PDA

View Full Version : Rocket 400

HalfEight27
05-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Hello, I have read a couple of posts regarding motors and I am interested in the Rocket 400 - http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed400.htm
I don't want to go brushless as it's pretty expensive and seem like you have to upgrade alot of other parts of the car.

If I do get the Rocket 400, apart from soldering, is there anything else I will need to do? I have read some posts saying something about teeth, can anyone give me more information as to what this means?

The Rocket 400 is 8.4v does this relate to the battery in any way? I have Intellect 1400mAh 9.6V Batteries on the way, will these work ok with this motor?
Is the motor much better than the stock?
thanks in advance!

Goad
05-08-2006, 12:35 PM
i had the same quetions too.

rcnub
05-08-2006, 01:35 PM
I have my half eight running stock pinion, diffs, TX and rec/esc, with an 8 pack of 1200 intellects and the rocket 400.

You will see a major difference with an 8 pack and stock motor, and an even bigger difference when using the Rocket 400.

Things to consider:

Your Rocket motor will of course use more of the battery run time.

Your motor and esc will get hot, I wouldnt run two sets of batteries back to back, let her cool down between packs.

Just to be safe, ease on the gas from a stand still start, especially on a high grip surface as not to tear up your diffs.

I can't say for certain about the 1400's, but I have had good luck so far with my 1200's.

Well worth the ten bucks or so for the motor. :D

(Make sure you read up on aligning the motor correctly, you will definately lose "teeth" if you dont.)

Enjoy!

HalfEight27
05-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Where can I find out about how to properly alighn the Rocket 400 and what teeth to use?

bermbuster
05-12-2006, 02:00 AM
aligning the motor....setting the gear mesh from the motor (pinion) to the slipper (spur)....the gears must have the proper mesh (to close) it will bind (to
far away) slip and strip the gears...proper mesh is set by a few ways....thin pc of paper (rolling paper is ideal) between the gears will give adequate space. After tightening the motor mount rotate the pinion and see if it will rotate 360 without binding.....nice and smooth......the other way is to move the motor (pinion) until it binds....back off slightly and snug the screws rotate the pinion and check for smoothness....if it is tight rotate a few more turns see if it loosens...if not move motor ever so slightly. tighten screws and check again. Meshing gears takes practice......and remember to keep the gears parallel and make sure the setscrew does not touch anything.....
For starters use the stock pinion. A bigger pinion more top speed (hotter running) smaller pinion more low end (cooler running) and less top speed...

Perli
05-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Can you use the Rocket 400 with the stock electronics in the car? Or do you have to make some other changes?

Also, how much faster will it be with the Rocket 400 compared to x-speed?

/ Perli