc will take care of any brake programming, motor settings, battery settings, power cut off and many other back ground electronic controlling.

Indeed, ordered from the bay.

How does brake programming work? For a scenrio imagine my MIF is pootling along @ 1000mph and my finger accidentaly slips off the throttle. Does the esc think, "Umm, I'm gonna brake now?". Or something else. My money is on the latter :D

JakeE
06-02-2006, 12:59 AM
The problem is that not all speed controls are designed for the same goals. Airplane speed controls don't need to have precise and smooth throttle response like that of a car.

Mut1ey
06-02-2006, 01:14 AM
The problem is that not all speed controls are designed for the same goals. Airplane speed controls don't need to have precise and smooth throttle response like that of a car.

So the Mamba, Tekin and whatever others are specifically for cars and nothing else?

JakeE
06-02-2006, 02:14 AM
Yes the Mamba 25, Tekin Mini Rage and Quark 33A Pro Car are intended for surface use. I'm not sure if you could use them in an airplane without different software. For example, planes are setup such that neutral throttle is at the bottom of the stick travel, there are no brakes / reverse.

Mut1ey
06-02-2006, 03:24 AM
Just found this on the bay. Dinball.

Suitable for Micro Cars, RC18t, 18MT, Mini-T
Also for Mini Helicopters, Zoom 400/Shogun, Piccolo Pro, T-Rex 450

Quark 33 Amp ESC

7 Programmable Modes:
(Air,Air3D,Car/Boat,Car/Boat reverse,Heli-1,Heli-2,Heli-3)

Instantaneous Reverse Rotation control(No Wire swapping necessary)
Tubro(changeable with be maximum efficiency/output)
Very Soft&High Torque ignition
Realistic ABS Braking
Real Constant RPM Governor
Smart BEC Cut-off
Automatic Voltage Cut-Off(Programmable)
High trmperature Cut-Off
High switvhing rate(38KHz)
Automatic timing advance

JakeE
06-02-2006, 07:05 AM
I don't have enough experience with the Quark controllers to know if that model is different than the 33A Pro Car unit. Some controllers are designed for surface use (Castle Creations Mamba, Tekin Mini Rage), some for air use (Castle Creations Phoenix) and others like the Quark 33A you found can do both via discrete profiles.

I'm not saying you couldn't use a Mamba or Mini Rage in an airplane application, but I'm not sure how well it would work.

OvaYaHead
06-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Mut1ey - thats the Quark 33a universal. Get the pro-car instead. b-p-p.com has it.