PDA

View Full Version : Run time

46u
04-29-2006, 10:48 PM
I have a stock ESC, X speed motor and an 8-cell 9.6 volt 1200 mAh pack. Any one running about or the same and what sort of run time are you getting? I run on cut grass and only get about 8 minutes. Like I was saying in another post I am thinking about getting a 1/10 electric buggy but right now my nitro trucks get much better run time as well as much less time in between runs.
Thanks all! :D

dirtdynamics
04-30-2006, 05:46 AM
the H8 takes up power trying to get over the cut grass.
it was never built to contend with grasssy areas
so avoid grass or just roost on some dirt, battery will last longer

46u
04-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for conforming what I was thinking. If I do no run on grass I do not run, as there are not tracks around here and either I run on grass or a foot of leaves and weeds. I guess it is time to go get a gallon of fuel and nock the dust off my nitro trucks. Being they are bigger and nitro they run throw anything and run times are very good. All so in between runs is just a matter of seconds before running again. I was thinking about building a 1/10 electrical buggy but I am afraid if I go bigger electrical it will be the same. Any one here have a bigger electrical and what sort of run times do you get on cut grass?
Thanks
:D

bermbuster
04-30-2006, 04:26 PM
I have a 1/10 stadium truck and it doesnt like grass either......get about 10 minutes of runtime from 3300s.....thats with a 19t motor....

toxotis70
04-30-2006, 05:08 PM
I have the same setup, and i also run for about 10 minutes (in normal - asphalt track).
I don't know how to "earn" more time !!!
I can't find bigger than 1100 mha 8 cel packs (i live in greece).
Any other options ?
I also tried to find lipos for Mini , but it is disqontinued from rc united.

46u
04-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Don’t get me wrong as both electric and nitro have their place. Looks like when it comes to grass nitro rules. On grass with my nitro I get between 20 to 25 minutes and if I want more I just top the fuel off before running total out or an extra couple of minutes to fuel and start again. To run electric all day with short run time between runs you would have to spend a lot on batteries or spend a lot of your running time cooling and charging. The closes track near me is about 55 miles one-way and they do these 2-hour endure races I would hate to think how many batteries you would have to have. One of the good things is you can use batteries over and over. I like the convince and cleanliness with electric but sure like run time with nitro.

Toxotis70 you can you order batteries from another country? I know they make them up in the 4300 mha range. Thanks all for the input on everything but I think in my situation I do better to stay with nitro other then my Mini-Z F1’s I run on my RCP track indoors. I will keep my mini inferno as I have too much in it to sell. Glade I go the advice before investing $700 or more in a 1/10 electric buggy. Guess I will wait till the get the bugs out of the HPI Hell fire and get one of them.
Thanks all!!!!!

bermbuster
04-30-2006, 08:02 PM
get the jammin truggy.....they are rip snorting awesome.......

46u
04-30-2006, 09:02 PM
I hear the Jammin is a pretty good truck but for what I do my Savage 4.6, MT and Rush do very well. I am going to wait to see if they get the few problems they are having with the Hell Fire worked out and if they come out with a kit I might try one of them. No I do not use Roto starters on any of mine as I have had very little problems with pull starters. How much more run time would I get on grass with a lipo back and can you use them with the stock ESC and a X speed? I would think so.
Thanks for the input.

toxotis70
05-01-2006, 09:29 AM
The problem is WHERE to find lipos for our MI (RC universe doesn't have them any more).

bermbuster
05-01-2006, 11:13 PM
lipos with a non brushless setup will limit you to a 2 cell lipo unless you can find a small footprint esc that can handle 12v(10 cell). I would think in grass you will overheat the x speed motor....

46u
05-04-2006, 09:33 PM
How about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Inferno-11-1v-lithium-polymer-lipo-LI-PO-twin-pack_W0QQitemZ6055272987QQcategoryZ44028QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem
They say for stock eclectics and they have over 6000 100% positive rating. It all so comes with the cut off. But still no one has estimated run time with a Lip. All so my X Speed with a 1200 8 cell gets pretty hot. Depends where you check the temperature anywhere from 200 to 250 degrees. I have about 30 runs on it.
Thanks for all the input.

MrUnlimited
05-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Don’t get me wrong as both electric and nitro have their place.

I run 420cc of fuel in 6 minutes in my 1/8 scale hydroplane! Long runtimes are nice BUT for brushed motors the longer the runtime the more heat it builds up and the shorter the life of the motor. Organizations like IFMAR has set heats on 5minutes for racing therefor. For brushless, depends on the motor, it is the same story. When a battery gives power there is an electrical chemical proces inside the battery. The more amp it draws the more heat will build up inside the battery with a chance of a meltdown and shortcircuit of a cell.

46u
05-07-2006, 07:49 PM
I only bash since there are not any tracks close by and on my 1/10 MT I can run around 20 minutes on 100cc of fuel on grass. Of coarse my engine is much smaller as well as the vehicle then yours. Now when I drop the OS .18 TZ in it I am sure that will change. My Savage does not get quite as much run time about 15 minutes. Do not get me wrong my Mini Inferno is a lot of fun but if I want to run all day I prefer my nitro trucks. With my Mini Inferno if I want to run all day I would have to have quite a few batteries and spend much time charging in between. Now if I am setting around and only want to make a pass I like my Mini Inferno as to get it going the first time is much easier other then waiting on the battery to charge.

I am not as well versed on electric as nitro but the electric people I have talked to say they can run brush less in endurance races with out worrying about the motor for 2 hours at a time. I sure now my little X speed gets up to 200 to 250 degrees after a run depending where you check it. (Heat sink, motor case or the vent holes) Of coarse I am running on grass. Like I said I was thinking about getting an electric buggy but for where I run I think I am better of with my nitro trucks. Thanks for the great conversation.