PDA

View Full Version : Brushless motors

zachhitamailbox
05-28-2006, 10:17 PM
What is a brushless motor exactly? Whats the difference between a brushless and stock motor?

OvaYaHead
05-28-2006, 10:43 PM
It doesn't have brushes :D

zachhitamailbox
05-28-2006, 11:02 PM
im pretty new to the r/c scene so i dont really understand.......

OvaYaHead
05-28-2006, 11:22 PM
I don't know the whole science behind motors, but I can give you a general idea.

If you ever open up a brushed motor, you'll find magnets touching the spindle. On a brushless there are no magnets touching the spindle.

There are two main types of brushless motors: outrunner and inrunner.

In a outrunner the spindle stays stationary while the outer part moves around it.

In a inrunner the spindle spins.

Since your asking about brushless I think you should build your inferno from scratch. You'll need to swap out all the electronics on a RTR to go brushless.

zachhitamailbox
05-28-2006, 11:29 PM
so ill have to change the motor and speed control??

OvaYaHead
05-28-2006, 11:59 PM
servo, receiver and transmitter too. Unless you get a 27mhz am reciever thats compatible with the stock transmitter. It's better to just get a better transmitter. This is why I suggested just starting from scratch. The only thing you miss out on is seeing how everything fits and works together on a RTR.

Perli
05-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Why do you have to change servo and reveiver? Might be a stupid question but I'm new at this. Thanks!

JakeE
05-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Why do you have to change servo and reveiver? Might be a stupid question but I'm new at this. Thanks!

The stock receiver and speed control are combined into one unit, this setup does not allow for use of a different speed control. The stock servo is a four wire unit and is incompatible with standard receivers which only work with standard three wire servos.

Perli
05-29-2006, 05:37 PM
The stock receiver and speed control are combined into one unit, this setup does not allow for use of a different speed control. The stock servo is a four wire unit and is incompatible with standard receivers which only work with standard three wire servos.

Ah, ok. Thanks!

So, does it matter what receiver you use? Can you use the transmitter that came with the h8 (27MHz)? Else, what is commonly used? Also what servo is recommended?

gorbasho
05-29-2006, 11:17 PM
you can use the stock transmitter as long as you use a 27mhz AM receiver, ex: Novak XXL. commonly used servos are the hitec hs-81mg and hs-85mg