PDA

View Full Version : wraith or align??

mat3833
05-17-2006, 11:41 PM
ok first off im back after a long break. my H8 was(and still is) waiting on a top plate but now i have the money to get one. now, im looking into getting a new motor for those large tracks. my mamba performs flawlessly on the short tracks but leaves me wanting more speed on the larger tracks. if i gear up i dont have the "umph" needed to clear the big tripples. so my question is what is the best motor to use on a large 1/8 scale track? the longest strait is about 200 ft and the largest jump is a quad with a 15 ft gap between takeoff and landing. i can triple single it now if i try hard but i double double it consistantly. i was looking at the wraith because of its high KV but also because of the video of it on the MLST. i have also heard some good things about the align motor. any help would be great.

Matt

OvaYaHead
05-18-2006, 07:02 AM
You will be happy with the wraith in those conditions. With a 12t pinion and 3cell lipo the wraith will easilly clear the 15ft gap and not even hit full speed in 200ft. Even though it has the high end speed it still has very nice torque from the get go.

If you had to suddenly break about 2ft before the 15ft gap, you should still easilly clear it. You can easilly pull flips too :D so lay off the throttle while in the air.

I like the align 3550kv a lot too, but haven't been able to use it ever since I switched to atomic alloy slipper gears. I can't find a pinion that will match up. I only tried the align with a 12t. With 12t on the align it had almost enough torque to do wheelies with the ST, but topped out on speed around 50ft. The align does run a lot cooler so it can be geared a lot higher.

If you like the smoothness of the mamba, go with the wraith. The wraith makes the kmi respond instantly and smooth.

mat3833
05-18-2006, 10:26 PM
ok looks like it is the wraith. but before i comit does anyone have a vid of both of these motors?? id like to compare the 2

Matt

gorbasho
05-19-2006, 01:49 AM
I like the align 3550kv a lot too, but haven't been able to use it ever since I switched to atomic alloy slipper gears. I can't find a pinion that will match up.
what diameter is teh align shaft? do you know if the wraith will work with the atomic alloy slipper gears? what type pinion should be used?

mOOsE
05-19-2006, 02:07 AM
align is 3.2mm, same as 540.

mat3833
05-19-2006, 10:24 PM
no videos?? ill have to look around on one18th.com for some.

Matt

Migs
05-19-2006, 10:42 PM
no videos?? ill have to look around on one18th.com for some.

Matt

I should hopefully have my Wraith by this coming Wednesday. I might've had it by now but BPP had a mis-shipment on thier order. It seems some of the Wraith motors they got in weren't built to the proper specs. I'm hoping to have everything installed by next weekend. I also ordered about $300 in hop-ups (in addition to the Wraith motor) which sould hopefully be here by next week as well.

Unfortunately I don't have a video camera. I'll see if I can borrow a friends.

gahendo
05-20-2006, 04:33 AM
Here's a crappy video i shot real quick. http://dirtpages.com/blue_one/inferno/Movie_0001.wmv I've had the wraith in my st for a month now and love it. I'm running the wraith(stock pinion) and a 2 cell lipo.

mat3833
05-20-2006, 07:42 PM
thnx, if that is with a 2 cell lipo and stock pinion in an ST my buggy will love the wraith 9.6v and a 16tooth!!

Matt

OvaYaHead
05-20-2006, 11:21 PM
I don't know about the 16t pinion :eek: . Something is going to get very hot